Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Apple has lost 35% of it's market value since Oct 2nd....

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:
    How bout we don’t sell ourselves out to the Chinese? They are playing the economic warfare long-game.

I’ll take a recession to get rid of the hold they have on production and our economy.

No pain no gain.

That boat has sailed.
    One thing I do agree with Trump on is protecting our intellectual property. I'd be glad to throw some CEOs in prison for sending information developed in America to China. Trump is FOS with his coal wars and pretending we can revert back to a 1960s economy though. If we really cut the cord with China it wouldn't be a recession, it would be a monumental collapse across the developed world. We are dependent on each other. The fact is we are also losing market dominance, the world won't depend as heavily on selling their goods here as the east continues to expand their markets. That will leave us with 2 aces, our way of life and intellectual property. If we can't dominate in tech development and retention, we'll be second rate in 20 years.

We need to dominate alternative energy production development

Absolutely we do, and we need to treat all emerging technologies that might be important going forward like Manhattan Projects. Put money into those things that hold the keys to future growth and dominance.

Who should? The Federal Government?

Of course.
    Don't be an Ayn Rand parroting idiot your whole life. federal investments in the 50s through the 70s laid the foundation for the tech market that brought us back from under the thumb of The Japanese electronics and auto industries that dominated the world from the late 70s into the 90s. The Chinese dam sure use government money and resources to fuel it's tech economy. If you think there is a world free market, you're clueless.

You are incapable of having a discussion without insulting people. You should seek help.

Signs and symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder and the severity of symptoms vary. People with the disorder can:

Have an exaggerated sense of self-importance
    Have a sense of entitlement and require constant, excessive admiration
    Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
    Exaggerate achievements and talents
    Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
    Believe they are superior and can only associate with equally special people
    Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior
    Expect special favors and unquestioning compliance with their expectations
    Take advantage of others to get what they want
    Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
    Be envious of others and believe others envy them
    Behave in an arrogant or haughty manner, coming across as conceited, boastful and pretentious
    Insist on having the best of everything — for instance, the best car or office
    At the same time, people with narcissistic personality disorder have trouble handling anything they perceive as criticism, and they can:

Become impatient or angry when they don't receive special treatment
    Have significant interpersonal problems and easily feel slighted
    React with rage or contempt and try to belittle the other person to make themselves appear superior
    Have difficulty regulating emotions and behavior
    Experience major problems dealing with stress and adapting to change
    Feel depressed and moody because they fall short of perfection
    Have secret feelings of insecurity, shame, vulnerability and humiliation

Blow harder.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chuck Schumer does lick nuts. True story.

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@a_rattler said:

@WCDawg said:
    Hold on folks, this is getting serious. I'm too old for a slow climb back.

Everyone knew that iPhone sales would slow down as they went from being cultural phenomenons to regular products. Apple staved this off first by introducing larger screens then by boosting Chinese sales to compensate for falling US sales but they finally ran out of tricks. Their attempts to turn India into another China for them failed for regulatory reasons as India's government did not want too much competition for their own domestic smartphone industry, and there are no other big markets for them to expand to.

The iPhone had a great run ... the longest in history for a product that expensive at that volume and scale. But it is finally over. Apple knew this was coming in advance and it is the reason why they have been pivoting to being a services company for some time. Even though they can make as money that way as before that doesn't excite the stockbrokers as much as selling 100 million iPhones a quarter used to.

Agree 100% with you on Apple, particularly the transition to a services company. And, they should. See Amazon which makes most of its profit on its cloud services and advertising while its retail business profitability mirrors the retail sector at large.

Consumers are balking at the $1,000+ price point of the new phones. Apple needs to reset its strategy at some point with hardware price points across the entire portfolio. That said, margins are sky high for hardware so I don't believe we will see this any time soon.

Consumers may also be waiting for 5G to be rolled out as well although I believe this is less a factor than the price of the phones. There's always some lag with network upgrades (2G -> 3G, 3G -> 4G) translating to increased speeds that makes this less of a factor.

• a_rattlera_rattler Posts: 337 ✭✭✭ Junior

@DamnYankeeDawg said:

@a_rattler said:

@WCDawg said:
    Hold on folks, this is getting serious. I'm too old for a slow climb back.

Everyone knew that iPhone sales would slow down as they went from being cultural phenomenons to regular products. Apple staved this off first by introducing larger screens then by boosting Chinese sales to compensate for falling US sales but they finally ran out of tricks. Their attempts to turn India into another China for them failed for regulatory reasons as India's government did not want too much competition for their own domestic smartphone industry, and there are no other big markets for them to expand to.

The iPhone had a great run ... the longest in history for a product that expensive at that volume and scale. But it is finally over. Apple knew this was coming in advance and it is the reason why they have been pivoting to being a services company for some time. Even though they can make as money that way as before that doesn't excite the stockbrokers as much as selling 100 million iPhones a quarter used to.

Agree 100% with you on Apple, particularly the transition to a services company. And, they should. See Amazon which makes most of its profit on its cloud services and advertising while its retail business profitability mirrors the retail sector at large.

Consumers are balking at the $1,000+ price point of the new phones. Apple needs to reset its strategy at some point with hardware price points across the entire portfolio. That said, margins are sky high for hardware so I don't believe we will see this any time soon.

Consumers may also be waiting for 5G to be rolled out as well although I believe this is less a factor than the price of the phones. There's always some lag with network upgrades (2G -> 3G, 3G -> 4G) translating to increased speeds that makes this less of a factor.

Yes people are waiting on 5G. I will not get a new Samsung until all the hardware and software and carrier bugs are worked out so that will probably mean the Note 11 in fall 2020. I am also hoping that at least one carrier is smart enough to lease 5G routers that we can use to replace home broadband Internet. But they will have to alter their business model by dropping data caps to do that.

But domestic iPhone sales have been dropping for years now because people have stopped treating them like trendy fashion accessories. Back when having a new iPhone made you cool - so much so that celebrities made sure to be photographed carrying and using them - some people were actually getting one every 6 to 9 months. Carriers had to stop subsidizing smartphones due to losing so much money because of this, which was one of the reasons for the sales decline. They tried to compensate with what were basically iPhone rental programs that would allow you to pay a monthly rate and trade in an old one for a new one as often as once per year but it wasn't the same. When Wall Street finally realized those days were never coming back, that was when the Apple stock price took a dive.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@CFPTitle_Dawg said:
    Time to buy more? I have taken the hit since buying earlier this year but could go for more.

I wouldn't touch a stock till there is some indication the bottom is close.
    Alan Greenspan of all people thinks we're in for a really deep downturn.

Another deep recession would be good for my wife’s bar business. The coming recession has been predicted by some economists since before the the last presidential election and is actually about a year late.

In other words, it's not Trump's fault ?
    Greenspan and many others think Trump's trade policies are starting to show up in markets.

How did I know it would get to this? You where just waiting for someone to fall into your trap. Don't worry, those welfare checks will continue to come.

edited December 2018

@Bankwalker said:
    Chuck Schumer does lick nuts. True story.

Clearly you're a willing partner.

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@CFPTitle_Dawg said:
    Time to buy more? I have taken the hit since buying earlier this year but could go for more.

Another deep recession would be good for my wife’s bar business. The coming recession has been predicted by some economists since before the the last presidential election and is actually about a year late.

Greenspan and many others think Trump's trade policies are starting to show up in markets.

How did I know it would get to this? You where just waiting for someone to fall into your trap. Don't worry, those welfare checks will continue to come.

You're trash. It's amazing you can't see it.

edited December 2018

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@CFPTitle_Dawg said:

Name calling and trying to degrade someone. Typical comeback from your kind. You started this **** thread looking for a fight. Its what's you do.

I've got to get back to the beach. Merry Christmas.

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@CFPTitle_Dawg said:

Name calling and trying to degrade someone. Typical comeback from your kind. You started this **** thread looking for a fight. Its what's you do.

You're trash, like circa 1960 old south trash.

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@CFPTitle_Dawg said:

Just one da man day please.

@Dawg1419 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@CFPTitle_Dawg said:

Whatever language that is I'm not familiar with it.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@CFPTitle_Dawg said:

Whatever language that is I'm not familiar with it.

I'm pretty sure it's not Pottawatomi.

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@CFPTitle_Dawg said:

I'll take your word for it welfare. If anyone would know old trash, I would assume it to be you. I mean you see it every morning in the mirror. LMAO

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@CFPTitle_Dawg said:

I'll take your word for it welfare. If anyone would know old trash, I would assume it to be you. I mean you see it every morning in the mirror. LMAO

Alabama is too good for you.

Merry Christmas rednecks.

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@CFPTitle_Dawg said:

I'm actually at St. Simon's until after the holidays. But I get your sad attempt to bother me with the Alabama comment.

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@CFPTitle_Dawg said:

I'm actually at St. Simon's until after the holidays. But I get your sad attempt to bother me with the Alabama comment.

Trash away trash.

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@CFPTitle_Dawg said:

Trash away trash.

Just sad.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod
    edited December 2018

Tangibile vs. Intangibile.

I invest in what is actually there. ie real estate rather than what's on paper ie. stocks. Both may be volatile at times, but I can always plant seeds in dirt. Not so much on paper......