Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The Hawks are now said to be leaning to Doncic, is he really a safe pick ?..

124»

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@texdawg said:

@ChicagoDawg said:
    Doncic is the surest pick in the NBA draft. He may not blow you away with measurables but his ability to see the court is off the charts. He will make everyone playing with him better. In the NBA he will need to improve his physical conditioning through training and diet to adjust to the rigors of NBA life. With the improved training you should see improvements in speed, lateral quickness, and jumping ability. He also has the ability to become a better shooter under the tutelage of the a strong shooting coach. As a player, he will not be the guy you see with the big dunk on ESPN's top ten plays, but with the right group of players around him, you are likely to see his team among the teams with the best record and playing at the end of the season consistently. I think if the Hawks are confident that they can sign him, he will be the pick.

You were right. Most of the "experts" on this forum didn't really know what they were talking about.

I can assure you that we in Dallas were excited to get Doncic on draft night and we are even more excited to have him now.

Turns out the kid can play.

When the Hawks traded Doncic I knew it was a mistake. Instead of Steph Curry, Trae Young looks like Seth Curry

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If I remember correctly, the Hawks weren't real high on Doncic. They wanted Young. Doncic is the one the Mavs really wanted.

I thought the kid would be good - never imagined this good.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    I know, yet another NBA draft thread, but it's tomorrow so it's the right time.
    I just saw a talking head claim that thinking about length and athleticism is outdated....really.
    I agree Doncic's skill set fits today's game, but it has to translate to The NBA, which requires athleticism.

All one needs do ( fancy wording) is look at the top 10 in scoring and assists in The NBA for 2017, they are all excellent athletes.
    When I watch Doncic I'm concerned about whether he can get to the basket to break down defenses, I know he can pass in the open court and shoot a bit, but being it's a certainty you'll get far weaker defense with him than with either Jackson or Bamba, he needs to be exceptional in other areas to warrant being taken at #3, I'm not convinced he has the speed quickness or hops to make his game work at a high level in The NBA.

Where Doncic looks much better than he did in Europe is his athleticism. He's dropped the baby fat and he moves much better.

@donm said:
    With the 6’7” SG from Maryland, the Hawks are building a GS type thing. I wish that extra #1 wasn’t draft protected. It might still work out.

Spellman should develop nicely too, he's a poor man's Draymond Green in the making. Huerter is already a solid player and he'll keep developing.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:
    With the 6’7” SG from Maryland, the Hawks are building a GS type thing. I wish that extra #1 wasn’t draft protected. It might still work out.

Spellman should develop nicely too, he's a poor man's Draymond Green in the making. Huerter is already a solid player and he'll keep developing.

Curry, Thompson et al weren’t thought of as the best players in their drafts. GS was built with a bunch of “good” players - players who became better than good - more good or even gooder if you will. Hawks might could do that.

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

Curry, Thompson et al weren’t thought of as the best players in their drafts. GS was built with a bunch of “good” players - players who became better than good - more good or even gooder if you will. Hawks might could do that.

We got John Collins at #21 in 2017. He just turned 21 in Sep. and he's already a near star. In 3 years when the roster starts to mature he could well be a top 10 or 15 player in the league.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@rednavel said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

We got John Collins at #21 in 2017. He just turned 21 in Sep. and he's already a near star. In 3 years when the roster starts to mature he could well be a top 10 or 15 player in the league.

Ooh I think you’re pegging him a bit too high, though I do agree he could become a star in his own right. I honestly probably haven’t watched enough of Collins, but you do you think he has the chops to get his own shot and be the go-to guy offensively when teams focus on him?

Likely not, but that is why it's important to find several more players that can help shoulder the load. Kind of like GS, where just about anyone they put out on the floor can, on any given night, do a pretty good job. Somewhere, we likely have to get at least one great player - 4 to carry the piano and one to play it.

@rednavel said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

Ooh I think you’re pegging him a bit too high, though I do agree he could become a star in his own right. I honestly probably haven’t watched enough of Collins, but you do you think he has the chops to get his own shot and be the go-to guy offensively when teams focus on him?

Teams won't be able to focus on him as much when he has a good team around him. He is very athletic though, he can get open. Again, at 20 years old he's already on the cusp of being a 20 pt 10 rebound player, as of yesterday there are only 5 players who meet both standards this season.

edited December 2018

@texdawg said:

@ChicagoDawg said:
    Doncic is the surest pick in the NBA draft. He may not blow you away with measurables but his ability to see the court is off the charts. He will make everyone playing with him better. In the NBA he will need to improve his physical conditioning through training and diet to adjust to the rigors of NBA life. With the improved training you should see improvements in speed, lateral quickness, and jumping ability. He also has the ability to become a better shooter under the tutelage of the a strong shooting coach. As a player, he will not be the guy you see with the big dunk on ESPN's top ten plays, but with the right group of players around him, you are likely to see his team among the teams with the best record and playing at the end of the season consistently. I think if the Hawks are confident that they can sign him, he will be the pick.

You were right. Most of the "experts" on this forum didn't really know what they were talking about.

I can assure you that we in Dallas were excited to get Doncic on draft night and we are even more excited to have him now.

Turns out the kid can play.

Somebody posted Young is more like Seth Curry, Seth has averaged 9 pts and under 2 assist through his career. Young is averaging 16 pts and 7.2 assist early in his rookie season. He doesn't really compare to either Curry brother. His 2 big negatives defense and 3 pt shooting, defense was never going to be a strength, his 3 pt shooting has been shockingly bad though, he's among the worst in the league right now. He can get stronger and become a middling defender, he HAS TO improve his shooting though, he is a liability when he chucks 3 pt bricks all game and hits 1 in 4 of them.

Also, Doncic is about the same as Young on 2 pt shots, he has been better on 3s though, whoda thunk it ?

edited December 2018

@Kasey said:

@Kasey said:
    Highest floor in the draft imo

B)

Time will tell, Jaren Jackson already has the 19th best defensive metric in The NBA, not just for his position, for the entire league. He is 6'11' he has a 7'5'' wingspan, he can shoot the 3 and he can cover any spot on the court defensively. It's no coincidence his Memphis team is giving up the fewest PPG in The NBA.