Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Chaney Debate - Tape Breakdown - Please! I want to hear a defense for this guy.

awwfake17awwfake17 Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

**CHANEY DEBATE# **

Per the title, ya'll can probably assume I am not the biggest fan of our Offensive coordinator. I hated his play calling for Jacob Eason and I have hated his play calling this year for Jake Fromm (even the games we won by double digits).My biggest issue with the guy is that his scheme and play calling progressions do not put our young quarterbacks in a position to gain confidence and make plays. Just don't think he is a good fit long term, but fear that he will retain his job due to team performance this year.
I am really excited for Justin Fields, whenever he sees the field, as he adds another dimension to the offense we haven't seen in years, but I think we could bring a better coach and a improvised scheme to facilitate Field's game.

First off, I want to say, for the most part, this loss doesn't infuriate me; I don't think we are that type of program like Bama that is built to handle the pressure of a number one ranking; I mean look at how the top four played today, it can be argued that those ranked 5-10 are benefitting from increased motivation. The final score of the game was rough but things could of gone a lot differently if the team takes advantage of a couple of missed opportunities. We still have a solid opportunities in front of us if the team stays resilient.
BUT, after watching the game and reviewing some of the tape, I'm not confident with the guy's ability to scheme and make adjustments when conditions change. I was particularly bothered with the play calling in the first half (by the time the offense got the ball in the second half, we were already in the hole, a lot of the tape is garbage time).

Listen, tape don't lie and I'm not an expert at this stuff, so if you disagree with me on something than please speak up and respond. This is all editorial. I understand everyone has different opinions and outlooks on the how the game should be played, these are simply my opinions so I will accept critique and criticism but please respect that I am breaking this down because of my love for the game and the team. It's my way of venting frustration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LOWwB9oFaE ; 30 min vid of every play in AU-UGA game.

SCHEMES:

In general, I am not a fan of how he is using run and pass schemes:

• It appears we combine a power run scheme with a vertical passing scheme, primarily out of the spread offense; listen, I'm more of a ZBS, west-coast out the pistol or under I in College football guy, but that's opinion so I won't get too deep into scheme concepts.
  • It's more about how we utilize the scheme.
  • If I had to guess, the idea is have the opposing defense stock up the middle and throw to the deep outside boundaries of the field, but when we can't pass, and there is no variability at all, the offense becomes predictable and inefficient.

Comments

• awwfake17awwfake17 Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

PASS GAME:

Obviously I think the pass game is more of a problem than the run game, and that a quality pass game could supplement the run game we currently run. PLEASE JIM, INCORPORATE MORE PLAY ACTION.
    Primarily, almost exclusively, our passing game works routes, usually at least 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, to the outside numbers of the field (from the outer boundary to halfway between the numbers and hash markings). Fromm has a pretty good back shoulder throw, but we got to mix it up a little bit.
    Watching the first half tape:

• In the first half, we ran a total of 16 pass plays: 11 standard dropback passes and 5 play action passes.
    • This stat is nuts, in the first half, and throughout most of the game (even in garbage time) there were very few pass attempts down the middle of the field. Very few.
    • Of 11 Pass attempts (that actually made it downfield) in the first half, 10 passes were in the outer portion of the field and 1 pass was in the middle of the field (the long drop early in the first half) Even through garbage time this was a common theme in the game.
    • I think we should give Fromm a bit of a break, considering the majority of passes took place on third and long passing situations, Fromm had little to no chance to complete high efficiency passes in the first half. Fromm's biggest hope was the play action pass game, with each attempt in the first half creating the best opportunities of the game.
    • Overview of play action use, 5 plays: 1 pass completed for 26 yards on the first drive, 1 long pass dropped in the middle of the field, 1 pass, around ten yards, dropped, 1 flea flicker pass missed by Fromm, and 1 pass completed for six yards.
    • Even though the offense converted 2/5 play action opportunities, every single play action play should of been converted; play action was clearly working, and led to better opportunities than the standard drop back pass.
    • Play action passes were used in scarcity, regardless of the predictability of each down and the opportunities created by other PA plays; Chaney made no attempt to influence defenders in the middle of the field, in result, defenders could constantly attack and control the central Georgia rushing game.
    • 2 specific scenarios: the team made it to first and short, in both situations, Chaney did not use or tease the run (didn't influence LB movement at all) and opted for two standard drop back passes that did not convert.
    • Throughout the game, linebackers were not threatened at all by the passing game at all; there were no slants or short passes that sought to get behind or influence the linebackers (our Tight Ends haven't been utilized all season); no screens or passes in the flat.
    • Both this season and last season I feel that Chaney has done a poor job at getting the Freshman in a rhythm with short passes and a solid play action game to supplement the strong run game, the run-run-pass offense allows defense to attack the QB on 3rd down; watching Fromm in this game was similar to watching Eason last year.

FIX:

• MORE PLAY ACTION AND MOTION: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
    • I think Chaney is a subscriber of the "run to set up the pass" fallacy: this is the dumbest phrase ever in football.
    • Yes, the run sets up the pass, but the pass also sets up the run: a coordinator should constantly adjust the game to fit what a defense is giving you; yes, the run game should be the focus but football isn't this dimensional, use some variability please!
    • I understand you can't use play action all the time, but opposing defenses are going to expect us to run; complex motions, screen passes, and play action passing is going to improve balance to an offensive attack.
    • In general, getting Fromm into a rhythm by setting up some short high percentage passes. I don't think Chaney knows what a slant or screen is but maybe he can learn.
    • This may sound crazy, but try throwing it to new areas of the field. Also, in football you can pass it behind the line of scrimmage; that Hardman kid is prepped. for a wideout screen.
    • If Fromm is not going to go through pass progressions; use more motions and shifts by receivers and tight ends, be creative.
    • Influence those linebackers, use all the tools in the arsenal, get Swift behind some linebackers.
    • All in all, the Georgia offense is just too predictable, watch the tape and review the numbers, it is obvious. BE LESS PREDICTABLE: for example; second down was the absolute worst, the offense threw the ball 3 times and ran the ball 10 times; two times in particular Chaney decided to run the ball on 2 and forever while we were down big in the ball game.
    • Watch the front 7 of Auburn, it appears Chaney did nothing to influence their play. (I am actually a huge fan of Malzahn's offense in these regards).
    • Let me be clear, I am not suggesting the offense needs to pass the ball more, rather they to be less predictable and more balanced across all areas of the field; I love hitting people in the mouth with the run game, but there are ways to get more proficient in this area.

PLAY SPACING AND TEMPO

I understand in a game against Auburn's high tempo offense why you would want to slow the tempo of the Georgia offense but sometimes variability in spacing and tempo would be resourceful.

• There are times in which offenses wish to go no huddle throughout a whole drive, and situations in which they wish to kill clock. But, I also come from the camp that believes, throughout each drive, it is important to adjust spacing and tempo accordingly to the previous play.
    • Two specific drives in the first half I believe Georgia should of adjusted play spacing and tempo; they were really similar. Georgia hit a 5-7 yard gain, allowed the Auburn defense to adjust, ran it down the middle, allowed the Auburn defense to adjust, ran a unsuccessful drop back pass on 3rd and short.
    • For example, in one of the drives Hardman hits a seven yard gain, afterwards, we're going to run, it's college football..... get to the line snap the ball and get the defense on their heals; maybe an opportunity to get to the line quick and run one of those "play action pass" things. Just saying.
    • What actually happened: Auburn stuffs the run game, we run dumb pass plays on 3rd and short.
    • Some up tempo through the whole drive would be nice occasionally.

ANYWAY I SHOULD STOP RAMBLING

• If you read this whole thing, I really appreciate it; I'm really doing this to vent frustration and sooth my emotions.
    • Watch the offensive tape, it's worth it. I don't think I'm off base on this stuff; the numbers prove it to some degree.
    • I think our talent and weak conference got us far this season, but if Chaney is put in to complex situations and scenarios our offense will flounder.
    • When opposing defenses adjust, Chaney simply doesn't: it's in the tape.
    • This team has a lot of potential; of course it needs to improve execution on all phases of offenses but I believe it could excel under proper guidance and coaching.
    • I hate being so vain but - Chaney's gotta go.
  • bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with every single thing you've said after all the recruits sign. Bye Jim!

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

No defense of a coach who left the building in the 3rd qtr.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Man turn off the bright lights and all the cockroaches come out I guess

Keep riding the Chaney train until it derails in a heap.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgnms said:

Are you suggesting that at 9-1 we fire Chaney and bring in someone else? Whom would you bring in with 3-5 games to go? Bill Walsh? Don Coryell? We'd be better served by raising the level of play of our OL and fixing whatever else could use fixing.

• NoogaDawgNoogaDawg Posts: 30 ✭✭ Sophomore

I'm not on the Fire Jim Chaney train yet because I think he called some great games this year. But he was terrible this game. I agree with everything in that huge post at least as far as how Chaney screwed up in the Auburn game. I felt like I was banging my head against a wall over and over as we ran Chubb up the middle twice and then had an incomplete pass on 3rd down. Im not saying we should fire him but he needs to learn how to adjust when his initial game plan doesn't pan out.

• NoogaDawgNoogaDawg Posts: 30 ✭✭ Sophomore

Also, I feel like D'Andre Swift was in the game for MAYBE 10 plays. And Herrien got a carry when we still had a chance of a comeback. I just don't understand.

@donm said:

@dawgnms said:

Are you suggesting that at 9-1 we fire Chaney and bring in someone else? Whom would you bring in with 3-5 games to go? Bill Walsh? Don Coryell? We'd be better served by raising the level of play of our OL and fixing whatever else could use fixing.

Should have fired him last year. But sigh I digress

@dawgnms said:

@donm said:

@dawgnms said:

Yea so all our young guys can learn their fourth system in four years. Wonderful plan

@Kasey said:

@dawgnms said:

@donm said:

@dawgnms said:

Yea so all our young guys can learn their fourth system in four years. Wonderful plan

Seems to me they did not learn s h I t last night. Keep making excuses to ride the train of a 2nd rate OC

@dawgnms said:

@Kasey said:

@dawgnms said:

@donm said:

@dawgnms said:

Seems to me they did not learn s h I t last night. Keep making excuses to ride the train of a 2nd rate OC

Yea I will. One loss after 9 wins (10 if you count the last bowl game). But you can keep up the outrage industrial complex bc it’s clearly working for you. Or maybe you can apply to be offensive assistant since you have such unfettered team access and knowledge

Chaney with his knowledge and unfettered access is still 2nd rate

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@NoogaDawg said:
    Also, I feel like D'Andre Swift was in the game for MAYBE 10 plays. And Herrien got a carry when we still had a chance of a comeback. I just don't understand.

it's good for a man to know his limitations.

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's hard to improve much from being undefeated this late in the year because '17 has been good to us DAWG fans. But seeing what COULD be here if we had a more aggressive approach offensively is crazy. We are beyond predictable calling plays.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have averaged 41 points versus the SEC East and only been under 40 once - what is considered good enough if that ain't?