Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Impeachment ended February 5th. I know it's a short month but not that short!

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well said. Not many are willing to place blame on both sides. I think it's obvious. Why are we hung up on petty arguments about masks when the federal government spent more money in the first quarter than all of 2019 combined? A bi-partisan affair i might add. At least we had plenty of extra money in our federal coffers /s.

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gray, it wasn't you having an opinion, that I was questioning. I think you know I value your opinion whether it is shared or different from mine.

No, it's that folks on the left are fed ill intent about what those on the right think and those on the right are fed ill intent about what those on the left think. To me this assumption of others as evil, traitors, or names like libturds - which I was called on this board - this animosity to those who have different opinions, that infects so much of what we hear, this is what I hate. There are dark forces out there trying to tell you what I think or telling me what you think and they are both wrong. It seemed, and I could be wrong, that there was an assumption, not of yours, but of the way that information is being given to you that those who are concerned about Covid19 are not concerned about the economy. I wanted to make sure you know I am concerned about the economy and that I am more concerned about people using good practices than what is opening up. It would be equally unfair for anyone to think that most of those who are concerned about the economy aren't concerned about Covid19.

Oh an I agree about rural vs urban areas needing different practices. When I am out running, I don't wear a mask because I'm not within 6 feet of anyone. It's only when I go to a store or something that I wear a mask as wearing one in crowded areas helps reduce spread.

• Options
    BobLBobL Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Trump said the "hysteria" surrounding the virus was a hoax. In light of banning travel from China 1/29/20, he clearly did not think the virus was a hoax (as misrepresented by the main stream media).

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes and people including people here are saying Trump should have known about this in January and done something including people wearing masks in February.. I thought maybe you were clued in on some of the talk. My mistake.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Correct, but his main advisor(Fauci) was saying that there was nothing to worry about.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Okay clue me in. What exactly did he do Feb 6-29 to prepare for the virus?

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh come on now Kasey. Trump wasn't calling the virus a hoax. He was calling the Dem critique of how he's handled it a hoax. Among other things. But of course the Dems took the sound bite and ran with it to do PR damage. They've pulled this nasty trick multiple times actually.

• Options

Good post. Assigning malicious intent is a dirty tactic that has gotten far out of hand lately. And if one side does it, than the other will, and it will just feed into itself. It's a big reason i've gotten so skeptical of anything I hear lately. See my last post above for a good example of it.

• Options

I agree that the pettiness and hatred between "sides" is frustrating. I believe it is a product of the media. Bush is dumb, Obama is a Muslim, Trump colluded with Russia, etc. All narratives that are absolutely ludicrous but were never shut down by the media and were often perpetuated by the same. Why? Ratings are part of it. I dont think it is all of it. Why is it we never hear reasonable debate on anything of importance? Why are we squabbling over masks when there are far greater issues being glossed over. I dont have the answers. I just don't think it is coincidence that there is always something petty to squabble about in politics. I don't think ratings are the whole story. I don't think the blame is isolated to a political persuasion. But what do I know? What do any of us really know, if we're being honest?

• Options

Bad information leads to bad decisions. I never realized how easy it is to manipulate the masses.

• Options
    SupraSupra Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just because there’s bad information out there doesn’t mean we’re doomed to watch it.

Avoiding news that’s designed for entertainment is an easy way to get more solid information (CNN, MSNBC, FOX).

Even if you don’t agree w/ their conclusions, there are still solid media outlets out there that put the facts first. We just have to choose to read them rather than flipping on CNN.

• Options

I agree. I don't even get those channels. However, too many rely on those organizations for information and subsequently too many people are distracted by their narratives and reasonable discussion goes out the window. You can't have a political discussion about anything outside of the garbage pumped by the 24/7 news outlets because almost nobody is aware of anything else. Nobody forms their own opinions. They adopt what they hear from their favorite talking head.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    edited May 2020

I missed the part where he said it was something serious we should work towards getting rid of. Can you point me to that conversation in February? Great second post btw

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. Fauci has always erred on the side of caution in my opinion. It's clear now you have an agenda against the guy for whatever reason, and that's cool.

Oh come on now internet stranger...I know that. But people hear what they want to hear ON BOTH SIDES. So people MIGHT HAVE heard that and wear a red tie MIGHT HAVE believed it was no big deal and continued not doing the right thing. Surely you can understand that nuance...you don't get your mind molded so easily. BOTH SIDES pull the nasty trick. BOTH SIDES.

And if you can't do the math on that, I can't help you.

As far as me, I'm beginning to go stir crazy in small town Minnesota and I'm ready for the world to get back to normal.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2020

Here was Fauci's position as of Jan. 26.

And here was the headline from his Feb. 29 appearance on NBC's Today Show.

To say our government should have been "doing more" in the month of February is revisionist history, or (at best) some serious Monday morning quarterbacking.

• Options

Fleming,

You come at this thread a bit aggressively and are making statements that i dont believe to be true. You say that "people including some on this board" by which you are probably referring to folks like me say Trump should have done something in January.

I think this is not correct. In fact i praised the effort to screen people at airports in January on this board.

My suggestion would be not to come at this thread with accusations, it doesnt help, especially when they are not correct.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Thank you for showing your work as my high school algebra teacher used to say. I was wrong. Which is a challenging phrase to say around here.

• Options

I always love the analysis of the news from a left/right perspective - keeps me grounded. I particularly like how this one shows how the left/right skew is done and it reminds us not to be suckered by sensationalism on matter what side of the spectrum it is on. I think Dawgnation would definitely be near AP, Bloomberg, the Economist etc. Great analysis and fact reporting! Go Dawgs!

• Options

Apologies if I was overly casual in my reply to you Kasey. But you posted something that wasn't true. But it was pushed in mass by the media. So I can understand why you and others might think it was true. This brings us back to the media and just how awful they've been lately.

This discussion has been closed.