Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This.

If your intent is to discuss and possibly persuade, don't attack. People will shut down if attacked.

If your intent is to froth at the mouth and get your dopamine spike then attack. But it won't accomplish anything.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This cannot be accurate. It depicts FOX twice as partisan as CNN. That isn't accurate and likely could be reversed. But it points out the flaw of assigning an objective value to a subjective topic.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

Apology accepted. If i've learned anything is that the blue tie will be very quick to jump on anything the tangerine tweet machine utters. That is a problem. Then his preferred news channel will defend vigorously (understandable) and double down. Someone could just as easily post a few videos of Fox News from February that look pretty bad. It's all a grab for dollars and to be expected.

So on this we agree. If anything, this has taught me I need to be better about collecting experiences rather than consuming things. Eating less while eating better instead of trying to eat every type of food ever made.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If the WSJ is as far RT as CNN is left, then the term "Neutral" is similar to the word "inconceivable."

I don't think that means what they think it means...

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

But, I do like the intent of this graphic, Cali! It shows the relative nature of everything, and show JUST HOW MANY VOICES are out there to consume.

Not sure three channels on the TV didn't make us a stronger country!

• LORLOR Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would say they are both equally partisan with CNN parroting democratic talking points and Fox parroting talking points from the RNC. It’s even worse during prime time with Hannity and Tucker on one side and Cooper and Maddow on the other. They bend stories to fit their narratives and are all but campaigning right now for their choice of President.

• Boss_DawgBoss_Dawg Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

All have brought up great points on media bias. CaliforniaDawg, thanks for bringing the ad fontes chart up. It is the reason I have moved most of my news reading to the AP and Reuters sources. I find it keeps my blood pressure down.

Usually use it to understand the skew of all of the new "news sites" out there before becoming invested in an article. This is the latest version (2019) and you will see they moved CNN further left and FOX a bit more left where the bias of each is pretty comparable.

They also publish their methodology for those interested.

• SupraSupra Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited May 2020

Good stuff here. As an add on, I always try to get my info from multiple sources.

As a couple of others have mentioned, I think part of the problem is getting everything from 1 outlet... no matter how good you think that outlet might be, it's going to have blind spots.

All media is going to have bias. It's part of being a good citizen to pull from multiple sources, recognize their bias, and make up your own mind.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks Kasey. I'm trying to stay out of the politics. (Still managed to get a DV- probably won't be the last.) Was hoping the info would be helpful to the discussion.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I DVed you because it seemed like you were making a bad faith argument. The threat to everyday life was low back in late January and there was no need for major changes from the public. That doesn't mean the government doesn't need to be prepared to prevent a widespread outbreak as you suggested. In that first source Fauci said that the government needs to be prepared and take it seriously. The best tool for preventing infectious disease outbreaks is rapid testing and contact tracing, and we didn't do that effectively. Because of that we have had to rely on more blunt public policy tools which have led to economic shutdowns.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2020

Literally no one would argue with anything you just said. MMQ.

Thanks for the DV. I'll spare you the return favor.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2020
  • BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Big news in the data coming out of NYC today...will link to the source below, but it's from the worldometers site which has been the source of reported case/death data for US & EU:

- New York State conducted an antibody testing study [source], showing that 12.3% of the population in the state had COVID-19 antibodies as of May 1, 2020. The survey developed a baseline infection rate by testing 15,103 people at grocery stores and community centers across the state over the preceding two weeks. The study provides a breakdown by county, race (White 7%, Asian 11.1%, multi/none/other 14.4%, Black 17.4%, Latino/Hispanic 25.4%), and age, among other variables. 19.9% of the population of New York City had COVID-19 antibodies. With a population of 8,398,748 people in NYC [source], this percentage would indicate that 1,671,351 people had been infected with SARS-CoV-2 and had recovered as of May 1 in New York City. The number of confirmed cases reported as of May 1 by New York City was 166,883 [source], more than 10 times less.

- As of May 1, New York City reported 13,156 confirmed deaths and 5,126 probable deaths (deaths with COVID-19 on the death certificate but no laboratory test performed), for a total of 18,282 deaths [source]. The CDC on May 11 released its "Preliminary Estimate of Excess Mortality During the COVID-19 Outbreak — New York City, March 11–May 2, 2020" [source] in which it calculated an estimate of actual COVID-19 deaths in NYC by analyzing the "excess deaths" (defined as "the number of deaths above expected seasonal baseline levels, regardless of the reported cause of death") and found that, in addition to the confirmed and probable deaths reported by the city, there were an estimated 5,293 more deaths to be attributed. After adjusting for the previous day (May 1), we get 5,148 additional deaths, for a total of actual deaths of 13,156 confirmed + 5,126 probable + 5,148 additional excess deaths calculated by CDC = 23,430 actual COVID-19 deaths as of May 1, 2020 in New York City.

- Actual Cases with an outcome as of May 1 = estimated actual recovered (1,671,351) + estimated actual deaths (23,430) = 1,694,781

Infection Fatality Rate (IFR) = Deaths / Cases = 23,430 / 1,694,781 = 1.4% (1.4% of people infected with SARS-CoV-2 have a fatal outcome, while 98.6% recover).

- Out of 15,230 confirmed deaths in New York City up to May 12, only 690 (4.5%) occurred in patients under the age of 65 who did not have an underlying medical condition (or for which it is unknown whether they had or did not have an underlying condition)

- So far there has been 1 death every 1,166 people under 65 years old (compared to 1 death every 358 people in the general population). And 89% of the times, the person who died had one or more underlying medical conditions.

Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Only in Knoxville and Gainseville.....just like their owners.....

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good info, thanks and also for helping us get back on topic of talking about Covid19.

• flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What hi main advisor Fauci told him. Nothing to worry about people should take cruises etc. My point is everyone wants to blame the President like it was all his idea. It was a collective group in the government including both sides. My point also was this virus was around during the big impeachment fiasco which is what everyone was focused on. Hindsight is great but maybe without the impeachment crap things by February would have been different.

This discussion has been closed.