Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Chris Hinton Flipping??

Comments

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Harbaugh doesn’t beat OSU and at least play for the B10 championship I think he’s gone. He has cost that school a fortune with all his crazy team word-travel expenses and camps across the country...all of which have had zero effect on the field. That’s a lot of money to land the #21 recruiting class in 2018. All that hype and questionable recruiting tactics and still bringing in mostly 3-star players. If UM goes 8-5 again he will be gone. If that happens Hinton will flip.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:

@dawgbybirth said:
    I don't think flip with his actions at this point. He has shown one direction .
    It would take some different direction to think flip. Show up at Georgia, talk postive about Georgia, does someone hear or see that with him ?

Capt khakis gets fired this year. I think he at least considers flipping

I don't think Hairball is in any real danger of getting fired, at least not in the near future.
    We have a great situation for both Hinton brothers in a great program, a great town and close to home, they wouldn't be making a mistake coming here.

• Options
    MotorCityDawgMotorCityDawg Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 2018

@dawgbybirth said:
    It would take some different direction to think flip. Show up at Georgia, talk postive about Georgia, does someone hear or see that with him ?

I believe in recruiting magic, AKA the communications stuff that goes on in the background. Cox was pretty dead set on the CuckEyes for months and said nothing to give us any hope. Different scenario here with the parents I know, but I also think another playoff run will eliminate the "one hit wonder" thought process. Prove we're more than capable of making it to the playoffs annually. That should open a lot of doors, regardless of Hinton's parents' thoughts on UGA academics vs UM academics.

• Options
    dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@bmauldin said:

@dawgbybirth said:

Agree with you. Think Michigan has a good year but might be 4th behind Wisconsin, OSU, and PSU. Do you think that gets an alumunis fired? Exlude Hinton, I do not know much on Michigan recruiting, but I do not see a buzz. How many losses are acceptable to your biggest rivals. I would bet Dolphin owner Stephen Ross has a big voice in coachs decisions at Michigan with his contributions to school.

• Options

@MotorCityDawg said:

@dawgbybirth said:

I believe in recruiting magic, AKA the communications stuff that goes on in the background. Cox was pretty dead set on the CuckEyes for months and said nothing to give us any hope. Different scenario here with the parents I know, but I also think another playoff run will eliminate the "one hit wonder" thought process. Prove we're more than capable of making it to the playoffs annually. That should open a lot of doors, regardless of Hinton's parents' thoughts on UGA academics vs UM academics.

There is precedence is what you say. Dom Blaylock number 1 target is Chris Hinton.

• Options

@dawgbybirth said:

@bmauldin said:

@dawgbybirth said:

Agree with you. Think Michigan has a good year but might be 4th behind Wisconsin, OSU, and PSU. Do you think that gets an alumunis fired? Exlude Hinton, I do not know much on Michigan recruiting, but I do not see a buzz. How many losses are acceptable to your biggest rivals. I would bet Dolphin owner Stephen Ross has a big voice in coachs decisions at Michigan with his contributions to school.

If you're counting on Harbaugh being fired, you're placing a losing bet.
    I think Kirby and staff will sell an excellent product and if he flips it will be our strengths that seals the deal.
    I think his parents are likely the biggest obstacles, get them on campus and see how it goes.

• Options

@Red_N_Black said:
    Let's face it. It is always hard to flip a young man who is committed to Michigan. Especially if that young man is into things like staying indoors (a lot), rusted cars, ice-fishing, bowling and the allure of the Detroit night life. I mean how can Athens hope to compete with that?

It's in Ann Arbor, but I see your point.
    It's cold up yonder.

• Options
    MotorCityDawgMotorCityDawg Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@dawgbybirth said:

@MotorCityDawg said:

@dawgbybirth said:

There is precedence is what you say. Dom Blaylock number 1 target is Chris Hinton.

Excellent

• Options
    edited June 2018

@WCDawg said:

@dawgbybirth said:

@bmauldin said:

@dawgbybirth said:

If you're counting on Harbaugh being fired, you're placing a losing bet.
    I think Kirby and staff will sell an excellent product and if he flips it will be our strengths that seals the deal.
    I think his parents are likely the biggest obstacles, get them on campus and see how it goes.

I agree with you ,Harbaugh will be retained, but he needs to win against rivals. Family is always important in recruiting. I know we are doing the right things in his recruitment. Sometimes it's not you.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IF there was ever a head coach (like CKS), or a university (like UGA), or a team (like ours!) with THE chemistry that could “flip” a Michigan commit?? That would be what’s currently at GEORGIA!!! Just ask my man Otis Reese!!! GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    bobbypiperbobbypiper Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

@christopherules said:
    IF there was ever a head coach (like CKS), or a university (like UGA), or a team (like ours!) with THE chemistry that could “flip” a Michigan commit?? That would be what’s currently at GEORGIA!!! Just ask my man Otis Reese!!! GO DAWGS!!!

Agree, heck in SicEm 17, Michigan fans were sure they had Wilson locked and Pittboss took him. Last year they thought they had OMMR locked and Kirby snatched him away. Might as well give it to them every year. I say this year we give them a double dose, flip Hinton and transfer Solomon. Their fans would have a melt down!

• Options
    DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@DawginSC said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@FirePlugDawg said:
    That would be a super twofer indeed. As to academics, I know there are exceptions but in the main, UGA can give an undergraduate experience comparable to Mich. For many years, graduate and professional programs are where the real distinctions are prominent. And, again, there are exceptions and I am speaking of good schools as the starting point.

Work that mojo, Kirby! Go Dawgs!.

As someone who went to Michigan and UGA, I can tell you that UGA has a MUCH better student/undergraduate experience than Michigan does. The campus is nicer, the people are friendlier and there's more to do (food is way better too). However, Michigan is academically much better, and it's not really comparable. Michigan is regularly tied for the top rated public university (academically) in the nation along with Cal-Berkeley & Virginia. I had to really bust it in the classroom just stay above water at Michigan.

Michigan is academically better... but it's not by a huge degree anymore. UGA has been on an upward trend for the last 30 years academically. The latest US News rankings has UGA at #16 for public schools, tied with Ohio State, just ahead of Texas, just behind PSU. Michigan is #4. So while UM is a higher ranked school... the gap isn't what you suggest.

And a lot of times those rankings included stuff like reputation, social services, campus facilities, overall budget, number of professors with PHDs (which does not always mean they are better teachers) and other school criteria that aren't necessarily critical to a great academic experience. Not sure how one would quantify the difference between a degree from UM and UGA.

Grading criteria from the US News and World Report:
    The indicators used to capture academic quality fall into a number of categories: graduation and first-year student retention rates, assessment by administrators at peer institutions, faculty resources, admissions selectivity, financial resources, alumni giving, graduation rate performance

Regardless of how you feel about grading criteria... you're going to have to pick one to look at in order to say a school is "better" academically. Regardless of which you choose, you'll see the same pattern with UGA... a pretty meteoric rise over the last 30 years or so. US News and World Report is the standard and has UGA at 16 and Michigan at 4. Forbes has UGA at 24 and Michigan at 4.

You can argue the specifics if you like... but it shows the same thing. Michigan in the top 5, UGA moving upward toward/into the top 20. Which was my point... the gap in whatever rankings you prefer has been constantly shrinking and is reaching the point of not mattering a whole lot.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawginSC said:

@pgjackson said:

@DawginSC said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@FirePlugDawg said:
    That would be a super twofer indeed. As to academics, I know there are exceptions but in the main, UGA can give an undergraduate experience comparable to Mich. For many years, graduate and professional programs are where the real distinctions are prominent. And, again, there are exceptions and I am speaking of good schools as the starting point.

As someone who went to Michigan and UGA, I can tell you that UGA has a MUCH better student/undergraduate experience than Michigan does. The campus is nicer, the people are friendlier and there's more to do (food is way better too). However, Michigan is academically much better, and it's not really comparable. Michigan is regularly tied for the top rated public university (academically) in the nation along with Cal-Berkeley & Virginia. I had to really bust it in the classroom just stay above water at Michigan.

Michigan is academically better... but it's not by a huge degree anymore. UGA has been on an upward trend for the last 30 years academically. The latest US News rankings has UGA at #16 for public schools, tied with Ohio State, just ahead of Texas, just behind PSU. Michigan is #4. So while UM is a higher ranked school... the gap isn't what you suggest.

And a lot of times those rankings included stuff like reputation, social services, campus facilities, overall budget, number of professors with PHDs (which does not always mean they are better teachers) and other school criteria that aren't necessarily critical to a great academic experience. Not sure how one would quantify the difference between a degree from UM and UGA.

The indicators used to capture academic quality fall into a number of categories: graduation and first-year student retention rates, assessment by administrators at peer institutions, faculty resources, admissions selectivity, financial resources, alumni giving, graduation rate performance

Regardless of how you feel about grading criteria... you're going to have to pick one to look at in order to say a school is "better" academically. Regardless of which you choose, you'll see the same pattern with UGA... a pretty meteoric rise over the last 30 years or so. US News and World Report is the standard and has UGA at 16 and Michigan at 4. Forbes has UGA at 24 and Michigan at 4.

You can argue the specifics if you like... but it shows the same thing. Michigan in the top 5, UGA moving upward toward/into the top 20. Which was my point... the gap in whatever rankings you prefer has been constantly shrinking and is reaching the point of not mattering a whole lot.

one thing I remember from somewhere is "equal interval scale". Is the difference between 4 and 5 the same as the difference between 15 and16? What exactly does the difference between 4 and 16 actually mean? I don't know enough about the process used to determine these #'s and rankings, but I'd be willing to bet there is a good deal of subjectivity involved...starting with the criteria chosen to evaluate each school. The schools at the top seem to always be at the top...I wonder if that ever changes.

• Options

@DawginSC said:

@pgjackson said:

@DawginSC said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

In addition to all this, a major factor in their formula is "reputation". Essentially, what do people think about the school. Kind of hard to quantify someone's opinion of a school. Anyway, my point is the USNaWR is a good indicator, but I wouldn't take it as gospel, ie the #5 school is "better" than #10. Michigan is a good school. So is UGA. I think my original comment is that it is a bit absurd to pick Michigan over UGA because of academics.

• Options

@donm said:

@DawginSC said:

@pgjackson said:

@DawginSC said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

one thing I remember from somewhere is "equal interval scale". Is the difference between 4 and 5 the same as the difference between 15 and16? What exactly does the difference between 4 and 16 actually mean? I don't know enough about the process used to determine these #'s and rankings, but I'd be willing to bet there is a good deal of subjectivity involved...starting with the criteria chosen to evaluate each school. The schools at the top seem to always be at the top...I wonder if that ever changes.

Yes, check out their grading criteria. A big factor is "reputation"...essentially these schools keep voting each other at the top.

• Options
    DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Again... feel free to suggest another criteria.

They all show the same trend. You're arguing details that are in my opinion not important. The point (regardless of which ranking you favor) is that while Michigan is a very good school, UGA's academics have advanced over the last 30 years to such a degree that "academics" is not really a valid reason for choosing any public school over UGA anymore. Yes, there are some that are better... but generally the difference has narrowed to the point that it isn't material... at least not with other public schools. It wasn't that long ago that UGA was classified as similar to schools like Ole Miss... and there was a big gap between that ranking and the Michigan/UNC's of the world. 15 years ago or so we were more like Michigan State or Florida State... objectively good schools but clearly a step behind UNC/Michigan. Now were more in the general area of Texas and PSU... and that's simply not far behind at all to the UNC/Michigan's of the world.

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawginSC said:
    Again... feel free to suggest another criteria.

They all show the same trend. You're arguing details that are in my opinion not important. The point (regardless of which ranking you favor) is that while Michigan is a very good school, UGA's academics have advanced over the last 30 years to such a degree that "academics" is not really a valid reason for choosing any public school over UGA anymore. Yes, there are some that are better... but generally the difference has narrowed to the point that it isn't material... at least not with other public schools. It wasn't that long ago that UGA was classified as similar to schools like Ole Miss... and there was a big gap between that ranking and the Michigan/UNC's of the world. 15 years ago or so we were more like Michigan State or Florida State... objectively good schools but clearly a step behind UNC/Michigan. Now were more in the general area of Texas and PSU... and that's simply not far behind at all to the UNC/Michigan's of the world.

If I were the UGA coaches, I’d be arguing this very point. My entire pitch would be academic based. They need to get Gridiron in on the pitch.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Hinton wants to study a major that UM specializes in, if I remember correctly. Has something to do with sleep studies. Not sure if UGA has that major. But I agree with others on here, UGA academics has improved steadily and isn’t far off from UM.

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was lucky enough and fortunate enough to have received my doctorate degree in pharmacy from the wonderful University of Georgia, hence the username of PharmDawg. Having said that I will offer my honest opinion about the “education” and the difference in these rankings since that seems to be where this conversation has turned. My personal opinion is that the school itself, if ranked even in the top 20, does not make much of any difference. I do not believe there is a vast difference in the education provided by these institutions or that there is a vast difference in educational opportunities at these institutions. The difference is the students themselves and the selection process that goes into accepting these students. UGA’s pharmacy school is highly rated and hard to get into, as a result the students around me who were accepted were all top tier students capable of learning large amounts of difficult material in a short period of time. The education itself would have suffered if the program allowed students to enter who were not as capable of learning the material. Teach to the lowest level of education in the class, correct?

I am sure it is similar with coaching football. It is a lot easier for Kirby to mold talent when he gets in good recruits. So my point is that I really do not think there is much difference in the educational opportunities between Michigan and UGA. I do however believe that Michigan is probably a little more strict on their selection process at this time. However, as it was said before, UGA is bridging that gap and their selection process for who they allow into the school is getting more strict. I would not hesitate to send my child to UGA even if they also had a full ride scholarship to Michigan or UNC, the educational opportunities are not that much different.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    I was lucky enough and fortunate enough to have received my doctorate degree in pharmacy from the wonderful University of Georgia, hence the username of PharmDawg. Having said that I will offer my honest opinion about the “education” and the difference in these rankings since that seems to be where this conversation has turned. My personal opinion is that the school itself, if ranked even in the top 20, does not make much of any difference. I do not believe there is a vast difference in the education provided by these institutions or that there is a vast difference in educational opportunities at these institutions. The difference is the students themselves and the selection process that goes into accepting these students. UGA’s pharmacy school is highly rated and hard to get into, as a result the students around me who were accepted were all top tier students capable of learning large amounts of difficult material in a short period of time. The education itself would have suffered if the program allowed students to enter who were not as capable of learning the material. Teach to the lowest level of education in the class, correct?

I am sure it is similar with coaching football. It is a lot easier for Kirby to mold talent when he gets in good recruits. So my point is that I really do not think there is much difference in the educational opportunities between Michigan and UGA. I do however believe that Michigan is probably a little more strict on their selection process at this time. However, as it was said before, UGA is bridging that gap and their selection process for who they allow into the school is getting more strict. I would not hesitate to send my child to UGA even if they also had a full ride scholarship to Michigan or UNC, the educational opportunities are not that much different.

I think most D1 schools can get academic waivers - players who don't meet the admission criteria that "regular" students do. I know UGA does it (or has done it) and it would be hard to convince me that other "academic giants" don't do it as well. A few years back I knew a fellow coach who's son went to Stanford. This coach told me that Stanford puts admission value on non-academic, extracurricular success - it counted maybe 1/3 of the total admissions formula. So someone who was an incredible musician, or artist or athlete could have a very strong admissions case. I'm not saying Stanford plays with a lot of dummies - just that schools find ways to get athletes. Don't know how many waivers UGA can get....I thought I read they are done on a case by case basis and we may have lost as many as we've gotten over the years. Look at Tech...they used waivers a good bit with their basketball team years back.