Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Now that NIL has consumed the collegiate level…

Flydawg87Flydawg87 Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Would it not make sense to allocate the scholarships which are used for students who are in financial need be allocated to those who actually need it? If QB Joe Jock has a major $$ endorsement, he obviously doesn’t need the scholarship. Has this been addressed I wonder? Each institution like UGA could help out those who really need it and not “burn” a free ride by giving it to someone who doesn’t need it. Now, I’m sure that if Joe Jock doesn’t want to pay, he’ll go elsewhere else to get a free ride, but at what point do you draw the line? I also think collegiate baseball (like UGA) needs more full rides….hmmmm……just spitballing here…

Tagged:

Comments

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Find me the school that will do this first. It won't happen. Essentially it would have to be a charity donation from the player themselves. And that's not likely.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

This sounds like an anti-capitalist position and am not for it at all.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What @RxDawg said. Plus attending a major university is expensive (especially over 3-4 years), no way a kid wants to pay that out of pocket if he doesn't have to. Also, for a big time NIL guy, he cannot take an official visit to the school he chooses or have in-home visits from coaching staff (when those return after Covid) in order to be a "walk on." They would be considered walk ons at this point, so different recruiting rules. A lot of these guys would probably like an official visit or in-home visits from prospective schools, thus would be required to take a scholarship.

It still could happen for some guys, but would be very uncommon if I had to guess.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well we'll just have to agree to disagr.... wait, we agree!

• ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,205 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s crazy talk!

How else will older generations lord over younger generations with their wealth, if they didn’t overcharge them for an education that may or may not get a job in the future?

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's an interesting thought exercise. If I'm making 7 figures on a NIL deal, that $20,000+ a year for tuition, room and board are nothing. A drop in the bucket. I can see an eventuality of coaches getting around the 85 scholarships rule by simply pulling scholarships from NIL recipients and giving them to others. We HAVE had starters who were not on scholarship before (Hot Rod for example). There is nothing saying starters must be on scholarship. Scholarships are designed to be an incentive. Why would a superstar with a million dollar NIL deal care if he's on scholarship or not? He just wants to play ball and get a shot at the NFL. Pretty interesting way to have 85 scholarship athletes plus 5-10 superstar non-scholarship players. We already have that right now (85 scholarship players plus a certain number of non-scholarship players) , but the non-scholarship players typically aren't starters. I am not aware of any NCAA regulations on the number of athletes who are allowed to be on the roster. If there is a loophole, coaches will exploit it.

This will never happen. What’s the incentive for a player to do this?

The incentive is to improve the team. Team spirit. You don't think a savvy coach could convince a millionaire kid to give up his scholarship so that the team could add an additional player? I can't believe anyone would say something "will never happen" right now. A year or two ago people were saying the NIL would never happen. If you have the money and a starting position locked up, a scholarship is just for bragging rights. You better believe that this is possibility.

I think most kids, not all but most, is to get to the league. The kinds of kids who will command that type of NIL deal will only care about going to the league.

I think it’s very rare the kid who cares most about winning championships he would forgo his scholarship (which amounts to quite a bit of money) just so another player can be added.

Also, how would the counter numbers work? Would this kid still count toward the 85? Does the school get his initial counter back? No one knows. Seems like a lot of hullabaloo for what’s probably a one year thing from guys who want to get to the league first over winning things in college.

• Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah , interesting thought. NIL is so new this is one of the aspects regarding it I haven’t really thought much about. Coaches will absolutely take advantage of anything that gives their team a competitive edge for sure. I’m sure there are potential pitfalls all over the way NIL legislation is in application, and perhaps this is one.

Forgive my ignorance, but am I correct in thinking that all of this NIL business was the decision of individual states? And if so, or it’s something to that effect, then the NCAA has to get more involved right? Having schools and conferences run amuck to gain advantages will eventually lead to chaos I would think.

If the aforementioned situation could happen, what can be done about it? Where does the NCAA fit in? Is NIL going to change the whole landscape of college ball? I’m all for players getting compensated, personally I think it’s great, and I hope there is a way for its application to not change the landscape of the sport I love.

My opinion on the original topic of discussion is this. These athletes are getting these deals because of their talent and hard work. I don’t agree with the idea to withhold their scholarship just so you can use that money for another person. Just because an athlete signs a million dollar contract doesn’t mean he didn’t earn his scholarship. Sorry, but as someone mentioned before, it seems a bit anti capitalist.

Who gave up their scholarship to get Gilbert? Someone did. Someone either gave it up or we pulled an offer from someone. We were already at 85, but as soon as Gilbert showed interest we sure found a spot in a hurry. Imagine that scenario where our hot-shot QB has a gazillion dollar NIL deal and some hot-shot receiver from another school shows interest in transferring...but alas...we are full with 85 scholarship athletes. Instead of pulling some backup's scholarship, you discretely ask your QB if he would be willing to transition to non-scholarship so the team can get the new receiver without having to sacrifice an important backup player. That might just be the missing piece to a championship season and boost the QBs stats and get him one step closer to a first round pick. Oh, yes, I can see coaches using this tactic. Why wouldn't they? It's no different than asking NFL players to take a pay cut to keep the roster under the cap. Brady, Breese, and Roethlisburger did it.

The solution is a roster cap like the NFL. I've always wondered why college teams can have 85 scholarship players plus essentially any number of non-scholarship players on the roster, but the NFL caps it's roster at 53.

while you may be able to see it, I would be willing to bet money it’ll never happen.

these kids aren’t pros, aren’t compensated like pros, and won’t sacrifice like a pro unless it benefits them financially.

not sure what arik Gilbert getting a scholarship has to do with any of this. Players transfer out, players transfer in.

I wonder how many of those out-bound players were asked to leave to make room for in-bound transfers. What if you could hold on to those guys, stay within the 85 limit AND get bring in elite transfers? With NIL, the portal, HS kids skipping their senior year...we are entering into a new era of college football. Within 5 years it is going to look very different than what we are used to. Nothing appears to be off the table.

• Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, who knows? It not just changing, it’s changing very rapidly. I just hope my favorite pastime doesn’t morph into something unrecognizable in a few years.

I don’t see kids and their families giving up scholarships to play for a certain team. Especially not the level of athletes that are raking in big NIL $. Seems it would be insulting to ask a high profile recruit to not take the scholarship. Plus, it’s a lot of $. Yes, playing on a team that gets exposure is great for a quality athlete and boosts their draft stock, but these big money NIL guys are more often than not be in good position regarding the draft.

Well if they want to play I’m sure they see the writing on the wall and transfer. I also am sure coaches have heart to hearts with some about playing opportunities. But I doubt any at Georgia are forced out.

You are right in that things are changing in college football. But I doubt any kid is going to willingly give up a scholarship merely to accommodate another player in the hopes of winning something when the primary goal for those types is getting to the league.

• DawgGirl96DawgGirl96 Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree. Think it's more likely that we see more of what happened at BYU. Maybe not to extent of all non scholarship kids on the roster but some important last minute roster additions or transfers get their tuition etc etc paid by NIL for the first year so they can join the roster covered financially even though the team is already at the 85 scholarship limit.

Haven't seen any reporting on it but curious if this is how To'o To'o was added to an already overflowing AL roster this year.