Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

How did you become a Georgia fan?

Comments

• Options
    Apaul404Apaul404 Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore

Born in Atlanta, raised by my grandfather in Decatur. He was a Seminole fan but I am a Georgia boy. Athens was my second duty station. We did CSC sideline duty to raise money for the MC Ball. I was lucky enough to be tasked with "guarding " the starcase behind LSU's endzone when the dawgs won the SEC championship in 2005, that took things to the next level.

• Options
    jgf1031jgf1031 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@brinkmanms said:
    Never watched college football during my 24 years in Navy. After retiring, I would sit in Chicago bars on Saturday afternoons with college football on all TVs in the early 2010s...so many teams to watch, hard to form an allegiance. At the time, worked with a guy from Atlanta who was a UGA fan. Targeted those games, which there were few actually on the networks in Chicago. Made a commitment in 2015 to learn the UGA players, and watch as many complete games as I could. Pretty much wound up only watching the Belk bowl start to finish. Richt got fired and started following UGA news. Friend hosted me in Atlanta for the 2016 Chik Filet Kick-off game against NC, and I was UGA committed! Memorized entire 2016 roster, found a UGA alumni bar in Chicago, and watched every 2016 game start to finish. Went to Notre Dame game in 2017, and the rest of the season was, .....well beyond my wildest imagination! Enjoyed every minute! GO DAWGS!

Better late than never! Welcome to the good guys, brother

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

@brinkmanms said:
    Never watched college football during my 24 years in Navy. After retiring, I would sit in Chicago bars on Saturday afternoons with college football on all TVs in the early 2010s...so many teams to watch, hard to form an allegiance. At the time, worked with a guy from Atlanta who was a UGA fan. Targeted those games, which there were few actually on the networks in Chicago. Made a commitment in 2015 to learn the UGA players, and watch as many complete games as I could. Pretty much wound up only watching the Belk bowl start to finish. Richt got fired and started following UGA news. Friend hosted me in Atlanta for the 2016 Chik Filet Kick-off game against NC, and I was UGA committed! Memorized entire 2016 roster, found a UGA alumni bar in Chicago, and watched every 2016 game start to finish. Went to Notre Dame game in 2017, and the rest of the season was, .....well beyond my wildest imagination! Enjoyed every minute! GO DAWGS!

Awesome story and that ND game was very special to all Dawg fans, even the "new" ones!!

• Options
    dawghouse23dawghouse23 Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

Sept. 13, 1997. My entire family went to USCjr and I grew up a Gamecock fan. Hope scholarship took me to UGA. I stole a USCjr flag at Morris Hall, probably a 15 foot tall flag, and took off running down Lumpkin. Became a Dawg immediately at that point. Glad the statute of limitations has run out. I've been holding on to that sin too long!

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jgwade99 said:
    As a teenager in 1978, I was watching the UGA vs. Tech on TV with my Mama. I was on the fence trying to figure out who I wanted to win. She said you just have to pick with and stich with them no matter what.

The Dawgs trailed Tech the whole game and finally took the lead on a Scott Woerner punt return in the 4th quarter. However, Tech returned the ensuing kickoff for a touchdown to retake the lead. In the end, Buck Belue lead the Dawgs on a touchdown drive and they converted a 2-point conversion for the win.

I've been a Dawg fan since.

That’s was a great game! I remember watching that same game too, EPIC comeback win for the DAWGS!!! I was a 15 year old, 10th grade “kid” at that time.

• Options
    TravisnunnallyTravisnunnally Posts: 87 ✭ Freshman

The day I was born in Athens Ga. I became a Georgia fan.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Here's a fun bump for the new people...

maybe even spurring some FUN conversations you guys!!!

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nice bump @Kasey.

My dad went to Ole Miss. Mom was from Louisiana. We lived in Tennessee when Herschel was doing his thing. So we were steeped in SEC football from the beginning.

Moved to Atlanta in 1983. Every time I'd go to a friend's house on a Saturday during the fall, the parents would have the Georgia game on. Frequently there'd be lots of adults hanging out, eating, drinking, having fun. And the men were dam.n serious about the game. I think that's when the first seed was planted.

A few years later I landed in Athens as a student. Stayed for eight years. It was tough during the Goff era but it makes me appreciate Kirby's program that much more. I'm the only Dawg in my family, but you won't find a more loyal or passionate fan.

• Options
    HumbleDawgHumbleDawg Posts: 27 ✭✭✭ Junior

My mom was born and raised in Bogart. My granddad later moved to Athens. I was really young and it was early 80’s so this is me kind of piecing it all together now. He and a couple of his buddies took turns working a parking lot on Baldwin street just past the trestle. Don’t know if they owned it, had rights to it, or just picked up extra coin doing it. He had 5 grandsons, and would take each of us to a game every year. So twice a year (I have a brother) we would drive down to Athens from northwest Georgia. Get to Baldwin street really early and either take money from people to park or hang out with his buddy while he took money. Then head to his seats for the game. I remember a fair amount about those days in the 80’s but not a lot about the football. The whole spectacle was mesmerizing for 5ish year old boy from a cross roads in the middle of no where. I still get chills every time I set foot in that stadium.

• Options
    HornedDawgsHornedDawgs Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The first UGA game I remember is when we beat LSU in the SEC championship game. Didn't know what I was watching but I've been a huge fan ever since

• Options
    sugarfallssummoresugarfallssummore Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

Beating Ramstein and Heidi ass in baseball and football was the next best thing to watching the dawgs on AFN. I still get the feels thinking about watching how many times Colt Brennan got sacked somewhere around 3 in the morning. Stuttgart represent.

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Been a Dawgs fan since 80

• Options
    pippin888pippin888 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

My dad played at Georgia in the forties I was born into Georgia fandom and if you went to a ball game on my dad's tickets you better not root for anybody else or you'd never get another ticket

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Came to Atlanta in 1988 as a transfer from an English company. I had taken the Monday off after the Super Bowl for the previous 5 years (5hr time difference) as a big fan of American Football. A guy that worked for me was a huge UGA fan and invited me and the family to attend a game and I fell in love with the atmosphere surrounding the game. For a few years we went to the first and last home game each season until my wife and daughter no longer wanted to go so the following season my son and I got season tickets for about 10 years including after transferring to Greensboro NC. This continued until UGA won the SEC in 2002 and the following season the guy that was getting the season tickets for us could no longer get 2 additional tickets per game as demand grew.

• Options
    GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

My brother and I were the first in our family to attend UGA but my dad, who attended undergrad and graduate school at Mercer, still embedded the love for all things Dawg for as far back as I can remember. I was only 4 when Georgia beat ND in the Sugar Bowl for the Natty but I grew up with that commemorative Coke bottle on my shelf and still have it to this day.

My earliest memories of all things Georgia football were of him telling us about going to the Georgia-florida game when Spurrier was getting faceplanted by Bill Stanfill and getting into a skirmish in the stands with a bunch of rowdy gator fans.

• Options
    BayAreaDawgBayAreaDawg Posts: 65 ✭✭✭ Junior

Grew up in Decatur Georgia and attended Georgia State for Undergrad. We didn’t get a football team till my Jr year. UGA football filled that void for me. I like Georgia State Football but it ain’t the same.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My Dad got his PhD at UGA, so he was a fan. Being 9 when HW was a freshman sealed the deal.