Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in 2.0

Comments

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

@Bankwalker >>I wonder what the untold story is on this?<<

I think the untold story is that they have to figure out a way to get the medicine in them ASAP after infection. Most of the negative studies are looking at the combo of drugs observationally after folks have checked into the hospital and after the cascade of negative factors has kicked in full force. I don't think it helps at that point. But, this really is a question for the experts. Certainly, developing a fast and accurate test would help. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Yale hangs the epidemiologist at sunrise for defending HCQ. If they don't do it, it will likely be done in effigy by others.

• Options
    edited July 2020

You've got it, Den. It's a link at the bottom of the FLDOH page that leads you to the dashboard. See the serology POC on the antibody test line.

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/#latest-stats

Here it is, though, directly.

Here is another great one for real time hospital bed data. You can check available beds and available ICU beds (via the buttons at the top of the page) and it is updated several times a day. Invaluable for checking your own hospitals and county and to note the stress on hospitals. Every hard hit state should have this available. Where you do get the daily hospital adds and 7 day avg.?

https://bi.ahca.myflorida.com/t/ABICC/views/Public/COVIDHospitalizationsCounty?%3AshowAppBanner&%3AisGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y&%3Aembed=y

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

HCQ has been repeatedly shown to not work. This doctor sums it up pretty well.

The vit d "study" you posted was also bad.

• Options

Okay thanks. That's what I thought it may be. Just wanted to check that it wasn't a special study. The problem with antibody testing, aside from false positives, is that they cost in excess of $100 and are not covered by insurance. For this reason they are anything but "Random". There is likely a bias towards those that had symptoms and are looking to check if it was the virus and/or those who tested positive and want to check if they have "protection". The YTD numbers for Dade are

The combination of factors outlined above makes it unremarkable that there was 107k positive tests for Covid and 5,460 of over 72k positive for antibodies.

• Options

Den, my point wasn't that they were random, but the key takeaway is that antibody positives have trended up very sharply of late all over FL and especially in MD. You can see that the overall test rate is about 8% positive. Last week was about 18% positive. One week doesn't seal the deal, but it suggests the disease has spread through a good bit of the population. If the same ratio that the Swedish scientists saw holds up, it might mean we are close to the HIT. Admittedly, a lot of conjecture based on antibody tests despite the fact that postitives have risen over 100% recently.

• Options
    edited July 2020

I understand that you are 100% convinced that vitamin D isn't a factor and I understand why. I'm fine with that. However, can we agree that all three of these studies (thousands of patients across Asia and Israel) found that adequate D levels and above (as defined by the AACE and Endocrine Society) experienced dramatically more mild cases. Deficient and insufficient levels of D were strongly associated with bad outcomes. You think it was coincidental and because healthier people have higher levels. I believe you used the analogy of it being like ice cream consumption and crime. I disagree because eating an ice cream cone every day has never been shown to affect the immune system or increase criminal activity to my knowledge. Vitamin D has been shown to dramatically reduce viruses causing RTIs in numerous studies. (We are fishing in the right hole.) We can also observe the deadliness of this disease in Europe and N. America in winter, and we can note that it has become much, much less deadly during summer. I would be happy to share numbers. Conversely, the virus was very mild at high latitudes in the southern hemisphere last March, while it has become utterly deadly of late as they have moved to winter. S. Africa is rumored to have tens of thousands of recent deaths that are unaccounted for and the virus is described as "spreading like wildfire." They barely had any deaths until fairly recently.

https://time.com/5870723/south-africa-coronavirus-death-rate/

My point all along was to encourage people to talk to their doctor to make sure they had an adequate level of D. Virtually nothing to lose and many doctors believe that there are potential health benefits to gain, and if you turn out to be wrong, perhaps your life. Obviously, some don't think it matters as you have linked. Nothing wrong with presenting opposing views.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You are the king of correlation and you run to vitamin D as the answer instead of critically evaluating the situation. Vitamin D is not going to cure COVID-19. This is the same song and dance that was done for cancer and heart disease as well as all of the other things that Vitamin D deficiency is associated with. It is more likely to be a general marker for health than the cause of disease. There is some evidence it could marginally help with respiratory tract infections like colds and flu (not SARS-COV-2) in people who are really deficient in vitamin D, but a meta analysis of that data showed significant heterogeneity among those studies and bias and cautioned against strong interpretations of the data.

I'm not saying vitamin D is pointless and its important to have healthy levels. However, its not going to be a panacea and its not going to save people from COVID-19.

• Options
    edited July 2020

Texas death count - waiting for Florida and Georgia to follow suit. Not sure the Texas numbers are validated but seem more reasonable than previously reported.

Revised total today is 462 and counting!

BTW - I have similar issues with California

• Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tex, I get that you're frustrated. We all are. The whole world is. But not one school district. Not one state is paying attention to what is posted on this forum. Nor is the NBA, MLB, NFL, CFB, etc.

• Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just as an aside. I remember when "playing doctor" had a much more positive meaning. 😎

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

True enough.....and from all the DVs I'm getting....a lot of other people have stopped following this thread as well......

Oh well.....I guess the "qualified experts" can have it

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“The doctor I choose to believe is more right than the doctor you choose to believe...”

• Options
    edited July 2020

On Florida FYI - The deaths reported for the last 7 days total 859.

The deaths by date show (remember 1 day lag)

7/20 - 93

7/21 - 82

7/22 - 68

7/23 - 54

7/24 - 22

7/25 -18

7/26 - 7

Total for the 7 days - 344.

Based on seeing the prior days increasing on a daily basis the assumption is that 515 of the deaths this past week relate to prior weeks. Does that mean that the admin delays accounted for the death count reported 7/20 (->7/19) were low by 515. How many deaths are we behind today. Maybe my projection is closer than the actual. That would explain in effect an additional 4+ day lag between Case and Reported (not actual) death!

BTW - This doesn't include the allegation that they only include confirmed deaths from Covid whereas they should include presumed Covid deaths also. With a NEW posivtivity rate close to 20% this could be significant.

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,177 mod

Well I work around a few Doctors, PA's and CFNP's and they are worried....

• Options

But the answer according to some is to completely isolate anyone over 65 and/or that live with someone in that range and/or have preexisting conditions for months if not years. Wont that lead to millions more committing suicide versus shutting down for 4 weeks with financial protection.

This discussion has been closed.