Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

anyone here like bourbon?

tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Look what I was able to get my hands on, all within the last week. Yes, I went a little hard on the Henry McKenna.

Comments

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure of the other 3 but that 10 year rip van winkle can be hard to find.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Old Forrester

as a Marketing professor at Georgia Southern once said “ it don’t leave you with a bad head”

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

it is certainly the hardest of the four to find, but the other three generally are not readily available either. and when they are a ridiculous markup is often associated

the WL Weller and Van Winkle line up is like a family. Pappy Van Winkle, the man, started selling bourbon for WL Weller, the man. Pappy eventually created his own line to sell. They are all wheaters and currently owned by the same company, distilled and aged in the same place, and use a very similar mashbill. They are often called cousins of the Van Winkle line, or Pappy jr bourbons. That is not really fair to the WL Weller line, considering how good it is. But also not far from the truth.

The Henry McKenna 10 year BiB is fantastic. For a long time it was almost an insider secret, especially at the $25 price point (back when almost everything at that price had an age statement). Well the secret is out and it is not only hard to come by but many stores are marking it up to $40+ a bottle. Still, it is a great bourbon even at that price.

If you are interested in other values then also look into Old Granddad 114.

I also have a bottle of the incredible Elijah Craig barrel proof B518. I am looking for a bottle of the C batch. If you can find for $70 or less, buy it.

I have been wanting to grab a bottle of the 1920 and the 1910 but something else keeps coming up. Since it is always available I don't rush to buy it

and ANYTHING will leave you with a bad head if you drink enough, none of it is magic haha

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've taken to drinking a shot of 50/50 Evan Williams Black label and cranberry juice at bed time. 100% pure Cranberry juice is very under appreciated as a mixer.

little night cap. I prefer a digestif like grappa or drambuie for my night cap

I don't like cranberry with bourbon but I do like it with many Canadian whiskies

I am on the lookout for the WL Weller 12. Hard to find around here

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My perents were bourbon drinkers. Nothing fancy: Ten High, Early times. They could have afforded a fine sippin' Whiskey, but chose the basics.

I'm a **** drinker myself. Shots of Tito's with a beer chaser.

3 of the 4 I posted have a MSRP of $25 or so, the fourth is not much above that

some stores charge more because they can, and prices on the black market are insane. everything but the Henry McKenna gos for over $100 there and the Van Winkle goes for almost $600. A fool and his money, as they say

but your parents could have bought pretty much everything I posted for the same price in their day for what I have posted. lower price does not mean lower value/basic. but there is a lot of garbage at the lower price.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Lol!! They block V odka....geeez... I'm a Tito's drinker myself. And I really do know my V odkas........

I don't drink much vo.dka, though love a great bloody caesar. Tito's is my go-to. I don't know enough about **** to have an informed opinion but it seems like a good value at that price point.

I drink rye and the pappy’s is hard to find at a reasonable price. Ive been looking for a bottle of wild turkey 101 rye but that stuff is rare as hen’s terth. Ive actually never seen a bottle. I just bought a bottle of wild turkey unforgiven, which is a blend at about 90 proof. Havent cracked it yet.

you mean wild turkey forgiven? I have not seen one called unforgiven. though, it is impossible to keep up with every release

I have not had the 101 rye either, but I have never looked for it. I love a good rye. While it is up there in price the whistelpig is almost perfect. I stumbled across a bottle of the Colonel EH Taylor rye last year and enjoyed it too. There are a lot of ryes I want to try but have not got around to yet. Pikesville, willet, old overholt, rittenhouse, etc

The sazarec is good to and used to be easier to come across.

I hope **** or tequila or something else becomes popular soon. It'll make finding the whiskies I like easier and cheaper

Rittenhouse is the best buy on the market.

• AvgJoeAvgJoe Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I prefer the OWA to the 12 year because of the higher proof.

A glass of Old Overholt with jerk pork burritos.

• BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m a Woodford guy. But the Weller is not bad at all for the money. I’ve searched high and low for a Van Winkle. Had my name on waiting list. I was third on list. He was only able to purchase 2 . Small batches make it very limited, Great find for you @tfk_fanboy ! Enjoy!!

Where can you get Van Winkle for $600? The place near me in Morningside gets $1000, $1200, and $1500 for the 3 grades.

Titos is the “cash cow” of the **** market. We run thru about 40 bottles a weekend with it being on call. Ponds 299 is our well and everybody calls Titos at the higher price. Its ALL MARKETING.