Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Wealthy parents bribe their kids in to elite colleges using athletic teams

BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is some crazy stuff just breaking today, with high profile people, including hollywood types, paying huge bribes for their kids to get in places like Stanford, Yale, Georgetown etc. The women’s soccer coach at Yale and Sailing coach at Stanford have been accused of accepting bribes while using the athletics teams to gain preferred admission status for the applicants even though they never played soccer. Someone else would take the SAT or ACT to get scores above the admission threshold and then the coach would push them thru to guarantee admission. I assume they were still “walk-ons”.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/college-entrance-exam-cheating

Comments

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • RobbieRob14RobbieRob14 Posts: 217 ✭✭✭ Junior

Now this is something worth the FBI's time. Better than wire tapping college basketball coaches' phones.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Money talks.... and tends to destroy all integrity in the process.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sailing coach...😂😂😂

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Disgusting, makes me wonder what these students would do once they got there, are they planning on bribing their way through the classes too?

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nothing new. You think all those rich boosters who have kids on the football, soccer, etc. team actually deserve it? Some of the kids deserve it, most don't. But if daddy forks over a few million, you bet there will be a spot on the team. And if some are willing to pay a lot to get their kid on a team, you better believe they'd do it for grades too.

the fact the most elite academic institutions in America are involved is what is so shocking.

Then again, Ive never doubted Dubya had behind the scenes help getting in to Yale and then Harvard.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wouldn't call Georgetown, Stanford, UCLA, USD, USC, UT Austin, Wake Forest, and Yale most of the elite academic institutions in America. This type of stuff is likely happening at many more places, but these are just the universities involved with "The Key" college counseling business which organized all the fraud.

There is a dofference between saying “the most elite” and “most of the elite”.

You do have a point about Yale. Apparently just about anyone can get in there nowadays.

You're right I misread it. My bad. Didn't go for undergrad, but yeah there are definitely many undergrads that got in because they had parents with money or influence. Most get in on merit but still too many that ride their parents' coattails.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yale has always been by and for old money and social connections. JFK actually made a joke while giving a speech at Yale. The gist was Harvard for brains, Yale for social ties.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure how this is much different than some elite athlete who barely scores an 18 on the ACT gets a full scholarship to an elite school, or countless other athletes who barely speak English get into prestigious schools. College is a business. They exist to make money. I don't really care if someone bribes their way into college. That's the college's business. If parents want to pay the school a ton of money to let their little Johnny sit in class and go to fraternity parties, so what? Now, if they were bribing he school into giving little Johnny a scholarship paid through public funds....that is different. I really don't care how "elite" schools fill their classrooms.

PG. well athletes bring talent and skill to the institutions, rich kids just buy their way in or ride their parents coattails as legacies.

Say a kid gets in because she is a talented pianist, would that really be much different than having a well developed talent at throwing a ball ?

edited March 2019

It'd be one thing if it was a wealthy donor giving money directly to the school with a wink and a nod (still wrong imo) but this was a guy bribing ACT officials and college coaches to get kids in to these schools which is racketeering.

Edit: most schools receive public funds, so it's a big deal if there is large scale fraud displacing deserving students.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just saying it's not shocking that undeserving kids get into college. As far as being a college "student", there isn't much difference between an athlete with questionable academic abilities on scholarship and a rich kid who faked his way in. Actually, the athlete is using public funds while the rich kid is paying out of pocket. Big schools admit thousands of freshmen every year and thousands drop out every year. So what if a couple sneak in through the cracks? It all seems to work out in the end.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with you if it’s a private school, because when you’re a private entity you can pretty much do what you want. They just lose credibility if caught, but shouldn’t be punished. But a publicly funded/state school accepting bribes to get people in means you’re leaving out a deserving student for said bribes.

I pretty much agree up until the point the parents pay someone to commit academic fraud in order to trick the admissions office in to giving them a spot someone else deserved, and then the paying of bribes to have the coaches also practice deception. In the case of someone like George Bush, the entire university administration knew what was going on and that they were (allegedly) selling admission to a wealthy legacy applicant. That’s not the case here.

@Teddy private universities also receive federal funding. I know for sure through the NIH but I'm sure there are other programs as well.

Absolutely. Yale has students attending on Govt stipends so they can be indoctrinated as “Climate Change” climatologists. Probably geology and geophysics.

PG. how about comparing the pianist with an otherwise undistinguished resume vs a great athlete with a similar resume ? Both have a unique and marketable skill that can benefit the institution.