Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

How did you become a Georgia fan?

Comments

• Options
    shhmittyshhmitty Posts: 284 ✭✭✭ Junior

@ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:
    I honestly don't know how I became a dawg fan. Born and raised just outside of Columbia SC, all of my family are chicken fans and somewhere around 10 years old I started asking for UGA hats and shirts. I cant remember ever pulling for any other team except Georgia....maybe it was the site of UGA, or the silver britches....but one thing is certain. After 35 years of heckling from gamecocks I have always loved my Dawgs. I converted my wife and now we are raising 2 little Dawgs of our own who love Saturdays in Athens just as much as I do.

Do you still live in Columbia?

Just 10 minutes northeast in Lugoff.

Not far from me. I live by the VA off Garners Ferry.

I know exactly where you are.> @ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:
    I honestly don't know how I became a dawg fan. Born and raised just outside of Columbia SC, all of my family are chicken fans and somewhere around 10 years old I started asking for UGA hats and shirts. I cant remember ever pulling for any other team except Georgia....maybe it was the site of UGA, or the silver britches....but one thing is certain. After 35 years of heckling from gamecocks I have always loved my Dawgs. I converted my wife and now we are raising 2 little Dawgs of our own who love Saturdays in Athens just as much as I do.

I know exactly where you are. Have you ever done anything with the Cola Alumni Club?

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The thing about being raised by English Bulldogs is mostly true, maybe 80% so.
    The other way I grew into a Georgia fan is my hs, Cedartown High, has an English Bulldog mascot ( no relation though) our colors are red and black, we even have hedges along the sidelines. Add in the fact long time Georgia freshmen team head coach Doc Ayres was hired away from Cedartown by Vince Dooley and the die was cast early.

• Options
    montez32montez32 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

Father was military and he retired in Georgia and that was the longest place I had ever lived. I was born in Alabama my mom also Bama raised and of course she and her whole side of the family are Bama fans but since I lived in Georgia I wanted to support the home team and not get corrupted into being a Bama fan (cocky fans). Actually was my only sport I was able to pick and love, my dad wasn't a fan of college football. Everything else I got from him. I LOVE MY DAWGS it could of been easy being a Bama fan with all their ships but I wanted to support something I felt could be great and I believe it is great. Although I've never seen them win a chip in my lifetime I am still all Dawg and will always be.

• Options
    cf_ugamancf_ugaman Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From GA some family went to UGA. Didn't really get into it until I went to the UGA LSU sec championship in 2005...never looked back after that man what an experience that was.

• Options
    ColaDawg86ColaDawg86 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@shhmitty said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:

@shhmitty said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:

I know exactly where you are. Have you ever done anything with the Cola Alumni Club?

No, because I'm not an alumni. Just a fan from childhood.

• Options

@cf_ugaman said:
    From GA some family went to UGA. Didn't really get into it until I went to the UGA LSU sec championship in 2005...never looked back after that man what an experience that was.

That was a great game from kickoff!

• Options
    shhmittyshhmitty Posts: 284 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2018

@ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:

@shhmitty said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:

Neither am I, but the way some of their information reads you can participate if your a non-alumni fan also. I've thought about contacting them to get clarification on this. It would be nice to get together with other UGA fans during games when I can't make it to Athens. I think they are having a UGA night at the Fireflies game in a week or so.

• Options

@shhmitty said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:

@shhmitty said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:

Neither am I, but the way some of their information reads you can participate if your a non-alumni fan also. I've thought about contacting them to get clarification on this. It would be nice to get together with other UGA fans during games when I can't make it to Athens. I think they are having a UGA night at the Fireflies game in a week or so.

It's definitely better to watch games with other fans. I went to the Alumni group watch parties in Tampa and it was awkward after I told them that I wasn't an Alumni.

• Options
    DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

... We do have a black sheep or two... or ten, but they're still family.

And that is why I'm a Dawg fan. Best fan base. Period.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was around 4 and my mother came in and woke me up. She started putting all kinds of clothes and jackets on me. We were living in Brunswick at the time, but my father and grandfather took me to Jacksonville. I don’t remember much other than it being cold, my grandfather putting a ton of salt on my tomatoe at the Waffle House, and him giving me his stuffed Uga that rode in back window of his Buick. I was sold after receiving the stuffed Uga. Many trips and many games has only convinced me that I was raised right.

• Options
    cf_ugamancf_ugaman Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ColaDawg86 said:

@cf_ugaman said:

That was a great game from kickoff!

Yes it sure was! Kneeling at the 1/2 yd line so great.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2018

The BEST part??? Making FOUR NEW little Georgia DAWGFANS out of my kids!! (that is five when you include my lovely wife too!)

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@shhmitty said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:

@shhmitty said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:

I know where every one of you are at every moment, AND what you're doing.
    Please stop > @christopherules said:

The BEST part??? Making FOUR NEW little Georgia DAWGFANS out of my kids!! (that is five when you include my lovely wife too!)

It's never been a family thing for us.
    My parents had no interest in sports and only 1 of my 7 siblings is a Geogia fan.
    I do have a half brother who was a walk on ST player at Bama though.
    Our roots actually run very deep in The Tuscaloosa area. I was born there, 5 of my siblings as well. Both my parents, at least 3 of my grandparents and 2 great grand parents are from that area. We go back at least to the 1830s when there were just 2000 to 3000 white people in that area.

• Options
    tymoon31tymoon31 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My grandpa lived in Athens. The day i was born i had on a GA beanie and onesie. Been lovin it ever since. Wanted to go to UGA but the Marines felt like the right place.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BojanglesInsider said:
    When I first ran away from my loving home and wonderful parents to pursue a career in biscuit culinary arts I went to Athens first. Seemed natural to me. One day these nice people tailgating at UGA home games took pity and fed me.

I blended in and became one of them. It was a matter of survival. I've been showing up and eating their food every year ever since. In a way you could say I'm a bigger UGA fan than any of you

Are you over 6'1" ?

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BojanglesInsider said:

@donm said:

@BojanglesInsider said:
    When I first ran away from my loving home and wonderful parents to pursue a career in biscuit culinary arts I went to Athens first. Seemed natural to me. One day these nice people tailgating at UGA home games took pity and fed me.

I blended in and became one of them. It was a matter of survival. I've been showing up and eating their food every year ever since. In a way you could say I'm a bigger UGA fan than any of you

Are you over 6'1" ?

In heels, yes, I'm 6'6 then. OK maybe not literally a bigger UGA fan, but when they lose the nice people become not nice people and I don't eat. My life depends on them winning bigly.

Next ? since you are over 6'1", what is your hip fluidity like?

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was born into it by the grace of God. I was fortunate enough to go to UGA as a student where I met myself my wonderful wife who happened to be a cheerleader. I guess you can say I really out-kicked my own coverage on that one. I still drink the same kool-aid everyday that is RED

• Options
    jgwade99jgwade99 Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

As a teenager in 1978, I was watching the UGA vs. Tech on TV with my Mama. I was on the fence trying to figure out who I wanted to win. She said you just have to pick with and stich with them no matter what.

The Dawgs trailed Tech the whole game and finally took the lead on a Scott Woerner punt return in the 4th quarter. However, Tech returned the ensuing kickoff for a touchdown to retake the lead. In the end, Buck Belue lead the Dawgs on a touchdown drive and they converted a 2-point conversion for the win.

I've been a Dawg fan since.

• Options
    MyKeithbb09MyKeithbb09 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was born a UGA fan for life being from Albany Ga. Yes FSU,FLA & some others recruit in South Ga but it's still DawgNation there & forever Will be