Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Red shirting Fields next year.

levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know, I know. It’s not in Kirby’s nature.

But with the new rule that red shirts can play in four games, and the increasing likelihood that Jake will go pro after year 3, doesn’t it make sense to red shirt Fields for a year?

That way we got a possible 3 years of Fields starting...

How likely is it that Fields goes pro as a high round draft pick after just two years of starting? How many quarterbacks have done that in the past? (Serious question I don’t know the answer to).

So maybe after year 2 of his starting, Justin is a mid round draft pick. But he decides to stay a third year to be a high round draft pick?

The reason you don’t red shirt Fields this year is you want him to be ready to play if Jake goes down.

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It wouldn't make sense in several ways.
    He will be needed.
    He won't be around 5 years if he pans out.
    He likely doesn't want to RS.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

Why would a very, very high 5 star, & the #2 overall QB, & the #1 Dual threat QB coming out of high school in Justin Fields want to go to a football program to redshirt?? It’s a nice dream to want to keep him around, but that’s simply not going to happen. Keeping both QB Jake Fromm & QB Justin Fields for ALL of their eligibility would be absolutely awesome, it’s just highly, highly unlikely for that’s going to take place for either one of these incredible QB’s. GO DAWGS!!!

• georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    It wouldn't make sense in several ways.
    He will be needed.
    He won't be around 5 years if he pans out.
    He likely doesn't want to RS.

@christopherules said:
    Why would a very, very high 5 star, & the #2 overall QB, & the #1 Dual threat QB coming out of high school in Justin Fields want to go to a football program to redshirt?? It’s a nice dream to want to keep him around, but that’s simply not going to happen. Keeping both QB Jake Fromm & QB Justin Fields for ALL of their eligibility would be absolutely awesome, it’s just highly, highly unlikely for that’s going to take place for either one of these incredible QB’s. GO DAWGS!!!

Fields said in his own words that he didn't mind coming to UGA and redshirting to learn the system. I don't think he will but for the 2 of you to say he doesn't want to goes directly against what the kid said.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

Fields will play in more than four games. When you have the talent, put it on the field. The time is now. If his football IQ is as high as reported, there’s little benefit in a RS. He’s likely to replace Fromm in 2019, but that’s another discussion for another day. Physically, he’s ready. We will also be recruiting a strong QB in 2020, so he will be the next in line after Fields. (It’s likely Sanders.) The days of RSs for RBs, WRs, and QBs are over.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

I'm going to guess we will have our definitive answer to this question by the time the Tennessee game rolls around

• ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not gonna happen!

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't see how you redshirt him. He's the only other quality QB on the roster, so he needs to be ready. In order to be ready he needs snaps. In an ideal world Fromm does great this season and next, and then goes pro early. Leaving Justin with 1 or 2 years to tear it up before he can then hear his name called by Goodell.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greshamdisco said:
    Fields will play in more than four games. When you have the talent, put it on the field. The time is now. If his football IQ is as high as reported, there’s little benefit in a RS. He’s likely to replace Fromm in 2019, but that’s another discussion for another day. Physically, he’s ready. We will also be recruiting a strong QB in 2020, so he will be the next in line after Fields. (It’s likely Sanders.) The days of RSs for RBs, WRs, and QBs are over.

He is not likely to replace Fromm next season.

• jay_kubzzjay_kubzz Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No. Regardless if Fields got redshirted which he 150% won’t unless it’s medically, he’d be gone after his RS sophomore year anyways.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Best scenario is we win the title this year or next year and Fromm declares early and then we get two full years of Justin

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,173 mod

Only redshirt he will see is game days at Sanford

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgnms said:

Isn't it possible he might like college, want to get a degree and "Stay, just a little bit longer" (Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs). ?

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,173 mod

@donm said:

@dawgnms said:

Isn't it possible he might like college, want to get a degree and "Stay, just a little bit longer" (Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs). ?

Would be nice but he is 3 and done

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@dawgnms said:

Some of the reports I read about Roquan, he wanted to stay. But he was a first round draft pick. If he stays another year, and gets hurt or doesn’t play quite as good, that’s like losing TEN MILLION DOLLARS.

If Justin is a mid round draft pick, I could see him staying another year. And that’s why I asked in the OP how common it is for college QB’s to go in the first round after starting only two years. I really don’t know.

There’s no way to know how good Fields is gonna be just off hype from how great he was in high school. But a lot of guys just got all that hype they’ve been reading in their mind and can’t accept an alternate scenario.

Most QB’s just do not have as good of a freshman year as Jake had. It’s terribly rare.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One year of great tape will get him drafted in the first round. Sometimes a “good” year with upside gets you drafted in first round. See Mitchell Trubisky in 17 draft. Went #2 overall after only starting 13 games.

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    One year of great tape will get him drafted in the first round. Sometimes a “good” year with upside gets you drafted in first round. See Mitchell Trubisky in 17 draft. Went #2 overall after only starting 13 games.

There’s always an anecdote. But how common is it?

I bet DJ Shockley would have gone earlier than the 7th round if he had started more than one year. He was a 5* recruit out of high school.

David Greene went in the third round. And no one thought he had the natural talent DJ had. But David was able to develop it on the field.

@levander said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Off top of head Cam Newton, Aaron Rodgers (2 years), Tannehill I believe was a starter for season and half. I’m sure a google search will help you out. If the talent is there, one year is all it takes.

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@levander said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Off top of head Cam Newton, Aaron Rodgers (2 years), Tannehill I believe was a starter for season and half. I’m sure a google search will help you out. If the talent is there, one year is all it takes.

Even throw Cardale Jones in there...didn’t he play half a season?