Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Colin Kapernick has become face of Nike’s new ad campaign

Comments

• Options
    BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is who started the idea of kneeling. I’m sure this military man is unpatriotic as well.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

We've had 2 convictions of cops in recent weeks., there seems to be some movement in that area.
    I thought the gay activist asked for too much back 12 to 14 years ago but pushing hard for the right to marry really seems to have worked. My point is, maybe this approach is actually having some positive affects.

• Options

I'm going to be frank.
    By far the biggest threat to young black men is other young black men. Statistically it's an overwhelming fact.
    Still, if I had to worry every time a cop was behind me just because of my color and where I lived, I'd get tired of it very quickly.
    I think there's work to be done from both within communities and outside those communities.
    The worst of it is, we've been discussing this since the 1960s.

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

@JayDog said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@JayDog said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

I take your comment and the only thing I will say is Kaepernick has said each time he isn't disrespecting the country or flag but he wants things to change. He apologized for sitting down and switched to kneeling because a kneel shows respect and prayer.

From USA Today Online, August 27, 2016:

Hours after Pro Football Talk took note of San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick sitting during the national anthem before Friday’s preseason game against the Green Bay Packers, the QB spoke out and explained it was a protest.

Here’s what he told NFL.com’s Steve Wyche:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

Like I've stated before... Im African American. I get his frustration. But he also apologized for the article I've seen you qoute before and rephrased his comments to make the message clear to all. I qouted the article above...
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/veteran-kaepernick-take-a-knee-anthem/

Whoa. I simply posted the quote attributed to Kap by USA Today. I don't know if you are saying I rephrased his comments or a Kap did. I gave no commentary. If you are saying Kap rephrased his comments after this quote--there is another name for that. It is called back pedaling. There was nothing unclear about what he said the first time. I posted it because people seem confused on how this started.

No its very clear Kap cleaned his comments. Im not forcing anything on you. Im saying he rephrased his comments. They didnt change he cleaned it up. He doesnt stand for what is going on in this country. Now he kneels instead of sitting. Back pedaling is to withdraw from a stance, position, or attitude... He continued his peaceful protest and stands on his beliefs.

• Options

@WCDawg said:
    I'm going to be frank.
    By far the biggest threat to young black men is other young black men. Statistically it's an overwhelming fact.
    Still, if I had to worry every time a cop was behind me just because of my color and where I lived, I'd get tired of it very quickly.
    I think there's work to be done from both within communities and outside those communities.
    The worst of it is, we've been discussing this since the 1960s.

Its very troubling... I don't dive into my past too often but I had to see a therapist about things that happened to me at a young age. She basically said I and my brother suffered PTSD just by living in the environment we lived in. Not blaming just cops cause everything was(is) considered a threatwhen you're African American. I mean that says a lot.
    As you said discussing this since the 60s to see slowly evolving change is crazy. So many parties (couldn't think of a better word) have seen some growth in their personal fights.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawgEatin said:

@DawgBiscuit said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@PerroGrande said:
    We are all alarmed by many injustices. Does that give one the right to disrespect the flag, the anthem, and all they stand for? No! Kneeling for the National Anthem is an injustice.

Killings Black Men is direspectful. It’s an injustice to be killed by the people who you pay to protect you. Sad that a flag is more important than a life. Again your favorite black Georgia Bulldog player probably disagrees with you. As long as the black boys tow the line, they are acceptable?

Come on Man! Please stop the race-baiting. There's only One Race... The Human Race :smile:

But one race has slaughtered a lot of other races! Notice the prestigious army shirt, thanks for your service sir ! If this picture doesn’t speak volumes you guys really don’t care or get it. Look at the little smirks. But I’m the racist, right ?

Not takings sides but (1) it is very risky to infer intent/emotion from a snapshot and (2) when I first looked at the pic I thought these two guys were trying to help the injured man.. just sayin’

• Options

@donm said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@DawgBiscuit said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@PerroGrande said:
    We are all alarmed by many injustices. Does that give one the right to disrespect the flag, the anthem, and all they stand for? No! Kneeling for the National Anthem is an injustice.

Killings Black Men is direspectful. It’s an injustice to be killed by the people who you pay to protect you. Sad that a flag is more important than a life. Again your favorite black Georgia Bulldog player probably disagrees with you. As long as the black boys tow the line, they are acceptable?

Come on Man! Please stop the race-baiting. There's only One Race... The Human Race :smile:

But one race has slaughtered a lot of other races! Notice the prestigious army shirt, thanks for your service sir ! If this picture doesn’t speak volumes you guys really don’t care or get it. Look at the little smirks. But I’m the racist, right ?

Not takings sides but (1) it is very risky to infer intent/emotion from a snapshot and (2) when I first looked at the pic I thought these two guys were trying to help the injured man.. just sayin’

We all know the history of racism in this country.
    It was sanctioned by our government for most of our time as a nation.
    There is still racism, but the sanctioned part ended in the 1960s, at least to date it's ended. We have to be careful though, those old forces have been emboldened by recent politics.
    I agree with you about the photo though, we don't know the story behind it.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@DawgBiscuit said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@PerroGrande said:

We all know the history of racism in this country.
    It was sanctioned by our government for most of our time as a nation.
    There is still racism, but the sanctioned part ended in the 1960s, at least to date it's ended. We have to be careful though, those old forces have been emboldened by recent politics.
    I agree with you about the photo though, we don't know the story behind it.

https://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/07/auto_industry_troubles_racial.html

The photo was taken June 21, 1943.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Thelordjohnson said:

@JayDog said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@JayDog said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

I take your comment and the only thing I will say is Kaepernick has said each time he isn't disrespecting the country or flag but he wants things to change. He apologized for sitting down and switched to kneeling because a kneel shows respect and prayer.

Hours after Pro Football Talk took note of San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick sitting during the national anthem before Friday’s preseason game against the Green Bay Packers, the QB spoke out and explained it was a protest.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

Like I've stated before... Im African American. I get his frustration. But he also apologized for the article I've seen you qoute before and rephrased his comments to make the message clear to all. I qouted the article above...

Whoa. I simply posted the quote attributed to Kap by USA Today. I don't know if you are saying I rephrased his comments or a Kap did. I gave no commentary. If you are saying Kap rephrased his comments after this quote--there is another name for that. It is called back pedaling. There was nothing unclear about what he said the first time. I posted it because people seem confused on how this started.

No its very clear Kap cleaned his comments. Im not forcing anything on you. Im saying he rephrased his comments. They didnt change he cleaned it up. He doesnt stand for what is going on in this country. Now he kneels instead of sitting. Back pedaling is to withdraw from a stance, position, or attitude... He continued his peaceful protest and stands on his beliefs.

Thanks for clarifying. I appreciate a civil response. In response--I support a person's right to say what he wants. But it is hard to "clean" offensive words after the fact. Not everyone is able to accept it especially when the physical protest continues and is actually the more offensive part of the behavior.

It seems defenders of this form of protest want to ignore the fact that the action (kneeling) is offensive and hurtful to a large segment of the population. They want to judge another's heart or motivation to dismiss their feelings. It is tantamount to a white person ignoring that certain racially charged rhetoric is offensive and hurtful to African Americans.

There are some things we may have the right to do--doesn't mean it is right to do them.

• Options

@JayDog said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@JayDog said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@JayDog said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Thanks for clarifying. I appreciate a civil response. In response--I support a person's right to say what he wants. But it is hard to "clean" offensive words after the fact. Not everyone is able to accept it especially when the physical protest continues and is actually the more offensive part of the behavior.

It seems defenders of this form of protest want to ignore the fact that the action (kneeling) is offensive and hurtful to a large segment of the population. They want to judge another's heart or motivation to dismiss their feelings. It is tantamount to a white person ignoring that certain racially charged rhetoric is offensive and hurtful to African Americans.

There are some things we may have the right to do--doesn't mean it is right to do them.

I get where you are coming from but kneeling isn't a offensive gesture. A knight kneels before a king as respect, a religious person gets on their knees to pray to show they're at the mercy of their God... I think this is the first time I've ever seen a kneel lead to something "offensive." I get that it may hurt a lot of people but a lot of things have been deflected in this whole issue. Black Lives Matter was pushed away to say All Lives Matter, Police Brutality (and situations like Trayvon) haven't seen guilty pleas, and man using his freedom to protest peacefully has become offensive. Now I'm not old enough to know but I would without a doubt say MLK or Ali for major backlash in their protest for change. For the most part most who dont agree with Kap I've felt a bit off a racial motivation (not all cause some have reasoning) but he from the military friends i have they dont complain knowing they've fought for him to do these things. Its a situation where its closer to home for two large communities and its a sensitive sibject with two audiences that dont want to feel the other person's perspective or hear the journey. Its a dangerous subject to really stand your ground on. If you aren't willing to listen to the opposing side you will be seen as racist, prejudice, or lacking empathy. That's what I feel personally. I get where you are coming from and I can see how the words can be offensive but maybe that is what was needed to open this lone of communication between the two stances in this whole issue.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Thelordjohnson said:

@JayDog said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@JayDog said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@JayDog said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

I get where you are coming from but kneeling isn't a offensive gesture....to listen to the opposing side you will be seen as racist, prejudice, or lacking empathy. That's what I feel personally. I get where you are coming from and I can see how the words can be offensive but maybe that is what was needed to open this lone of communication between the two stances in this whole issue.

I appreciate what you are saying too. The thing is--context matters. The word, "****" is not offensive either--until used in a particular context.

But again, respectfully, my point is part of the thing preventing people from coming together is one side telling the other kneeling during the anthem is not or should not be offensive. I can't tell you what is or should not be offensive to you. We can't know another person's heart or past.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, don't forget that Justin Fields is loved by 99.9% of Georgia Bulldog fans! Yes, there is, and will likely always be, that .1% of idiots out there.

• Options
    edited October 2018

@PerroGrande said:
    Well, don't forget that Justin Fields is loved by 99.9% of Georgia Bulldog fans! Yes, there is, and will likely always be, that .1% of idiots out there.

Easy dismissal ....slow clap. How did you come up with those percentages? Are they truly accurate? Or is this what you hope the fan base reflects?

• Options

@BigDawgEatin said:

Easy dismissal ....slow clap. How did you come up with those percentages? Are they truly accurate? Or is this what you hope the fan base reflects?

Do you have to be so hostile and sarcastic? It isn't a dismissal. They are investigating it. The story does sound odd, so let's see what they find out--"One young white male...surrounded by black students." 100% of the Dawg fans, and I know a bunch, love the kid and think he is going to be a great QB. Great athlete, smart, comes from a great family...Dawg fans are excited about him. That is just my experience, but I think it is typical.

• Options

@PerroGrande said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

Do you have to be so hostile and sarcastic? It isn't a dismissal. They are investigating it. The story does sound odd, so let's see what they find out--"One young white male...surrounded by black students." 100% of the Dawg fans, and I know a bunch, love the kid and think he is going to be a great QB. Great athlete, smart, comes from a great family...Dawg fans are excited about him. That is just my experience, but I think it is typical.

Not a typical young white male. He is actually one of the best baseball players on the UGA team. Yeah racism is always odd .

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawgEatin said:

@PerroGrande said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

Not a typical young white male. He is actually one of the best baseball players on the UGA team. Yeah racism is always odd .

So what does he say to his African-American teammates?

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is unfortunate and unacceptable and unfortunately, still a reality in society today.

• Options

“Who wants to bet he wouldnt say that to Justins face. Who also want to bet Justin is probably a better baseball player than he is as well. I dont care if my qb is purple, if that man is balling and can take the Dawgs to big time, then sir you need to sit your ass down and hush. If it upsets you that bad why are you not on the field yourself?“

• Options

Ok, just read Chip's story. While we are betting, who wants to bet that he is a soon to be--former UGA baseball player?