Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah they're basically saying this is here to stay might as well find a way to live with it. That's a terrifying future but it may be reality. About a third of the deaths are in nursing homes I believe. Sweden does have a really interesting demographic breakdown that is helping them with this strategy as well as a really strong sense of collectivism. They are doing well with social distancing without mandatory rules.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can-o-worms time... as it opens (sounds like a can of tennis balls opening, with a faint background voice saying "don't do it...).

HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING (again, same faint voice)...

Given two choices, which would you choose:

A. Live in a free, America-ish society with an average lifespan of 45 years

B. Live in a communist, China-ish society with an average age of 90 years

(Basically, of course, do you judge quality over quantity, etc. not guaranteed anything, but letting percentages do their thing). And don't hit me with the "we shouldn't have to choose" side arguement. No crap, we shouldn't. It's my game! Just play it...

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

People keep talking about a vaccine and the time frame needed to produce one.

Is it not true that their has never been a vaccine produced for a corona virus in the past?

Not MERS not SARS.... why is everyone convinced there will be a vaccine for Covid - 19?

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not being critical. Just a suggestion. Maybe too big a spread. Don't think the avg. life span in China would be 90, nor only 45 in US.

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod
    edited April 2020

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. 2 million is a scary number. Really need a vaccine then. Do you have any numbers on the economy? How long can it last in its current state?

Also prayers for your continued health. I am very sorry to hear about your situation and I really hope you can get the procedures you need done soon.

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

I wasn't trying to suggest anything. Just wanted to know if he had numbers on what would happen if we went herd immunity vs waiting for vaccine.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Denmen185 prayers and concern for you sir.

As someone who has to have an annual colonoscopy because of family history.....I'm praying you can have your procedure ASAP.

Hypothetical...

Neither scenario is real...

Just looking for opinion on which outlandish scenario you would prefer - aka free society that may kill you vs. not-near-as-free that may allow you to "live" longer. A few free years vs. a lot of manipulated years. Play the game! Or don't, it's a **** game for discussion sake...

Denmen185 -

I have had 2 colonoscopies already, and due another this year as well. Hoping to get mine done with no delays. I have been clear so far, but my dad (died at 51) and his brother (died at 47) both got bit by colon cancer. My older sister had a foot of her colon removed at 46 - they found it later than they wanted, but soon enough and she is cancer free.

Praying for you!

I'm glad you're taking care of yourself with that in your family history.

MERS and SARS were never widespread enough to warrant continued development of a vaccine and the common coronaviruses don't do enough damage where we would need a vaccine for them. Some previous research into coronaviruses including SARS-COV isn't very promising for vaccine development and preliminary research into SARS-COV-2 also isn't very promising, but we aren't entirely sure yet. There are ways to artificially create stronger immune responses with vaccines though.

• dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There he been major advances since Jenner first noted that milk maids were relatively protected against smallpox, including the past few years. The likely reason we haven't developed vaccine for corona virus is because the SARS and MERS infections diminished rapidly. Attachment proteins on the viral capsule are a logical target. Several companies are applying that approach now. There are other targets being explored as well. Developing vaccines is a mine field, though.

This discussion has been closed.