Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Chris Hinton Flipping??

Comments

• Options
    DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JKFlyfish said:

@FirePlugDawg said:
    That would be a super twofer indeed. As to academics, I know there are exceptions but in the main, UGA can give an undergraduate experience comparable to Mich. For many years, graduate and professional programs are where the real distinctions are prominent. And, again, there are exceptions and I am speaking of good schools as the starting point.

Work that mojo, Kirby! Go Dawgs!.

As someone who went to Michigan and UGA, I can tell you that UGA has a MUCH better student/undergraduate experience than Michigan does. The campus is nicer, the people are friendlier and there's more to do (food is way better too). However, Michigan is academically much better, and it's not really comparable. Michigan is regularly tied for the top rated public university (academically) in the nation along with Cal-Berkeley & Virginia. I had to really bust it in the classroom just stay above water at Michigan.

Michigan is academically better... but it's not by a huge degree anymore. UGA has been on an upward trend for the last 30 years academically. The latest US News rankings has UGA at #16 for public schools, tied with Ohio State, just ahead of Texas, just behind PSU. Michigan is #4. So while UM is a higher ranked school... the gap isn't what you suggest.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:
    The Hinton family values academic prestige so if Chris were to flip, I’d imagine Stanford would be his destination.

I don't buy that because most 5-star guys don't even graduate. This guy will play for 3 years then go to the NFL. Whenever a blue-chip starts talking about how important "academics" are I laugh. I believe Hinton will flip to UGA as Michigan suffers through another weak showing and a coaching change there heats up. I put OP in that same category. I think he will be rethinking his commitment after the beat-down we are going to lay on Auburn. I hope he is able to attend that game on either sideline.

• Options
    edited June 2018

@DawginSC said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@FirePlugDawg said:
    That would be a super twofer indeed. As to academics, I know there are exceptions but in the main, UGA can give an undergraduate experience comparable to Mich. For many years, graduate and professional programs are where the real distinctions are prominent. And, again, there are exceptions and I am speaking of good schools as the starting point.

As someone who went to Michigan and UGA, I can tell you that UGA has a MUCH better student/undergraduate experience than Michigan does. The campus is nicer, the people are friendlier and there's more to do (food is way better too). However, Michigan is academically much better, and it's not really comparable. Michigan is regularly tied for the top rated public university (academically) in the nation along with Cal-Berkeley & Virginia. I had to really bust it in the classroom just stay above water at Michigan.

Michigan is academically better... but it's not by a huge degree anymore. UGA has been on an upward trend for the last 30 years academically. The latest US News rankings has UGA at #16 for public schools, tied with Ohio State, just ahead of Texas, just behind PSU. Michigan is #4. So while UM is a higher ranked school... the gap isn't what you suggest.

And a lot of times those rankings included stuff like reputation, social services, campus facilities, overall budget, number of professors with PHDs (which does not always mean they are better teachers) and other school criteria that aren't necessarily critical to a great academic experience. Not sure how one would quantify the difference between a degree from UM and UGA.

Grading criteria from the US News and World Report:
    The indicators used to capture academic quality fall into a number of categories: graduation and first-year student retention rates, assessment by administrators at peer institutions, faculty resources, admissions selectivity, financial resources, alumni giving, graduation rate performance

• Options

@bmauldin said:

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@JKFlyfish said:

The gals in Athens are better looking.

Coeds factor:
    Uga= gorgeous/attire is “appropriate for warm climates”/faces for tv
    Michigan= pasty white/wear sweatpants/faces for radio

This is 100% accurate. What is said here about Michigan applies to pretty much every northern school. I went to WAZZU and that is exactly what I saw. Years later I spent 4 years in Athens and was absolutely blown away by the quality of the coed population. Night and day difference.

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@tiger_62082 said:
    The Hinton family values academic prestige so if Chris were to flip, I’d imagine Stanford would be his destination.

I don't buy that because most 5-star guys don't even graduate. This guy will play for 3 years then go to the NFL. Whenever a blue-chip starts talking about how important "academics" are I laugh. I believe Hinton will flip to UGA as Michigan suffers through another weak showing and a coaching change there heats up. I put OP in that same category. I think he will be rethinking his commitment after the beat-down we are going to lay on Auburn. I hope he is able to attend that game on either sideline.

I agree with your premise of 3 n gone...keep in mind though many of these guys still graduate from the schools they attend, later on. I hope Hinton flips...I’ve said in other posts I think he’s overrated based on tape, shouldn’t be 5 Star. JMO. If everyone else says he’s legit it must be my cataracts.

• Options
    tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@tiger_62082 said:

Pappoe won't have a spot when Rian Davis and Nakobe Dean come aboard. There will be no room at the inn. Believe what you want. There are kids who base their recruitment on academics & Stanford and Michigan benefit from this. Some folks graduate early and either become grad transfers or enter masters programs. I have not put it past Hinton to flip but stated as things stand right now, I don't see it. It is recruiting and anything can happen. Shea Patterson could be a bust & Michigan struggles and he remains faithful or Michigan has a great season and Dan Lanning convinces him to switch.

• Options
  • Options
    greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

@pgjackson said:

@tiger_62082 said:

Pappoe won't have a spot when Rian Davis and Nakobe Dean come aboard. There will be no room at the inn. Believe what you want. There are kids who base their recruitment on academics & Stanford and Michigan benefit from this. Some folks graduate early and either become grad transfers or enter masters programs. I have not put it past Hinton to flip but stated as things stand right now, I don't see it. It is recruiting and anything can happen. Shea Patterson could be a bust & Michigan struggles and he remains faithful or Michigan has a great season and Dan Lanning convinces him to switch.

Davis and Dean "makes my mouf wauta" as ol coach Donnan says.

Do you think we hold on to Trezmon?

• Options
    tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greygoose01 said:

@tiger_62082 said:

@pgjackson said:

@tiger_62082 said:

Davis and Dean "makes my mouf wauta" as ol coach Donnan says.

Do you think we hold on to Trezmon?

I believe that everyone committed to Georgia at linebacker is a firm, ride or die take no matter what.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2018

@JKFlyfish said:

@DawginSC said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

As someone who went to Michigan ..... a gap of 8 schools or 26 schools is large or not is really just a matter of opinion. I certainly respect the fact that you don't have to agree with my opinion.

an EIGHT school gap? You went to Michigan, right? (Shake it off, couldn't resist).

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@DawginSC said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

And a lot of times those rankings included stuff like reputation, social services, campus facilities, overall budget, number of professors with PHDs (which does not always mean they are better teachers) and other school criteria that aren't necessarily critical to a great academic experience. Not sure how one would quantify the difference between a degree from UM and UGA.

Grading criteria from the US News and World Report:
    The indicators used to capture academic quality fall into a number of categories: graduation and first-year student retention rates, assessment by administrators at peer institutions, faculty resources, admissions selectivity, financial resources, alumni giving, graduation rate performance

Plus many schools must take any in-state HS grad otherwise qualifying thereby decreasing the selectively and lowering the average SAT/ACT scores; and many commonly use graduate assistants (PhD candidates) or non-tenure, very junior (essentially transient) professors to teach the core curriculum classes - so that a star professor is a rarity unless a upper level class is selected. And even then, there may be a small chance of getting into that class due to popularity.

There are exceptions as I said earlier. Elite schools have the big advantage of career impact of both student and alumni contacts. I have no idea how UGA stacks up, unless he intends to work in Michigan. As I said earlier (differently), he can make his academic bones in graduate or professional school. Good grades and being a starter on a Power 5 team plus a few athletic accolades will likely get him onto whatever graduate school he would want.

• Options
    JKFlyfishJKFlyfish Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@DawginSC said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

As someone who went to Michigan ..... a gap of 8 schools or 26 schools is large or not is really just a matter of opinion. I certainly respect the fact that you don't have to agree with my opinion.

an EIGHT school gap? You went to Michigan, right? (Shake it off, couldn't resist).

Believe me - at the price I paid, I wish I could use this to get my money back! Hahaha

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

My Niece is a 2014 graduate of The Terry School. That diploma got her letters from many of the best companies in the world.

• Options
    MotorCityDawgMotorCityDawg Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This.....this would be magical.

• Options
    dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't think flip with his actions at this point. He has shown one direction .
    It would take some different direction to think flip. Show up at Georgia, talk postive about Georgia, does someone hear or see that with him ?

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jtdawg2020 said:
    Just got wind that the staff isn’t worried about recent misses bc they are going after bigger fish. One of the names to keep an eye on is Chris Hinton. Staff is pushing hard and feels good about a dual commitment from him and his brother. (Possible Sentell commitment video in the works?!?). Also remember that Hinton is good friends with other three guys committed already (Blalock, Goede, and Bertrand). It’s a full court press with staff and current commits. I believe it has started with Pittman recruiting his younger brother in class of 2020 who is a five star OT. Wouldn’t be surprised bc Pittman and McGhee have been maning this recruiting ship since they have been here. Let’s just sit back and watch this unfold! Go Dawgs!!

@jtdawg2020 Amen brother!!! Preach it!!! This stuff RIGHT HERE BABY!!! GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgbybirth said:
    I don't think flip with his actions at this point. He has shown one direction .
    It would take some different direction to think flip. Show up at Georgia, talk postive about Georgia, does someone hear or see that with him ?

Capt khakis gets fired this year. I think he at least considers flipping

• Options

Hinton is the blow horn in his class for UM. Similiar to LeCounte and K. Jackson, and N. Smith for us. I doubt this kid flips.