Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Colin Kapernick has become face of Nike’s new ad campaign

Comments

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PerroGrande said:
    umooner, maybe they believe in free speech?

Free speech doesn't apply to a forum dude. I'm not asking for people to be arrested or otherwise censored by the government here. I'm talking about a forum dedicated to Georgia football being kept in its place.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PerroGrande said:
    umooner, maybe they believe in free speech?

This is relevant to football, just as concussions and the economics of the sport are a part of the landscape.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Umooner, I really, really wish this discussion was irrelevant. Unfortunately, it isn’t.

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PerroGrande said:

@Thelordjohnson said:
    This is filled with a lot of wrong views and false narratives.

Ok, I agree with your first sentence! Yes, the false narrative is—if you don’t think kneeling at National Anthem events is a good idea you are a racist. Oh, and also because you are from Georgia and root for the Dawgs! Haha!! Interestingly, I happen to agree that the police need to work and train to enforce the law fairly and safely—for everybody. I fully understand why many black Americans believe it isn’t enforced equally and fairly by some officers. And, I support working to eliminate racial profiling and mistreatment by the police. I’m for the stated goals of the protest! I am also very much in favor of supporting good police to enforce our laws. I suspect >95% of us would agree with those statements. All I am saying is that disrespecting our flag, anthem, and all they stand for is one of the worst possible ways to try to fix that problem. I believe it is a horrible mistake that will come back to bite us all. Professional athletes have a big influence on children. What are you teaching the next generation? If you see a problem, reach for the biggest shock you can to make a statement, or are you teaching them that our country, anthem and flag aren’t worth much? I like the former less than the latter, and I don’t like the latter at all. Burning the house down to let your parents know that you think they are unfair is always a bad idea imho. It leads to anarchy because the attitude will spread. I’m not a fan of these political boycotts, but I think the Nike boycott is in order.

I take your comment and the only thing I will say is Kaepernick has said each time he isn't disrespecting the country or flag but he wants things to change. He apologized for sitting down and switched to kneeling because a kneel shows respect and prayer. As for the children learning theres a half truth... Some children will watch and question but what aboit children watching their parents get mad or curse him. It comes down to what you teach them and explain his methods. I told my daughter I dont agree with his tactics but I respect the risk he's taking to at least push the agenda.

I also disagree with the Nike boycott. They opted to go with the side of potential history. No one could've predicted during his prison sentence the things Muhammad Ali had in coming the future. Now he's considered an American hero.

• Options
    Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nike"s new logo?

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Thelordjohnson said:

I take your comment and the only thing I will say is Kaepernick has said each time he isn't disrespecting the country or flag but he wants things to change. He apologized for sitting down and switched to kneeling because a kneel shows respect and prayer.

From USA Today Online, August 27, 2016:

Hours after Pro Football Talk took note of San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick sitting during the national anthem before Friday’s preseason game against the Green Bay Packers, the QB spoke out and explained it was a protest.

Here’s what he told NFL.com’s Steve Wyche:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@JayDog said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

I take your comment and the only thing I will say is Kaepernick has said each time he isn't disrespecting the country or flag but he wants things to change. He apologized for sitting down and switched to kneeling because a kneel shows respect and prayer.

From USA Today Online, August 27, 2016:

Hours after Pro Football Talk took note of San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick sitting during the national anthem before Friday’s preseason game against the Green Bay Packers, the QB spoke out and explained it was a protest.

Here’s what he told NFL.com’s Steve Wyche:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

Not showing pride doesn't automatically equate disrespect

• Options
    edited September 2018

@PerroGrande said:
    Umooner, I really, really wish this discussion was irrelevant. Unfortunately, it isn’t.

Same here. I think this issue might have been better addressed off the field, but I try to keep by personal opinions separate from my core beliefs in fairness and freedom of expression.
    I would have preferred athletes form an organization in their own time to address social issues, but we are where we are and I don't believe in letting my own discomfort taint my values.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

Same here. I think this issue might have been better addressed off the field, but I try to keep by personal opinions separate from my core beliefs in fairness and freedom of expression.
    I would have preferred athletes form an organization in their own time to address social issues, but we are where we are and I don't believe in letting my own discomfort taint my values.

Agree with the off the field part, and it still could be done with the NFL’s billions at stake. They could contribute a lot to educate and train police officers and to do community outreach via a joint effort by players and police organizations. It could be very positive and effective.

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgsofWar said:

@AndersonDawg said:
    Won’t be buying any Nike products. Other than being an NFL QB his claim to fame was kneeling for the National Anthem. Certainly his right as is my my right to hold disdain for Nike for promoting him. My 71 years and Vietnam service have probably “clouded my vision”, but I can live with that.

Army veteran, here. If any one has served in the Armed Forces, you know why we did it. We 1%ers did it because we fight for our country's freedom. Freedom for what? Freedom of speech, religion, etc. To protect our country's freedom-seeking ideals. Kap kneeling had nothing to do with protesting against our nation's military. It never was. It was about protesting against the police and what was going on at that time.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-how-nate-boyer-got-colin-kaepernick-to-go-from-sitting-to-kneeling/

I have no care whatsoever about protesting this or protesting that. Protesting comes with freedom of speech and that's what I signed up for when I joined.

Thank you for your service sir!

• Options
    Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Taking a knee is one of the most peaceful protests you can make. He’s not hurting anyone. Why aren’t people who are buying a beer, or using the restroom scolded for not paying respect to the anthem. Folks just chatting or doing other things. I don’t understand the backlash for a peaceful protest trying to inspire positive change. His protest was about bringing awareness against police brutality and he accomplished that, we’re talking about it in a Dawg nation thread.

When it comes to Nike making Kap the face of their marketing promo who knows how sincere it is. Nike is one of the greatest marketing engines out there so whether they truly support Kap or knew this would bring huge publicity towards them is unknown to me. I love sneakers and will continue to purchase bikes because it’s a great shoe.

The poster who said you buy New Balances for comfort please look into some Adidas Boosts. Most comfortable shoe you’ll wear and won’t rock the Dad shoe.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawgy_Fresh said:
    Taking a knee is one of the most peaceful protests you can make. He’s not hurting anyone. Why aren’t people who are buying a beer, or using the restroom scolded for not paying respect to the anthem. Folks just chatting or doing other things. I don’t understand the backlash for a peaceful protest trying to inspire positive change. His protest was about bringing awareness against police brutality and he accomplished that, we’re talking about it in a Dawg nation thread.

When it comes to Nike making Kap the face of their marketing promo who knows how sincere it is. Nike is one of the greatest marketing engines out there so whether they truly support Kap or knew this would bring huge publicity towards them is unknown to me. I love sneakers and will continue to purchase bikes because it’s a great shoe.

The poster who said you buy New Balances for comfort please look into some Adidas Boosts. Most comfortable shoe you’ll wear and won’t rock the Dad shoe.

Thanks. I'll give them a look.

• Options

@scooterdawg said:

@Dawgy_Fresh said:

Thanks. I'll give them a look.

New Balance trail runners are my favorite every day sneakers.

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawgEatin said:

@dbrown7494 said:
    This ad has not gotten a positive review from many people in media and society. I doubt it will last very long. Especially since he isn’t on a team.

According to who old bigoted white males? The press I’ve seen has been great. The racist twitter trolls have been embarising.

Here you are with again being the the first to bring up race. It's what people do when they know their arguement is lost.

• Options

@BigDawgEatin said:
    Just so all you guys know, the majority of the Georgia Bulldogs are black, like real black people. They most likely agree with Kaepernick. Hell the team is sponsored by Nike. Many of the comments here are low key racist . How do you cheer for black boys on the field , but make comments directly opposing to what is best for their well being ? If you guys said these statements to any black player on our team, please believe they would not agree with you.

Again you bring up race. Sad!!! Was your statement about a majority of fans being black derived from a comprehensive poll that you took? I will be honest, I have never noticed one way or the other.

• Options

@BigDawgEatin said:

@PerroGrande said:
    We are all alarmed by many injustices. Does that give one the right to disrespect the flag, the anthem, and all they stand for? No! Kneeling for the National Anthem is an injustice.

Killings Black Men is direspectful. It’s an injustice to be killed by the people who you pay to protect you. Sad that a flag is more important than a life. Again your favorite black Georgia Bulldog player probably disagrees with you. As long as the black boys tow the line, they are acceptable?

Every other post is about race. I think that killing anyone (black, white, brown, whatever) is not only disrespectful, it's terrible.

• Options
    BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg said:

@BigDawgEatin said:
    Just so all you guys know, the majority of the Georgia Bulldogs are black, like real black people. They most likely agree with Kaepernick. Hell the team is sponsored by Nike. Many of the comments here are low key racist . How do you cheer for black boys on the field , but make comments directly opposing to what is best for their well being ? If you guys said these statements to any black player on our team, please believe they would not agree with you.

Again you bring up race. Sad!!! Was your statement about a majority of fans being black derived from a comprehensive poll that you took? I will be honest, I have never noticed one way or the other.

Play the race whistle and look who shows up. Look my non-racist friend. I said the majority of the players are BLACK and I’m sure the side with KAP. You must be foolish to think otherwise ! I have no respect for you, you know we go way back. Not sure why you of all people even speak to me.

• Options
    BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

@BamaDawg said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@PerroGrande said:
    We are all alarmed by many injustices. Does that give one the right to disrespect the flag, the anthem, and all they stand for? No! Kneeling for the National Anthem is an injustice.

Killings Black Men is direspectful. It’s an injustice to be killed by the people who you pay to protect you. Sad that a flag is more important than a life. Again your favorite black Georgia Bulldog player probably disagrees with you. As long as the black boys tow the line, they are acceptable?

Every other post is about race. I think that killing anyone (black, white, brown, whatever) is not only disrespectful, it's terrible.

No its murder plain and simple.