Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Hawks are now said to be leaning to Doncic, is he really a safe pick ?..

Comments

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:
    Isn’t he just 19. Isn’t that Euro-league pretty tough ? I don’t know if it’s tougher than D1, but it’s got to be close I think. Don’t see how the kid can miss. Still, there are two 6’11 kids that could help a lot. Can’t go wrong I don’t think.

The Euro-League is considered the 2nd best in the world behind The NBA.
    Still, most players who come from there do not fair as well against NBA athletes, that is why trying to estimate the athletic component is important. It's not like going from The Eastern Conference to the Western Conference in The NBA.
    If he is The Hawks' pick, I'll be hopeful, I don't think he'll be a bust, but whether he'll be as valuable as some others on the board at #3 is another question.

He’s younger than most of the Euroleague players that have come through though. There’s a bIf difference in drafting a 19 year old from the Euroleague as opposed to a 22 or 25 year old.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@umooner said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:
    Isn’t he just 19. Isn’t that Euro-league pretty tough ? I don’t know if it’s tougher than D1, but it’s got to be close I think. Don’t see how the kid can miss. Still, there are two 6’11 kids that could help a lot. Can’t go wrong I don’t think.

Still, most players who come from there do not fair as well against NBA athletes, that is why trying to estimate the athletic component is important. It's not like going from The Eastern Conference to the Western Conference in The NBA.
    If he is The Hawks' pick, I'll be hopeful, I don't think he'll be a bust, but whether he'll be as valuable as some others on the board at #3 is another question.

He’s younger than most of the Euroleague players that have come through though. There’s a bIf difference in drafting a 19 year old from the Euroleague as opposed to a 22 or 25 year old.

No doubt his age is something to consider.
    What he's been doing since he was 16 years old is extremely impressive.
    The question remains though, how transferable are those results to The NBA, we can only evaluate the player and person, then take an educated guess. He is not very quick and he doesn't show a lot of lateral movement, but he does the things he does very well. He is in the same position as Trae Young, we know both have gifts, but can they make those strengths work against NBA defenders ?

• Options

Another point about Doncic, he is clearly a rare talent as a passer. I don't see a Magic Johnson who orchestrates the floor though. I see a Jason Kidd who makes very accurate and creative passes within the flow of the game, which is like 2nd level thinking to Magic's 4th level thinking.

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@Thelordjohnson said:
    I also was high on Micheal Porter Jr until injuries.

And if his injuries are healed?

Could be a special talent in 2 to 3 years. I think his opening years will be similar to KD with bad percentages and forced shots til he slows the game down in his head. Suspect defense as well. But still a talent.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

I'd disagree pointing to Jonas in TOR. Vucevic in ORL, Dennis in ATL, both Gasol brothers, Dragic in Miami, Jokic, Porzingis, Gobert, Giannis... There are bust in NCAA as well as Euroleague. Scouting is the end all be all.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Even if he comes to Atlanta and becomes a perennial all=star, it won't really get me excited because of his foreign roots. 'Merica, Baby!

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Atlanta should take doncic and flip him to Boston for scary Terry and a couple of these high picks Boston has in their possession.

• Options
    efreeman3efreeman3 Posts: 99 ✭✭✭ Junior

The Hawks GM should be arrested for robbery. Got Young and the Mavericks 1st round pick in 2019 just to move back two spots. Young has super star potential.

• Options
    HereSoIWontGetFinedHereSoIWontGetFined Posts: 45 ✭✭✭ Junior

The pick is 1-5 protected so we did not rob anybody by any stretch. I would have stuck with Doncic. He would have made me buy a ticket next year. 19 years old and MVP of the second best basketball league...screams potential to me. Trae young does not get me excited for this team at all. He is the riskiest pick in the draft. Reminds me of when the hawks drafted and traded Pau...

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With the 6’7” SG from Maryland, the Hawks are building a GS type thing. I wish that extra #1 wasn’t draft protected. It might still work out.

• Options

It'll probably be a mid round pick. I can see Dallas. Going after Cousins or Jordan and making a playoff push.

• Options

Doncic is 19 years old. I don't care how good he was in the Eurotrash League. He won't make a splash next year. If the Mav's finish outside of pick 5 next year then that will be one of the biggest fleecings in NBA history...

• Options

With pick #30 in the 2018 NBA draft, the Atlanta Hawks select Yante Maten, F, the University of Georgia. As if.....

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

@Bankwalker said:
    Doncic is 19 years old. I don't care how good he was in the Eurotrash League. He won't make a splash next year. If the Mav's finish outside of pick 5 next year then that will be one of the biggest fleecings in NBA history...

I wouldn't say a fleecing. Mavericks coach is good, Donic is good off ball, Barnes, Matthews, and Dirk along with money for one max contract player. They could be a 8 seed and thats good for the DFW area for a start. Only worry is Carlisle hurts most young PGs.

• Options
    HereSoIWontGetFinedHereSoIWontGetFined Posts: 45 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Bankwalker said:

Yes, 19 and MVP playing against guys that have been in the NBA. You think Trae young will make a splash trying to be a poor mans steph?

These euro trash players have beat us teams in the past.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@HereSoIWontGetFined said:
    The pick is 1-5 protected so we did not rob anybody by any stretch. I would have stuck with Doncic. He would have made me buy a ticket next year. 19 years old and MVP of the second best basketball league...screams potential to me. Trae young does not get me excited for this team at all. He is the riskiest pick in the draft. Reminds me of when the hawks drafted and traded Pau...

If Doncic is really that good, we will get that pick next year

• Options

@Bankwalker said:
    Even if he comes to Atlanta and becomes a perennial all=star, it won't really get me excited because of his foreign roots. 'Merica, Baby!

We all have foreign roots, natives' go back 12,000 years or so, we Europe types only a few hundred or less.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

We all have foreign roots, natives' go back 12,000 years or so, we Europe types only a few hundred or less.

That sounds like something an open-borders California liberal might say.