Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Atlanta United

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:
    What sport do they play?

Is it the one where they sweep in front of a big rock on ice ?

Nah, I think that's "hurling".

My Brother can hurl with the best of em on Friday nights, he's lost a step on Saturdays though, he ain't no spring chicken.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Red_N_Black said:
    Realistically, the rest of the world fell in love with soccer because that's all they had and all they knew. If they had been exposed to football, baseball and basketball first, like us, soccer more than likely wouldn't even still exist or at least it would be a minor sport sort of like it is here now. Although a lot of folks will outwardly disagree with me, I believe that deep down everybody has got to know what I'm saying is true.

Yeah, soccer, football, baseball and basketball are the only four sports in the world, so the rest of the world only had one sport to choose. Makes sense.

• Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I guess 22 million illegals can't be wrong. Ya' know soccer is becoming so popular nowadays maybe I'll go over to the old high school this week and take in a match. Better get there early though. There's bound to be a huge , standing room only crowd.

• EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The curse is over

• 101ina45101ina45 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Red_N_Black said:
    Realistically, the rest of the world fell in love with soccer because that's all they had and all they knew. If they had been exposed to football, baseball and basketball first, like us, soccer more than likely wouldn't even still exist or at least it would be a minor sport sort of like it is here now. Although a lot of folks will outwardly disagree with me, I believe that deep down everybody has got to know what I'm saying is true.

Honestly not true. I love Football but if it's still around in 100 years i'll be shocked.

Personally for me: Football=Soccer>Basketball>Baseball

Also, most of the world has their version of football. It's called Rugby.

• 101ina45101ina45 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@IrishGrudge said:
    Look, I like soccer way more than basketball & hockey. I follow the USMNT fervently—Have for 25 years. That being said, calling this “Atlanta’s [or state of Georgia’s] 1st Major Sports Championship since ‘95 Braves” is bullsh*t. And it makes us look desperate— A parade? Really?

Congrats to ATL UTD! But people need to stop equating this to a Braves World Series Title, Falcons Super Bowl win, Dawgs Natty, or even a **** Hawks (lol) Finals win. Just. Stop.

How is it not a major title? 70k people showing up for a minor league game? Please.

• mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@IrishGrudge said:
    Look, I like soccer way more than basketball & hockey. I follow the USMNT fervently—Have for 25 years. That being said, calling this “Atlanta’s [or state of Georgia’s] 1st Major Sports Championship since ‘95 Braves” is bullsh*t. And it makes us look desperate— A parade? Really?

Congrats to ATL UTD! But people need to stop equating this to a Braves World Series Title, Falcons Super Bowl win, Dawgs Natty, or even a **** Hawks (lol) Finals win. Just. Stop.

MLB (Major League Baseball)

MLS (Major League Soccer)

YES, this is Atlanta's first professional sports title since 1995. It's official whether people want to accept it or not, and the Atlanta United in their 2nd year of existence broke an attendance record for an MLS soccer game as well. MLS is just not part of the big 4 (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL) but it's still considered as professional sports period.

• finesse92finesse92 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭ Junior

@HereSoIWontGetFined said:
    Was at the game tonight. Amazing atmosphere. Felt chills similar to when I’m in Sanford. As a sports fan, I really hope soccer grows in the US.

I don’t understand the ****-talking in this thread. Are there aspects of soccer I would change? Of course. But I can say the same about football. I would definitely rather have UGA win a natty but I will celebrate this win while I can.

I just can't fathom how someone can enjoy a game where from what i've seen, it's pretty typical to only score a couple times a game. It's just boring and mostly uneventful from my perspective

• finesse92finesse92 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭ Junior

Was at the game tonight. Amazing atmosphere. Felt chills similar to when I’m in Sanford. As a sports fan, I really hope soccer grows in the US.

I don’t understand the ****-talking in this thread. Are there aspects of soccer I would change? Of course. But I can say the same about football. I would definitely rather have UGA win a natty but I will celebrate this win while I can.

Playing it though, is a whole other story

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

How is it not a major title? 70k people showing up for a minor league game? Please.

I'm sorry if this deflates anyone's "title high" but It's not a major title because ithe league is not even close to being on par with having the best players. MLB, the NFL, and the NBA all have the best players in the World. You can't even says it's the equivalent to winning the AAA minor league baseball championship.

People saying the game is boring should watch a United game. They are about constantly putting pressure on the other team. They play the most fast paced brand of soccer Ive ever witnessed.

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

I'm sorry if this deflates anyone's "title high" but It's not a major title because ithe league is not even close to being on par with having the best players. MLB, the NFL, and the NBA all have the best players in the World. You can't even says it's the equivalent to winning the AAA minor league baseball championship.

People saying the game is boring should watch a United game. They are about constantly putting pressure on the other team. They play the most fast paced brand of soccer Ive ever witnessed.

I watched the second half? It was boring as h3ll. But they did win. Congrats. My wife asked me why we were watching and I had no answer.

@Bankwalker said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

It's not a major (big 4) title but it's a professional sports title period. I mean, if anyone's being honest. College Football, NFL, and MLB are the most important sports teams for the state of Georgia. Dawgs, Falcons, and Braves.

The Hawks and United are still pro sports teams period, whether people care about them or not. The Dawgs are NOT a pro sports team, no matter how popular it might be in this state. Obviously a Dawgs title or a Falcons title would mean a lot more to us, but still.

MLS stands for "major league soccer". It's a sport that's growing. There was a time when the NBA was young and when NFL was young too You never know if MLS becomes on the level of that one day, and MLS has been growing every year.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mqg96 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

MLS stands for "major league soccer". It's a sport that's growing. There was a time when the NBA was young and when NFL was young too You never know if MLS becomes on the level of that one day, and MLS has been growing every year.

They can name the league whatever they choose, but that doesn't make it "major". On a talent level, this is equivalent to the Mississippi Braves winning their minor league system. True that one day the league might grow to one of the World's best, but we should wait to throw a parade until that happens. Your acknowledgement that the league isn't there yet is an acknowledgement that my statement is correct.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the games I've attended and watched on tv. I do enjoy the games but this whole "Curse is over", "Atlanta finally has another championship" talk is just bogus marketing propaganda. This isn't even listed as a
    "Top Headline" on ESPN, and you have to scroll down their front page to find the story just below a women's volleyball game on their front page. This is about as big as the 5th splash a well thrown rock makes when skipped across a lake.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Easily the second best fan energy experience in ATL, second only to the Dawgs.

edited December 2018

@Bankwalker said:

@mqg96 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

They can name the league whatever they choose, but that doesn't make it "major". On a talent level, this is equivalent to the Mississippi Braves winning their minor league system. True that one day the league might grow to one of the World's best, but we should wait to throw a parade until that happens. Your acknowledgement that the league isn't there yet is an acknowledgement that my statement is correct.

No it's not lol, and you're wrong. You're comparing a minor league to a major league. You must haven't been paying attention to 92.9 on radio or the huge fanbase MLS fans have nationwide and worldwide. The crowd in a MAJOR LEAGUE soccer game was electric. If you're talking about the BIG 4 professional sports then I'll agree with you but to say this isn't a major pro sports title is completely wrong.

Go on google and type in "major pro sports", in order it'll list the big 4 first "MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL" and guess what's next in line.... "MLS". Yep, that's right. MLS is the closest professional sports in popularity right now to joining those 4 so it can become the BIG 5.

See, I guarantee you when the DAWGS finally when a national title one day, fans outside of us will be making excuses for Georgia's first national title in decades. Just watch. People will be saying "well it took you this long" or "you got lucky" blah blah blah.

So I'm enjoying the moment for the Atlanta United right now. Across Georgia since last year we've been seeing Atlanta United stickers and banners everywhere whether it was on people's cars or hung up in front of their houses. Don't even try to compare MLS any "minor league" sport because it's not.

MLS is 2nd tier right now but the league is trying to expand to 28 teams by the early 2020's and not for long it might become 1st tier with the big 4 sports making it become the big 5. People still count the Celtics titles decades back when there were hardly any NBA teams, way less than there are MLS franchises right now.

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sorry, could not care less because whether this soccer teams wins or loses does not affect mood.