Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Next To Commit To The G 2020

Comments

• agphillagphill Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2019

Very interesting stuff here. Exciting to think about a more explosive offense.

• DawgatronDawgatron Posts: 449 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2019

What do you think the real LIMFAC with our run game was this past year. I assume you’ll point to a confluence of the following factors, but do you want to assign more weight to one as opposed to others:

1: Poor run blocking?

2: Underperforming Swift?

3: Underperforming Herrien?

4: Wrong type of run plays called?

5: Other?

Very interested for your take in this. I know you’ve posted that D’s loading the box is nothing new, so I didn’t list it.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah it was all of that. Starts with poor play calling. Took to long this season to run off tackle. Injuries and inability to climb to second level, effected run blocking. Lesser talent at RB positions.

Swift should’ve cemented his first round status imo this year. He did things that doesn’t suit his skill set and his usage rate improved. I know he got hurt at year end but I’d have more confidence taking him in first round.

• Kmk72Kmk72 Posts: 32 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would agree that the dismal passing game hurt out run game no doubt.... However, they rarely tried to run outside. Everything was a draw or inside run.

OL did not have a good year knocking guys off the ball and getting to the 2nd level IMO.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In my opinion the decrease in the run game was caused by several factors. First and the most important was the lack of receivers that caused any defense to fear them. Who of Georgia's receivers had real break away speed? For example Georgia's top three non freshman receivers were all hampered by injuries. The second problem was instability on the O-line. Georgia's O-line rarely had the same five starters start multiple games. In 2017 the O-line started the same five with only one change all year. It was also true that everyone and that includes me had unreasonable expectations for Zamir White coming off two ACL's. While D'Andre Swift was a great back I think he was overused and this led to his nagging injuries.

• gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know it isn't realistic this year, but I would LOVE if Hines Ward became our WR coach. He has expressed interest in coming back one day and coaching. I think he'd be an INCREDIBLE recruiter and could certainly develop the WR's.

• JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wasn’t d-Rob supposed to have that breakaway speed? Was he hurt this year, or did Fromm just miss him open a lot, which has been suggested by many posters here and elsewhere? And does that speed really mean much? I’m thinking of both Tyler Simmons and going in the way back machine to Reggie Davis, who was supposed to be quite the burner but never did much of anything.

JimmyBob yes D-Rob has break away speed but he played with a bad hamstring all year. Fromm was constantly throwing behind him on crossing routes. I think he ran faster in games than he did in practice but Fromm's inability to connect with D-rob was also a major problem in Georgia's passing game that I left out.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@oldon42 You added good stuff, but @JoelSidneyKelly said the important part first, Not slighting you, but giving credit where due. From my point of view.

Get the passing straightened out, and everyone eats.

I may have missed his post. There has been so much activity on this thread, that I have given up trying to read all the posts and just gone to the last page. I know that I can not keep track of who said what.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

1: Poor run blocking?

A: I would more accurately characterize it as "inconsistent run blocking" derived from lapses in execution, as well as some scheme issues.

2: Underperforming Swift?

A: I don't believe Swift under performed. He was a victim of some inconsistent blocking, defenses keying on the run and Jake checking into some bad running plays.

3: Underperforming Herrien?

A: See answer for #2.

4: Wrong type of run plays called?

A: Yes, I believe this was an issue.

5: Other?

A: Lack of pulling linemen made running to the outside less successful IMO. I'm also not a fan of hybrid blocking schemes. Late in the 3rd Qtr. against AU we went to a more conventional run blocking scheme and ran it down their throats scoring our third and final TD to go up 21-0. I prefer that blocking approach. I'll be interested to see what CML's philosophy will be in 2020.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is nothing off topic about the question. Three principal targets for one school and they are all taking their sweet time? D-mn good question, in fact, and pertinent.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2019

Last year there was a lot of fans that felt that after ESD the class finished with a whimper! That's why I think that he wanted this year to end with a bang at the all-star games. The buzz around the class will be enhanced by the fact that the national audience will see the UGA brand get a boost that will last all preseason.

• RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For anyone trying to lay the blame at the feet of the passing game for the struggles of the running game this season, all you have to do is think back to Fromm's freshman season to realize that is an erroneous assumption.

The threat of the passing game during his freshman season was almost non-existent with how much Chaney was trying to protect Fromm, rightfully so, during that year. We were still able to effectively run the ball even though defenses knew that's what we were trying to do. There are several factors such as lack of continuity along the OLine, lack of run blocking execution, but to me the biggest difference was the play selection and the play calls.

This discussion has been closed.