Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Gauntlet Thrown Down - Pronounce Pecan

FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Georgia is the leading producer of pecans, a native American tree nut. @RPMdawg in @donm 's Day OP (cannot embed) wants the pronunciation to be PEE can (long e, he says). I learned it as pe KAHN. I've also heard it a Pee kin. We'll forget the last one. Let's see what you got.

Indicate if you're from the Albany area in your comment por favor.

Gauntlet Thrown Down - Pronounce Pecan 73 votes

Pecan is pronounced "PEE can"
57%
dawgnmsBigDawg279CZCashvilleDawgtfk_fanboyTeddybigdawg2223AgDawgRotgutHenley79Dawgsince76ArmyDawg86AndersonDawgKaseyjgf1031efreeman3BigcalidawgDawg1419coastaldawgWCDawgAtlanta_Dawg 42 votes
Pecan is pronounced "Pe KAHN"
39%
donmBamaDawgmattmd2ihateusernamesBulldawg90dawgnation7christopherulesDevil03Dawg07OldGuardDawgFirePlugDawgDipDawgJimWallaceAnotherDawgPerroGrandebrady01RxDawgTNDawg71YaleDawgcschuler13HornedDawgs 29 votes
Pecan is pronounced some other way
2%
amjadawgsinsertusernamehere 2 votes

Comments

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There's no debate. You throw trash in a can not kahn

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

unless you are from Bah-ston.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“Pee-can pie” pe-Kahn as standalone...don’t ask ???

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We know it is pronounced pee can but do not spell it different than pecan. We know that we pronounce it right.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pee can.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The only people I know who say PEE-can are Hollywood actors in movies about the South made by people who don't know anything about the South.

According to the just released census of agriculture Georgia is easily the #1 in pecan production. What we say goes. Mama not even on the charts.

anyone ever have autocorrect change bama to Mama?

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Pecan is pronounced some other way

PEE KAHN - no emphasis on either syllable.

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m from California and I thought it was pretty interchangeable. My wife is southern through and through (been on the same land here in Lawrenceville for 200 years) and says pee-can, so I’ll defer to her on this one.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

Good choice for 2 reasons. the least of which is it's the right pronunciation

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It is not only the best southern dessert but likely the best dessert that exists

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My mama would NOT be happy about that.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My bride makes PEEcan pie and it is good! Her punkin pies ain't bad either. A little vanilla ice cream (homemade if available) Mmmm. 🙂👍

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was raised in Albany, and my family has been in SW Ga since 1780. We say Pe-Kahn.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

lord have mercy... this thread has me all confused. I say it differently depending on what I am referring to. Just give me some pie and let stew on it

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We should stop referring to it as a pecan pie and call it the best dam.n thing to pass between your lips