Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Bad Look for Dabo

Comments

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2020

I'm not sure I follow your logic. White men aren't the only ones who consider that term disrespectful and inappropriate @YaleDawg. Are you saying that word is OK for black coaches and players to use on other people?

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Any way you analyze this it's just bad. Dabo keeps trying to talk himself out of the situation without realizing he's digging a deeper hole.

• PhineasGagePhineasGage Posts: 589 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"@Teddy I agree with most of that, but the key point for me is that the coach was trying to teach the player that the use of that word is unacceptable"

Interesting teaching methodology. Trying to teach someone that a word is not acceptable by using that very word.

I'm saying white people don't get to have an opinion on who gets to use it or if it's appropriate. Black people aren't a monolith and there is a debate about the N-word especially between the younger and older generations, but that debate shouldn't have input from white people.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From the article linked above:

"I would fire a coach immediately if he called a player an N-word. No questions asked," Swinney said Monday. "That did not happen. Absolutely did not happen. It has not happened. Coach Pearman was correcting D.J., and another player was talking to D.J., or D.J. was yelling at the player, and D.J. said something he probably shouldn't have said. He said, 'I blocked the wrong f---ing N-word,' and Coach Pearman thought he was saying it to him, and he's mad, and he reacted, and in correcting him, he repeated the phrase.

"And [Pearman] said, 'We don't say we blocked the wrong f---ing N-word.' And he repeated it. He shouldn't have done that. There's no excuse for even saying that. But there is a big difference. He did not call someone an N-word."

How is what Dabo said any different?

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What are you saying coaches should actually do then, @YaleDawg ? Are you saying it is fine for black coaches and players to use the term in any way they want to? Do you not see a problem with having different rules for players based on their skin color?

IMHO, it is A-OK to tell all players (red, yellow, white and black) that the use of this word is inappropriate. What they do with their own lives is up to them, but the coaches make the rules on the team. And remember, the point behind rules is to help and protect the players, not to inhibit them. This rule enhances a safe environment for all players imo--a no-brainer.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PhineasGage I agree, coach shouldn't have used it all (teaching moment or not). I was just trying to come up with a better excuse Dabo could've used, instead of the half-@$$ excuse he came up with. He's playing semantics, as he doesn't want this issue to go any further with a good friend, coach and most importantly good recruiter.

edited June 2020

What I'm saying isn't a difficult concept to grasp. White people or any non-black group don't get to tell black people if they can use that word or not. Black people have reclaimed that word which historically was used to degrade them and have started using it between themselves in a more endearing manner to weaken its power. Why should a white coach get to decide if that word is inappropriate when it's used between black teammates? Seriously, why do you care so much about black people using it?

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There's a difference between the two n words. The er and the a. Either way no white person should say it and they don't have the right to tell us how we say it or use it. Dabo is using his fake Christian faith to hind behind. He's a true asshole and it shows. If he wasn't winning nattys he'd have been gotten called out on it.

• RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ya'll chill. there isnt really a debate here, seems like some are just looking for something to argue about. we can all agree the coach shouldn't have said it, regardless of his intentions. end of story. If it made the player/s uncomfortable then it was wrong. clearly the context of the use of the word was not well received by the players....

Dabo needs to address this better....Deshaun watson coming out saying he didnt feel comfortable there isn't helping this at all.

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let’s get off the N-word topic before this thread meets the same fate as the 50 N-word threads before it.

Does everyone think Dabo’s response was sufficient? Was it disingenuous? Thoughts?

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RedDawg Then Watson should’ve come to UGA to be Bobo’s/Richt’s TE, much safer. 😂

• bayou_dawgbayou_dawg Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

To be fair, they are referring to the honors college being named after John C. Calhoun, who was a staunch racist and **** owner, and not a coach

• PhineasGagePhineasGage Posts: 589 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just to clarify, I wasn't responding to you. I accidentally @ed you when I cut/pasted the other guy's quote because quote post feature is jacked up.

• dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm saying white people don't get to have an opinion on who gets to use it or if it's appropriate. Black people aren't a monolith and there is a debate about the N-word especially between the younger and older generations, but that debate shouldn't have input from white people.

WOW. I'm telling you that I get to have an opinion regardless of my skin color. What an offensive, indefensible, divisive, ridiculously inane statement. Race is a social construct, unscientific, and wholly without merit in consideration of individuals or groups. As a dermatologist I am aware of differing susceptibilities to sunburning, but I have diagnosed and removed melanomas, basal cell carcinomas, and squamous cell carcinomas from all skin types. I sunburn fairly easily, my children having African heritage do not, so by your dictum, I am not allowed to voice my opinion? Next Monday is our 30th wedding anniversary and I wouldn't swap her for any paler skinned woman in the world (nor any darker skinned).

Congratulations on the 30th anniversary. That's an impressive milestone. I'm fully aware race has no scientific basis. Only shows how much melanin someone has and that's it. Sure, anyone can have an opinion about anything, so I'll be more precise. Why do you think your opinion on this matters as much as the opinions of people in the black community? How is letting the black community decide how that word is used in society divisive and offensive?

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Joel Ostarine has fully embraced his "lil ol'" stance on everything and it's coming back to bite him.

It's okay though, he's going to quit when players can profit off their likeness... 'MEMBER?!?!?!!

• dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Straw man fallacy, and you probably know it. There is so much wrong in your reply that it's difficult to even point to it all. But I'll start with I never wrote nor said what you wrote. I wrote that telling someone s/he isn't allowed to have an opinion based upon his/her skin color is offensive, indefensible, divisive, and inane. Then you backed off of that position, but tried to reframe my comment, ergo: straw man fallacy. Next you raise a fantasy of "black community" which is a fantasy because it is merely a concept, as it doesn't exist in fact. But I will answer your query: a thoughtful, intelligent person, whose life works demonstrates love and service for all can offer opinion that is worthy of as much consideration as anyone's.

Any experience in forensics? Logical fallacies?