Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Hawks might have won the trade

Comments

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Based off the eye test and stats I currently can't find you actually have it reversed. I remember Young bricking just about every close to the three point line jumpers early in and although I can't find it at this moment, I remember reading over at another forum that said he hits 40% of his threes from deeper than 23-25. Strange? Sure, but it's been what he is.

Like I said earlier this afternoon, it hasn't been his shooting that has been a problem lately. He's not going to be an elite three point shooter, I'll be surprised if he ever shoots more than 40% from three, he's more likely to settle in at around 37/38%. It's been his finishing that has been. It's weird but he's rarely had both the overall inside game and jump shot working all season even when he's played well.

• TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trae has gotten better since the beginning of the season. His improvement has been greater than Doncic (yes Doncic is a better player but Trae has closed the gap so to speak). That said I have went from pretty pessimistic on the trade to having my eye brows perked up.

The big thing for the Hawks is getting that guy to sell seats. Not sure Trae is that guy but building a championship caliber roster around him will do the trick. Winning cures all....I can see a valuable free agent actually liking his spot in Atlanta now with Trae and Collins.

After the first 2 weeks of the season, I had dreams of Barrett or Zion. They have played their way out of those two more than likely so now it is back to the free agent market.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

GeorgiaGirl. Trae has shot .406 over his last 10 games, that is slightly lower than his season average to date. He went through a stretch where his shooting improved, but he's shot poorly of late.

I'd have to see stats on his 3 pt range accuracy, but it's my perception that he throws a ton of bricks from deep.

dawgteamfan. Mike Vick didn't get The Falcons to The Super Bowl. I'm not sure how he put the team on the map other than the publicity he garnered from torturing and killing dogs.

Also to answer another poster. We don't need a player who gets publicity, we need components who can produce for a championship team.

edited February 2019

Trae's split of late is 41.1% FG/43.9% 3PT/81.3% FT.

Even if you trash the 8-12 game, it's at 40.8% FG/40.5% 3PT over the last ten, just going back 1. By the way, it's easy to look up percentages, just use basketball reference.

The 3 point shot isn't the issue here of late even if the overall FG is low, I don't really think he's an actual sharpshooter and think he'll settle in at about the 38% 3PT mark so he's actually at a higher mark than I really think he can do. It's Trae is inconsistent inside that is.

• dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well when I say put them on the map I mean create some buzz, nobody talks about the Hawks right now, nobody talked about the falcons until Vick swaggered in, your memory is failing if you don't think he put the falcons on the map, he was the Michael Jordan of football for a few years there, nobody had saw anything like him. Exciting times that surely could have ended in a Superbowl had Vick ever started studying film and not fought dogs. Sad.

So Young shoots 38% from 3 from 28+ feet and 28.5% from closer. Doesn't make one lick of sense but that's been what he's been. I bet if you filtered out from 23-25 it'd get even more ridiculous.

• dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He's balling again!

• Dakota_NesterDakota_Nester Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not sure if this was mentioned, but Luka did play 2 years in the Euro before coming over. I did expect him to play better than Trae from the start . I think year 3 will be the telling year to evaluate the trade

dawgtimafan. Mike Vick is pure trash, I just don't have any interest is glorifying his pimp ass.

Sports is about winning, not ''buzz'', MJ is MJ because he won with style and didn't torture dogs for sport.

Trae had 36 pts, 8 boards and 10 assist tonight. A very good sign, he took 17 free throws and made 16. He is the best rookie at attacking the basket, I didn't see that coming.

GeorgiaGirl, where did you find the stat of Trae's 3 pt percentages ?

edited February 2019

You can simply go to basketball-reference.com, search a player, click on gamelogs, and click the columns. It'll do the math.

Trae actually isn't very good inside this season, it's more he's not afraid to go in there, but the percentages are bad for right at the rim. I can't find the snippet to TheAthletic article off the back that I saw earlier today, but he drives at about 10.5 times per game and only scores 44.5% of the time. Not great.

ETA: Finally found it. I'm actually way low on the drives but only off by .1 on the amount of the time he scores. He drives 17.1 times per game. Clearly not afraid to get inside but when he gets there, it sometimes is not pretty by that stat and by the eyes.

His float game, passing, and doing much better with the shooting than November is much of the story.

Trae is really good at the rim, it just shows up in how often he goes to the foul line. He hit 16 of 17 free throws tonight, that is the same as going 8 for 8.5 shooting 2 pt shots.

• EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love Trae I’m getting a Jersey never understood the doubters...

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Both the Mavs and Hawks had to have a great draft and they both did.

Doncic had 26pts 10 rebs 7 assts tonight

• TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Luka is still only just now turned 20 years old. For his age, he is doing things never seen before.

Not sure why playing in Euro would translate to better when the players are the same age.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trae Young with back to back 36 pt outings vs Rockets in an 8 point loss and again last night in an OT victory over Minnesota where he and Collins combined for like 69-70 pts. Something tells me that Dallas is gonna land in the top 5 in the Lottery and we'll b screwed out of the 2nd 1st round pick but if we do get it we still have to nail the pick to win the trade.