Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The Hawks probably made a mistake in not taking Luca Doncic...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He's starting to show he can be truly special. He's dropping the baby fat which is making him far quicker, he has everything else you'd ask for in a modern 2/3/4 hybrid. Last night he showed it all.
Not only might The Hawks be sorry in not taking him, I think if the draft were held today he'd be everybody's pick at #1.

Comments

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not if it means they get Zion Williamson as a result of **** for another year.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

@Bankwalker said:
    Not if it means they get Zion Williamson as a result of **** for another year.

If we get Williamson or Barrett it will be with The Hawks pick, it's clear the Mavs pick won't be that high, and likely not a lottery pick, mostly because of Doncic. Personally I like Barrett a bit more than Williamson at this point, but it's a very fluid situation.
    On the other hand if we had Doncic now, we probably wouldn't be bad enough to land the top pick, so you still have a good point.

• JackLatttyJackLattty Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’d take doncic a non top 5 pick in the next draft over trae young and Williamson.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

🤔 I wonder who said that way back when during draft time...someone on this board...anyone know?

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    🤔 I wonder who said that way back when during draft time...someone on this board...anyone know?

You were right @Kasey. Us Dawg fans in Dallas are very happy with Doncic. So far as many 30 pt games as the rest of the rookies combined.

@texdawg said:

@Kasey said:

You were right @Kasey. Us Dawg fans in Dallas are very happy with Doncic. So far as many 30 pt games as the rest of the rookies combined.

Cuban knows how to pick them sometimes

edited December 2018

@JackLattty said:
    I’d take doncic a non top 5 pick in the next draft over trae young and Williamson.

At this point I would too, Doncic isn't quite the passer or ball handler Young is, but he is better in every other way.
    As for comparing him to Williamson or Barrett, it's a high level known vs good potential, but untested at the NBA level, so really there is no comparison.
    Right now I would take Doncic over any player in either the 2018 or 2019 draft.

@Kasey said:

@texdawg said:

@Kasey said:

Cuban is a novice at best, their HC worked with Doncic in Europe, he made the call.

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@texdawg said:

@Kasey said:

Cuban is a novice at best, their HC worked with Doncic in Europe, he made the call.

Rick Carlisle worked with him in Europe?

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@texdawg said:

@Kasey said:

Cuban has also owned the Mavs for 20 years. Man knows a little basketball

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@texdawg said:

@Kasey said:

Rick Carlisle worked with him in Europe?

My bad,I'm thinking of Phoenix's HC, he was just hired away from Doncic's European team and Doncic was thought to be on their radar going into the draft.

edited December 2018

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@texdawg said:

@Kasey said:

Cuban has also owned the Mavs for 20 years. Man knows a little basketball

I don't know how much he really knows, clearly he's a business man, but that doesn't make him a team builder.
    Kirk was in his 3rd season in Dallas when Cuban bought the team. Carlisle brought in most of the role players who helped win the 2011 title.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wanted to tell schlenk to go f himself after that trade. I knew it was **** decision and he was so d a m n predictable with trying to copy the warriors.

@YaleDawg said:
    I wanted to tell schlenk to go f himself after that trade. I knew it was **** decision and he was so d a m n predictable with trying to copy the warriors.

Young has excellent qualities, he just needs to get stronger and stop taking bad shots.
    Doncic clearly has the basketball IQ to be an all star for many years though, you can't teach that.

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

Young has excellent qualities, he just needs to get stronger and stop taking bad shots.
    Doncic clearly has the basketball IQ to be an all star for many years though, you can't teach that.

When you have the third pick you always take the best available player. Doncic was clearly the best player and its showing now. Young can be good but he will not reach doncic's level. His play style epitomizes modern basketball

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for the NBA thread and this is off topic but for those that think Michael Jordan is the G.O.A.T This is why that CANNOT b true. I could put a 5 man lineup with PG Lebron James 6'9 265 lbs SG Kevin Durant 7'0 C Joel Embid 7'2 275lbs PF Anthony Davis 6'11 255 lbs SF Giannis 6'11 and now up to 245lbs and if Jordan was an opposing player going up against that lineup he would b unplayable cause he's just too little. Who would he b equipped to guard. Go ahead tell me.
    Who Would he b able to Guard Lebron? H-NO. Durant HELL NO! Embid? 😂😂😂 Anthony Davis? Nope. The Greek Freak? No because he's just to little and cant jump high enough to compete or match up with ANYONE of the 5. So how could the so called G.O.A.T. get played off the floor if he was TRULY the G.O.A.T. The answer is hes not the G.O.A.T. Tell me Im wrong.

@MeR3htid said:
    Thanks for the NBA thread and this is off topic but for those that think Michael Jordan is the G.O.A.T This is why that CANNOT b true. I could put a 5 man lineup with PG Lebron James 6'9 265 lbs SG Kevin Durant 7'0 C Joel Embid 7'2 275lbs PF Anthony Davis 6'11 255 lbs SF Giannis 6'11 and now up to 245lbs and if Jordan was an opposing player going up against that lineup he would b unplayable cause he's just too little. Who would he b equipped to guard. Go ahead tell me.
    Who Would he b able to Guard Lebron? H-NO. Durant HELL NO! Embid? 😂😂😂 Anthony Davis? Nope. The Greek Freak? No because he's just to little and cant jump high enough to compete or match up with ANYONE of the 5. So how could the so called G.O.A.T. get played off the floor if he was TRULY the G.O.A.T. The answer is hes not the G.O.A.T. Tell me Im wrong.

Well that type of team would never be put together. I agree that lebron is the GOAT but this argument is kinda weird. Like yeah Jordan would struggle against a team of generational stars

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Point is regardless of generations he can b rendered unplayable. Bird could matchup with Durant IMO. Not necessarily outplay him every time but it would b a pretty even matchup. Scottie Pippen could stay on the floor as well. Hes big enough, athletic enough, and a versatile enough defender to hang. Magic Johnson is plenty big enough, smart enough and versatile enough to hang. Dirk could hang. No explanation necessary. But why wouldn't Jordan b able to get on the court much less stay out there? Because hes not big enough to play with the REALLY BIG BOYS. Michael Jordan the goat. 😂😂😂😂😂😂 Yeah sure.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

@rednavel said:
    I was screaming at my TV on draft day when they announced we would trade down to 5. Trae Young was picked for the ticket sales. A team interested in winning would not pick an undersized, defense-allergic, all-offense guard who gets routinely abused by bigger players. Ultimately I don’t think we got enough in that trade to bridge the ability gap between Young and Doncic.

Depends on whom we get, doesn’t it ? Hawks need lots of pieces still, so a couple of high picks will help a lot and make Young a more effective player. It’s at least a 3 year project.