Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Otis Reese statement.

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod
    edited September 2020

deleted posts: when warranted

buries threads: when warranted

I change no narratives despite what you want to believe. just because I happen to disagree with you on social issues while also reinforcing the rules (to the best of my ability...i'm admittedly imperfect on this) on these live wire types of threads.

point of reference, I haven't touched any of the posts on these now 11 pages. I'm not a perfect mod, as i've stated, and @pgjackson loves to tweak me out here in public because he feels i've unfairly tinkered with his posts in the past. i'm just defending myself in the nicest way possible.

just like i'm doing here.

thanks for your continued participation.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm just saying, those with more power receive more judgement. You are the QB of our message board. I'm the water boy.

• Options

wrong again. Jeff Sentell is the HC. I'm like the TE coach with a lot of personality he lets speak to the media because he trusts me. Every now and again I gotta give some of you guys up/downs and then you whine about it to my face.

please OT this post

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure why you felt the need, as forum leadership and a guy who exercises a great deal of control over what gets posted on this site, to come on this thread on page 10 to simply express your dislike of the topic. Funny meme, sure, but I fully expected the thread to be closed after it was posted. I don't enjoy tweaking you, I dislike needless censorship.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You never replied to my previous comment debunking your "concept" that these should be trades. Please focus on better defending your concept when it's shot down. Oh, and the reason I'm focusing on the word trade, as that's exactly what you're describing. Having a school compensate another school because a player transferred, that's literally a trade. My previous response below.

Transfers are not a trade though, so shouldn't be treated like one. The "basic trade" you mentioned has already taken place prior to the transfer, Reese agreed to play for UGA in trade for an education and football training, in which both parties fulfilled their obligation. So, that deal is already done and Reese was not "under contract" past the 2019 season. Transfers are more like free agency, as the players are 99% of the time on one-year scholarships.

I'm fine with players transferring, they should just know by now that if you transfer within the SEC you have to sit a year. It's that simple. It's a competitive advantage to have someone who knows their former team's playbook in and out, and also knows players' strengths and weaknesses on their former team more than your average scout/film guy would. So, the tradeoff for taking this info to your new team is to sit out a year. If they want to play right away they can pick from about 115 other non-SEC FBS schools.

• Options

my "great deal" of exercised control is over what goes against forum guidelines. The thread wasn't closed immediately because it involved a former Georgia player regarding Georgia football. While I disagreed with many posts in this thread, they were mostly civil without being overtly racist.

why does anyone post anything on message boards? if people didn't like my funny gif or my opinion on the thread, they could've DV'd it or OT'd it. So far only one person DV'd it, so it seems like it was a well-received post.

and i'll say again, I don't needlessly censor anyone I disagree with. if a post does not meet the forum guidelines I do my best in making sure those are moderated properly.

thanks for your continued perseverance in modding the mods. we greatly appreciate it.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Really? Fla. is on another level with their court system and how messed up / money hungry they are. They’re the absolute worst in this country. I don’t think you’ll win any battles here trying to compare them to GA, especially when it’s something you “heard.” There’s also a reason why it’s called ‘municipal’ court. Get a speeding ticket? If the cop checks “appear” you pay the fine in court on your set date in that city. Don’t all courthouses have cash registers???

• Options
    roydawgroydawg Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m a native Georgian with bar licenses in both states, and I prosecuted in both states, so I feel fairly qualified to speak on the differences in their legal systems.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Problem with this article is they say that Otis said he was called the a racial slur by another student athlete. I don't see where he said that. He says a friend was. This was probably Justin Fields. This article sounds like it happened again.

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Teddy, for me, I'm in the white boarding stage where I think most ideas should be considered - even if just for fun by us dawgfans. I find that encouraging ideas generally results in better ideas if we wait to dismiss them. I think the best suggestion I've heard is the idea of sitting out any game against your former team. That was brilliant. I think there are there are other good ideas, both mentioned and not yet mentioned, that could be part of a fair and good solution. I think some sort of market system makes sense. There are lots of ways a transfer system could be abused by players and/or universities and a market system could guard against some of this abuse. I also think a market system could reward those community colleges who do the best job of developing talent and create another incentive for them to actually develop and not just play the talent they get. And to P5 teams, it would be well worth it to pay a community college $50K for a well-developed player. None of these ideas are pressure tested yet, but I would want to bake any idea suggested before taking it off our dawgnation whiteboard.

• Options
    allywallyw Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

Dude you're engaging in a non-sequitur and need to understand the context in which I used "trade" and "free agency". It was specifically used in response to overcoming potential perceptions issues related to compensation to schools. There's nothing to debunk, because the word TRADE does not have to enter the picture. It's simply compensation from one school to another to cover costs of a TRANSFER.

As CaliforniaDawg suggests... this is a whiteboard idea. It requires conceptualization and maturation, not semantics or obsessing over a word.

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This reminds me of the time when I was developing a global marketing piece for a Gaming company in California. This English chap wanted to debate every noun, adjective and verb. After endless hours of tedium my manager sent an email to this fellow and said "Enough, the piece is going out as originally written". I just smiled.

• Options
  • Options

I did consider his idea, then deemed it not to be that great of an idea (IMO of course). Props to him for voicing his opinion, I'll then voice my opinion if that's ok.