Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Bad Look for Dabo

Comments

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Your straw man argument and accusation of backpedaling is arguing over semantics. Functionally, there is no difference between not having an opinion and having an opinion and never voicing it. Additionally, this entire conversation has been about the white Clemson coach telling black players they can't even use the N-word between each other. That established this was about white people voicing their opinions on the N-word to black people and expecting that to have merit. It's not a purely philosophical discussion on whether it's ok for white people to merely have thoughts about the N-word which is absurd and doesn't need to be addressed. You've either misconstrued my position to maintain a moral high ground while voicing a difficult to defend position or you were mistaken on the topic. The Black community as a fantasy is odd. There is "The Black Community" which is regarded as shared experiences among Blacks living in America. There are also several black communities in America as in a high concentration of Black people living in one area due in part to decades of policies meant to disadvantage them. In a vacuum, telling someone they can't have an opinion based on skin color does sound offensive. However, we are discussing a word that for hundreds of years was used by white people to dehumanize Black people. It was spewed with as much hate that can be mustered by lynch mobs before they killed innocent Black people. It's likely the last thing Arbery heard before he died on the street for the crime of jogging, so no, it's not offensive to say white people can't have an opinion on it.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's keep it moving on the topic of Dabo and his assistant coach. Thanks

• ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,205 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Skip's opinion on the matter and I'm sure we all know how opinionated he can be:

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t think he’s wrong in this case. Dabo looks unaware at best here.

He can plead ignorance, but I question how many kids, and more importantly their parents are buying his act today.

Doesnt want kids paid, doesn’t think there’s a race issue, situationally unaware/tone deaf, while still playing a victim...not a good look from someone who’s been making all the right moves last 5-6 years.

• dgdawgdgdawg Posts: 242 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm honestly not sure he can play the unaware or ignorance card. There are so many African Americans he works with on a daily basis that it would be impossible for them to at least not have a deep discussion.

I can also see how this would effect the recruiting trail moving forward (players and parents). My question would be when does it pop up though. This cycle? Next cycle? Should be interesting to watch.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2020

He can’t claim the unaware/ignorant card, but there’s a difference between him being a buffoon publicly and the culture around his program. The issue with the coach seems poorly handled, at best, but it’s different from what we’re hearing/seeing out of Iowa and Utah.

These families are capable of discerning whether Dabo has a real issue on matters of race or whether he just sounds like an idiot when addressing those issues publicly.

• dgdawgdgdawg Posts: 242 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I feel like when they said the situation was 'handled internally', my first question was is it just between the player and coach and that's it? Or was it brought up in front of the entire team and addressed like it should always be. The reactions to the initial statement leads me to believe that the team as a whole never actually had closure on the situation. Seems like some players still had questions or needed to at least be heard at least. That would be an issue if he was recruiting me or my family members.

When I saw the 'football matters' shirt I literally laughed out loud and not in a good way. There wasn't a single person in his circle or that was involved with the PR for CU that said 'Hey! Might not be the best time' or something! That was a failure on multiple levels.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No worries Kasey. I knew you weren't targeting me, and I know everyone has lots of opinions on this matter. I don't claim to be right. Just felt like what I had to say was worth saying.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dabo is Dabo. He's a cheerleader, and most people who don't wear orange glasses don't care for him. He's the coach at Clemson, so I can't like him.

But, he's not Urban - who gives me the impression he traded his soul for his rings.

And he's not Bobby Petrino, who traded those rings to Urban and harvested his soul for eternity...

• ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,205 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2020

Gundy is not going to be outdone when it comes to **** T-shirts

Edit: has Chuba graduated? He could easily leave if that's the case.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

wasn't expecting someone to outdo Joel Ostarine, but here we are

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, but if you were going to create a short list, Gundy’s on it for sure.