Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What the Flowers, where did that come from!!!

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

This has been an exceptional season for Greene. He hasn't been close to as good stat wise before this year. Still, he must be letting the trade get to him. The Braves have had MANY nervous closers over the years.

We can only hope he gets over this soon.

There is a load of room between a 1.18 ERA and absolutely being terrible. One of our announcers said he's making his pitches, he's just getting too much of the plate. What the duck does that even mean ? If throwing flat 90 MPH pitches waist high down the center of the plate is making his pitches, what does it look like when he's missing ?

• LD10LD10 Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

4 for 35 RISP in series pathetic...

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it was one of those filler comments, kind of like “Well John, I think the team with the most points at the end of the game will win” nonsense so there isn’t silence. And they don’t bash the guy, which is good job security for the home team announcers.

Luckily both Washington and Philly lost today, so we sort of got a mulligan.

We go to Minn. next and face the #1 team in MLB in hitting HRs.

• swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I watched the game last night with the blown save

A few of those balls were bloop hits

It happens.

I wasn't able to watch yesterday's game, he was awful today though. When you throw 12 out of 13 pitches for strikes, you're not a power pitcher and most of them are flat, fat and down the middle, you're going to get hammered 9 out of 10 games.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Greene is a quality pitcher that we actually targeted over the offseason (and couldn't get then, also may have tried for Castellanos too but the deal fell apart) because we saw something in his arsenal that could make him better, and he implemented it this year (throwing more cutters).

However he never was a true talent 1.18 ERA pitcher. He had a .181 BABIP this year in Detroit, and he's moved to a team that slipped big time in being able to prevent infield grounders from becoming base hits. I can't dig up the numbers exactly (I think last year we were at .218 on grounders becoming base hits, but this year it's .270?), but compared to last year which I know was top 5-10, this year the Braves are bottom 5-10 in preventing grounders from becoming base hits. Luke shouldn't be closer, but with stats like those floating around, some guys might have to admit he wasn't "that" big of a problem.

Melancon also isn't what he used to be in 2013-2016. You can almost argue that arsenal wise and ability, the pitchers that we acquired, it goes Martin/Greene/Melancon.

tl;dr:

This is a hint to not get on the pitching coach here on Greene. We should be happy tbh if he ends up pitching to a 3 ERA ROS.

Also, Martin maybe should close. He had closing experience in Texas and Japan, which while Japan is a step down, it still has great crowds.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is the right answer. Didn’t watch today, but yesterday he gave up that run without anyone hitting it hard on him. Just bad bapip luck.

And anyone thinking he is a true talent 1.18 era guy is misinformed. He is good, not elite but good. We should be happy we have him, even if he has started off rocky.

edited August 2019

Greene hasn't been a very good pitcher before this year other than 2017 when his ERA was 2.66. He had a 5.12 ERA in 2018. His career numbers are 4.54 ERA 1.345 whip and 2.58 so/w ratio. My hope was we'd land Felipe Vasquez from The Pirates. He's much younger and under control for another 4 years. His career numbers are 2.69 ERA, 1.095 WHIP and 3.85 SO/W ratio. Anybody can look back through this thread and see my concerns. I was still happy we got Greene though, I never expected him to struggle the rest of the year, though common sense told me he likely wasn't going to be great for long.

Given his career struggles now I'm in a wait and hope mode. I'm apprehensive though.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

In 2016 Greene was as unlucky as he was lucky this year. He had a 5.82 ERA, but a 3.13 FIP/3.95 xFIP.

Or are we really going to do this again where I have to talk about how good luck and bad luck and how advanced analytics are actually a legit thing and you can't just use your eye test and look at the cold stats?

Edit: In fact, I'll go ahead and just call it. I'm not interested in arguing it. You can keep looking at the cold stats on him while several other younger people are open to looking at more.

Vazquez also really wasn't available either. It would've taken Waters minimum, which we weren't doing.

edited August 2019

The WHIP combined with ERA pretty much tells the story on Greene to me. Greene hasn't been just unlucky most of his career. I don't know how your view of his performance today will look by your measures. Maybe throwing 12 out of 13 pitches for strikes will look like a plus. What I saw was catching too much of the plate with low velocity and little movement. That will usually get you chased from a game.

I know Vasquez wasn't available, but at the time nobody who reports on those things knew what Pirates' management was going to do. In a perfect world with owners who would spend to win we'd have Grienke , then having a top closer would be a bit less important.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hadn’t seen Greene pitch much, if any, before yesterday’s game. From his two Braves appearances it seems like he doesn’t have good enough stuff to miss his spots. Had bad breaks in yesterday’s game, but his pitches today were getting way too much of the plate. Personally, I would prefer a closer with better strikeout potential, but anyone who can get the job done is fine with me.

This discussion has been closed.