Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Do you carry a pocket knife?

BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited February 2019 in Off Topic

Not sure how much interest this will generate. I was eyeing a Case Trapper pocket knive at Bass Pro recently, and while giving thought to returning for one I remembered that my dad used to carry the same knife and figured it was probably buried in a box somewhere. Found it this morning. God is good! It’s the one on the bottom right. Is that bone or stag?

The top right green case is my “dress knife”. A customized piece I picked up at the blade show 5 years ago. It travels in a pair of slacks or a suit. The bottom left is a Spydeco I bought 20 years ago. I thought it lost for about 3 years until I found it slid down in the battery compartment of my 1985 K5 Blazer from the last time I had replaced the batteries (civillian diesel model, all power with A/C). It has been my regular carry again but the newly rediscovered trapper will start stealing away a good share of it’s “carries”.

The top yellow is another of my dad’s and the smaller xx is one of my grandfather’s. I sometimes slip one in my jeans pocket when Im feeling nostalgic.

Show us your carry knives

Comments

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

man, what a collection. Nice. I have only the knives in my kitchen drawer lol

• DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Good collection, but I need one with a cork screw and bottle opener.😆

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've carried one of the larger Swiss Army knives for 30 years , first present my wife ever got me when we starting dating , I'm on the 3 one (same model) as one is at the bottom of the Hootch , another in the jungles of Costa Rica. Use it for something every day . And yes I have the cork screw and bottle opener on mine.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure why my pictures got messed up. Uploaded the wrong one and couldn’t delete

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

I’ve been toting a pocket knife since third grade. Have always kept it in the watch pocket of my Levi’s. If I don’t have my pocket knife on me, I feel naked. The one I have now is a Case like the one on the top right but in bone.

• skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks bankwalker ! Yes my dad always carried a pocket knife - case brand and I did too starting about 3rd grade like someone else did. And my dad gave me a small ****? case as a “ suit knife when I married ..... somewhere I gave up , always have chap stick in one pocket and both would be too much , enjoyed this thread

• skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Btw bankwalker - non of those knife blades look used in anyway..... mine and my dads always were worn down from sharping on the stone

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I carry a black Swiss army pocket knife. My last one got took by a security guard at a concert. Nothing fancy, but gets the job done. I find myself using the toothpick the most

• loxahatcheedawgloxahatcheedawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2019

Collecting pocket knives has been a hobby of mine for a couple of decades. My tastes changed from traditional Case XX to production tactical knives, to custom tactical knives, and then back to traditional slip joints. The last few years my collection has shrunk to a few customs from my favorite maker. Yes I do carry and use one of these knives daily. Thank you Bankwalker for posting the thread.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I carry a pocket Machete.

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I carry a cheap Kershaw Cryo II

• bvilledawgbvilledawg Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

Only use "Buck" knives. Great American company and I love their "mission statement. It's worth a google.

• BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

As to the OP's question re: "Is that bone or stag?" It is hard to tell from the picture. If it is grooved then I would guess stag but if it is smooth then it looks like it might be horn that has been torched. You might try sending the picture to Case and asking them.

Nice collection.

• loxahatcheedawgloxahatcheedawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Bankwalker you can determine handle material by the tang stamp (code on the handle end of the blade). If the first character is a 6 it is bone. If it’s a 5, it is stag. It looks like jigged bone to me.