Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

How did you become a Georgia fan?

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

I was raised in Cedartown Ga. We're Bulldogs, our colors are red and black, our field has been surrounded by hedges at least since the 1960s. At the time I was in HS our former HC Doc Ayers was Georgia's freshmen coach. It was a natural broadening of my world to adopt UGA well before I packed my bags for school in Athens.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You're not allowed to change your answer WC. I'm sticking with your first story.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

By the grace of God.

• Options
    TomGroseTomGrose Posts: 221 ✭✭✭ Junior

I went to Georgia and played in The Redcoat Band

• Options
    DCochranDCochran Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I graduated from Kennesaw State U, back when it was about the size of a highschool. My brother went to grad school at UGA. So I went up there to all the home games.

• Options
    destindawg1destindawg1 Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

My family moved to Athens in 1970 when my Dad 's job transferred him there. I went to school at Clarke Central and then UGA as did my brother and sister, we all wound up graduating from the University of Georgia. My Mom worked at the Business School and retired from UGA. Funny thing is we were Tech fans until that move to Athens, my Dad graduated from the North Ave trade school. He wound up with 3 Ga grads and a wife that worked there, he hated football season. We were National Champs when I was in school, class of '82. No feeling like it.

• Options
    deplorabledawgdeplorabledawg Posts: 361 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm a 3rd generation Dawg, my Dad took me to games back in the 1960's. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was born on Nov 28, 1967 on GEORGIA soil and have been in this GREAT state every since so I'm a naturalized DAWG fan by birth.

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Attended UGA during the Goff years also. Wasn't hard to get a student ticket at all back then . Don't know if that's true now or not

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mom and dad divorced when I was 4. As I got older and went to spend weekends with my dad , we would watch Ga games on Saturdays with friends. Play golf on Sunday mornings. I was about 11-12 then (1979-80). Grew on me from there. Remember Dooley would get a 1 pt lead then run up the middle 3 times then punt. Everybody would go nuts. Loved the dawgs but couldn't stop complaining.

Can also remember the year GA played Texas in a Bowl that was played on like the2nd or 3rd of January so school was back going. Skipped to watch the game with my dad and friends. Next day said I couldnt make school because I was sick as a dawg

• Options
    RDDawgRDDawg Posts: 235 ✭✭✭ Junior

I guess my earliest memories were Andy Johnson at QB and listening to Larry Munson on the radio. The Dawgs weren’t on tv a lot back then but listening to Larry was pretty close to being just as good.

• Options
    KirbyForPresidentKirbyForPresident Posts: 21 ✭✭✭ Junior

I grew up in Gwinnett County. Both my parents graduated from UGA and my dad has season tickets. I truly fell in love with the Dawgs in 9th grade. My dad and I went to almost every football game, home and away, from 2005-2008 when I was in high school. I was at the game when UGA won the SEC in 2005. I’ve watched us win in Baton Rouge, win in Tuscaloosa, and win in New Orleans when we whipped Hawaii in the Suagr Bowl. You name an SEC city and I’ve problably watched the dawgs play there. I got my masters degree from UGA in 2014 and continue to go almost all the football games both home and away.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Had no choice. Both parents went to UGA as well as my uncle. Thank God they did! GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was born and raised in Royston, Ga. which is just 35 miles from Athens. I never became a fan. It was just always there. Many many Saturdays with Larry Munson on the radio.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As long as I can remember, there was only one team to follow. Yes, GT was around but come on--Tech who? Anyhow, I remember distinctly fighting off my family members from changing the TV channel during Georgia's games. My earliest sure memory of watching was the 1971 Gator Bowl win. I've been through thick and thin with this team since...and Georgia will always be my passion.

• Options
    skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA freshman fall 1980....BSA 84..... nuff said

• Options
    DakotaDawgFanDakotaDawgFan Posts: 16 ✭✭ Sophomore

I was born and raised on a farm/ ranch in the south central part of the state, but currently live just outside of Sioux Falls.

• Options
    skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is a great thread that show the fan base to be wide ranging , interesting that only 10-20 % claim to be alumni, surprising .... but great as well ... we welcome all to DawgNation !