Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

How did you become a Georgia fan?

Comments

• Options
    ColaDawg86ColaDawg86 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was born in Carrollton. My mom is a huge Bama fan and I remember her making me where bama clothes. We moved to Norcross in 91'. I started kindergarten that year and living in Historic Norcross my bus stop was on the main street in front of B&W autopart store. The owner Mr. Wayne allowed me to wait inside for the bus. He is a big time Georgia fan and seeing all the Dawg pictures in his store just made me fall in love with them. From then on I only watched the Dawgs. My earliest memory that I can remember was Bobo as QB and also have vivid memories when Quincy Carter was under center.

To this day my mom and I have a love hate relationship over college football.

• Options
    shhmittyshhmitty Posts: 284 ✭✭✭ Junior

@ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:
    I honestly don't know how I became a dawg fan. Born and raised just outside of Columbia SC, all of my family are chicken fans and somewhere around 10 years old I started asking for UGA hats and shirts. I cant remember ever pulling for any other team except Georgia....maybe it was the site of UGA, or the silver britches....but one thing is certain. After 35 years of heckling from gamecocks I have always loved my Dawgs. I converted my wife and now we are raising 2 little Dawgs of our own who love Saturdays in Athens just as much as I do.

Do you still live in Columbia?

Just 10 minutes northeast in Lugoff.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Born in La Porte, In and raised in Lake Zurich, Il. In 1980, I lived in Tempe, AZ. Back in those days, I was a big AZST fan with players like John Jefferson and future Falcons great, Sohpmore Gerald Riggs. But it was at work, we had this bartender. And that was going on and on about the the Univ. of Ga. And some guy by the name of Herschel Walker.
    If ever there was a testament to Georgia's national following, that was it.
    Anyway, with in between moves to Decatur and attendance at Ga Southern in '71, it was probably what is my final move in '96 to Suwanee that forever enamored me with Ga. And SEC football.
    Go Dawgs. Beat those straight jackets.

• Options
    milldawg007milldawg007 Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

A little background on my story.

I was born in Pittsburgh, PA where the only excitement we had for college football was for the NFL Draft (huge Steeler's fan). My family moved around the northeast but we ultimately ended up in Savannah, GA when I was in middle school. My best friend growing up, and to this day educated me on SEC Football and I was hooked. Unfortunately I was hooked on Tennessee as my best friend's dad was an Alumni and took us to a lot of games. I grew up hating Georgia.

Low and behold when it came time for college Tennessee wasn't an option due to out of state tuition so I went to GCSU in Milledgeville to figure out my career path. Communications was my desire, and UGA had a great department so I **** it up and went to school there...... Going to school at UGA gave me a connection to big time college football that I didn't have by being a fan that didn't attend the school. Once being on campus, and being apart of the UGA family, I quickly threw out the Tennessee gear for the Red and Black. I have been hooked ever since my admission letter. GO DAWGS!

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@milldawg007 , love the shout-out for GCSU and Milledgeville. My home town!

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@milldawg007 That is a GREAT story!!!

• Options
    milldawg007milldawg007 Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

Thanks @PTDawg and @christopherules. Can't believe I ever wore that filthy Orange....

• Options

@milldawg007 HAHAHA!!! I have SOOOOOO many things that "I can't believe I once did THAT???" in my own life!" I understand completely & have ZERO room to criticize anyone else sir! GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    ColaDawg86ColaDawg86 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@shhmitty said:

@ColaDawg86 said:

@shhmitty said:
    I honestly don't know how I became a dawg fan. Born and raised just outside of Columbia SC, all of my family are chicken fans and somewhere around 10 years old I started asking for UGA hats and shirts. I cant remember ever pulling for any other team except Georgia....maybe it was the site of UGA, or the silver britches....but one thing is certain. After 35 years of heckling from gamecocks I have always loved my Dawgs. I converted my wife and now we are raising 2 little Dawgs of our own who love Saturdays in Athens just as much as I do.

Do you still live in Columbia?

Just 10 minutes northeast in Lugoff.

Not far from me. I live by the VA off Garners Ferry.

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2018

@ColaDawg86 said:

My earliest memory that I can remember was Bobo as QB and also have vivid memories when Quincy Carter was under center.

Bobo was the QB at Thomasville High in 1993 when they played Thomas County Central for the AAA state title. I used to talk to him all the time....we went to the same barber in Thomasville. 'Course, I am several years older, but his dad was high school coaching royalty back in those days, and in a small town like T'ville, we all knew who the Bobos were.

• Options
    OroValleyDawgOroValleyDawg Posts: 245 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Born and raised in Atlanta but moved west many moons ago. My Dad was a Georgia Tech alum and I picked the Dawgs at a very young age just to piss him off

• Options
    LuvsDawgsLuvsDawgs Posts: 89 ✭✭✭ Junior

When I was growing up in Augusta, I never cared for college football. In 1983, I went with friends to the Ga. Clemson game, and the game ended in a **** tie. We sat in the Georgia section, and I loved the excitement and fun.
    In 1984, a friend of mine became the theater manager at the Georgia Square Mall, and he was approached by someone at UGA about letting the football team come in to the theater on the Friday nights before a home game...a way to keep all the players together and out of trouble. In exchange, he would get 10 tickets to each home games. He invited me, and I was like “Yeah, sure, I guess.”. 1984 was the season Kevin Butler kicked that monster field goal. THAT was when I got hooked! The place was absolutely NUTS! And, after Butler’s kick, Clemson had a chance to kick a FG for the tie...but their guy missed. Another nuts moment!!

Two years later, I started getting my own season tickets!
    GO DAWGS!

• Options

@PlayHurt beautiful story sir! GO DAWGS!!!

• Options

@OroValleyDawg said:
    Born and raised in Atlanta but moved west many moons ago. My Dad was a Georgia Tech alum and I picked the Dawgs at a very young age just to piss him off

@OroValleyDawg GOOD FOR YOU SIR!!! GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    dawgnation7dawgnation7 Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’ve had family go to Georgia, I was going to make a post but this one appeared. What if you weren’t a UGA fan, would the reason you became a Georgia fan be the same reason you became a fan of wherever. I live in Tn and have family from Alabama so I’m glad I was raised a Dawg.