Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Hawks might have won the trade

dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Starting to come around on Trae Young, there are only a handful of guys in the league who look like it takes no effort to score, curry,Durant, and harden, he's not close to in there league but when he gets going it's effortless. Amazing how much more efficient he has gotten, I was begging him to shoot last night which I didn't know I'd ever do. Pundits thought he'd wear down in an NBA season, looks to me like he's bigger and stronger than ever.

Comments

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If they get the value out of the other pick, they definitely can be major winners in the trade.

• ihateusernamesihateusernames Posts: 402 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Triga Trae, Trae-T-L, Ice Trae, has been the best rookie in the NBA since Christmas, and if he finishes the last 25 games of the season this hot he should win rookie of the year over Donici.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Young's ability to drive to the basket was very underrated coming out of college. He is already among the best PGs in The NBA at getting to the basket and finishing. If they get good value from the Dallas pick this summer, they'll have made a good deal.

• dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep and his passing is already better than Curry's IMO, curry was and is to a lesser degree a turnover machine in his early days.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If they build around him like GS and Steph, Hawks won the trade. Need a two way wing, a utility big man, and another pure scorer.

Doncic will be the ROTY, and he deserves it.

It's closer than it was a month ago though.

Here is a comparison over the last 10 games and the season to date.

Doncic

Last 10 games averages - Pts 24.1, assist 7.4 rebounds 9.3

Season to date averages - pts 20.9, assist 5.7 rebounds 7.2

Young

Last 10 games averages - Pts 21.6, assist 9.2 rebounds 4.0

Season to date averages - Pts 17.5, assists 7.7, rebounds 3.3

Both are playing at all star levels, but Doncic is slightly better. Also, don't let Trae's shooting last night fool you, he is still chucking too many bricks. He is actually shooting slightly worse over the past 10 games than his season average. In fact games like last night will probably just encourage him to keep chucking from the moon and slow his development. He HAS TO become a better percentage shooter to get to be a championship level PG.

Sure but if you look at the month by month in general Trae is trending up, shooting 42 percent from three this month. Also nobody is talking about him and he will be a bonafide star in two more years, all I hear about is doncic and de-aaron Fox who's in his second year and Trae's stats are actually better than his, albeit SLIGHTLY less efficient. Time to board this Trae train.

I'm happy with Trae. He may end up being as good or better than Doncic, but he has to be more consistent in his shooting.

While Young did get better percentage wise for awhile, he's reverted back to bad habits over the past 10 games where he's shooting .406 overall. He hit a good rhythm last night, but if he keeps throwing up 30ft shots, he will not hit an acceptable percentage overall.

He will take better ones and make more of those as he gets older, if he can't take and make those his value decreases due to his size and what that opens up for drives and his teammates, he was getting double teamed 35 ft out last night. I feel he might put the Hawks on the map similar to what Vick did for the falcons, minus the felonies of course.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't see Trae as needing to be as good as Doncic to win the trade. He just needs to be at least in the discussion as an All Star and we need the pick to pan out. The core of this team could be really strong year after next.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

It might not make one lick of sense, but I think Young is simply better from a bit deeper than the normal 3 point line. I'm not pulling the exact numbers although off of my memory, the statistics do back up the eyes, but he shoots a low line drive and for a while his shot was a bit slow, and while I burned most of the early part of the early parts of the season from my head, I remember him bricking all of the 3 point shots that were closer to the line. One of the adjustments he's made has seemingly been to choose to usually take 25-27 foot shots (to back this up even on a set play for 3 he was at least 4-5 feet beyond the 3 point line). Last night he was shooting much quicker than he was before to add to it.

He hasn't been as efficient as late, but his 3 point shot even if you toss last night has been fine in the last 10 games before last night. He's having more trouble finishing, which is fixable with growth. It's weird, he's either had his floater going or his shot going, normally not both.

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • sauceddawgsauceddawg Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

No brakes on the Trigga Train! Very impressed by him in all honesty tho JC looks even better. Weve won way to many games now though no shot at Zion. We should have committed harder to the tank

• ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trae is showing a lot of improvement offensively. I think he is going to be a good player but he does have a ways to go. He has a quick release on his shot which he needs because his launch point is low. His range is outstanding. His judgement when to take the 3 is better but still needs improvement. He seems to be holding up well under the strain of the season, which is a good sign for someone as slightly built and young as he is. He still sometimes forces his way to the basket and runs out of space, but he is learning.

The Hawks D is lacking as a team and Trae is one reason for that. He also turns the ball over to often, but that is not surprising for a young point guard. He does make some pretty amazing passes.

I have been very impressed with the potential of of Kevin Huerter. Excellent handle for a guy his size. Good Shooter. Could stand to bulk up a little to add an inside element to his game and rebound stronger. He also needs to improve on Defense.

Doncic is already an outstanding NBA player. The trade looked terrible the first couple months of the season, but if the Hawks get another strong player with the draft pick it may turn out pretty well for both teams.

Chicago. Young's range is TOO far. He does not have the mechanics to hit at a high percentage from so far out. He has 2 weaknesses right now, he is extremely streaky on jump shots and he turns the ball over too much.

A strong coach would make him stop chucking from 30 ft out

• ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree from an offensive perspective. He is very weak defensively right now. It may be Coach does not want to put too much on Trae's shoulders at this point, but his effort on that end of the floor needs to pick up. I don't see him as a guy who is ever going to make the All-Defense team, but we need him to become average by the time this team is able to compete for a playoff spot in a couple years..

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mav fans absolutely love Doncic. And we are obviously used to falling in love with the Euro player. But Young is also looking good and should be a great player.

The biggest advantage that Doncic has is size. And he's becoming a triple double machine.

Even if the Hawks get a great player with the Mavs pick - Dallas fans are very happy with the trade.

Could turn out to be a win/win trade for both sides. Nothing wrong with that.

Now, if the Mavs continue to slide like they have since their last two trades, and end up with a top 5 pick - then it really speeds up the rebuild for the Mavs.

texdawg I'm good with Dallas being pleased with Doncic, they should be. This looks like a trade where both sides will get great value.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree. And Young would have been very popular in Dallas - especially with 1/3 of OU graduates living in DFW.

• PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2019

Doncic can ball, no doubt. I think he'll hit a ceiling though that Trae can end up surpassing. Except grabbing boards maybe