Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Now that NIL has consumed the collegiate level…

Comments

• Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ve read that he is a scholarship player, otherwise he would have to be classified as a walk on transfer I guess.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,648 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. A slight variation of what I was getting at. And what's the difference between a NIL deal and some wealthy booster straight up handing a kid a bag of money or giving his parents a house or just paying his tuition, room and board?

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Earning a scholarship is also a point of pride for players. It's usually the first significant achievement in life that isn't handed to them. There are plenty of players that come from wealthy families that don't need a scholarship, but they earned it so they want it. Again, easiest solution is to make it so qualified students aren't competing against each other as well as student-athletes for aid.

I promise you, an elite player with a million dollar a year NIL deal will not care about his scholarship status.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

how much money do you think these kids are actually gonna make haha?

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

“JT Daniels new NIL deal has the potential to make over seven figures.”

right under the headline (italics mine)

• ziggyholidayziggyholiday Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I get where pgjackson is coming from, but I think it's doubtful that a good number of players throughout CFB will be making anywhere close enough in NIL, that would make the cost of 3-4 years of college at a major university seem like chump change.

Daniels is the QB for GA. It’s not surprising that he can make 7 figures on an NIL deal. Sure there are other high profile players across the Nation that will do the same - hiesman candidates, dominate defenders, and many skill positions players that are really fun to watch. Daniels has stated that he is sharing half with his teammates, he probably wouldn’t consider this if most of them had even moderate deals.

We will see over the next few years though. Hopefully the college game doesn’t morph into something unrecognizable.

So why would it be such a big leap to think that a guy like him might be willing to sacrifice his scholarship to give to someone else...especially if it helps the team bring in a stud player? Moving forward pretty much every 5-star athlete will expect some sort of NIL deal. Every starting QB, WR, RB and key player on top teams will also expect deals. I don't know how many will reach 7 figures, but it will likely be many.

A guy like Daniels certainly would give up his scholarship to help a less fortunate teammate, Im just not sure everyone would. Sure, if a five star athlete had to chose big NIL money or a scholarship the choice would definitely be NIL money. NIL will have big impacts on recruiting and it’s hard to see where that leads, I just don’t think many guys are gonna give away or give up money or a scholarship they earned.

edited August 2021

We are in the infancy of this NIL thing. My point is, in the future I can see teams using this to get around the 85 scholarship limit. Wouldn't you if it was legal by NCAA regulations? Every team has a compliance staff who's job it is to figure out the mountain of rules and advise the coaching staff on what they can and can't do. If a team can squeeze out an extra scholarship or two by asking million dollar NIL players (or really any scholarship player) to give up theirs, you better believe they will do that.

I can see the pitch right now...: "listen Joe QB, Sammy Allstar is in the portal and wants to transfer in but we are full at 85 scholarships. You are doing really well with your Eddie's Hot Dogs NIL deal so we would like to take you off of scholarship so we can give it to him. Don't worry, we talked to the local car dealership and they have agreed to offer you an additional NIL deal that will cover all of your expenses so you don't have to pay out of pocket. Sound good?"

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

PG, I agree there are a thousand ways to abuse it, but if somebody is going to illegally pay a player, is it easier to investigate now, or before the NIL ruling? You get the point...cheaters are gonna cheat anyway. NIL contracts and deposits should have a pretty good trail for investigators to follow. Also, if you look at the ruling, it was unanimous and the final point was that these young men have the right to compete in the marketplace--this is America! All competitive businesses have issues like this that they have to deal with and it is just one of the costs of doing business here. The sea has changed and it's time to adjust our views.

"Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different. The NCAA is not above the law."

I can see your point. No telling what changes NIL leads to. But yes, every good coach and staff will take advantage of any legal way to gain any advantage they can. Hopefully steps are taken to keep things from changing too much or at least too rapidly. I have no idea what those steps could be or who could implement them. I guess we have to depend on the NCAA to regulate things, which might not bode well. I could be wrong, but it has appeared recently that the NCAA isn’t quite as all powerful as it once was. My point is that people will not just give up money or their scholarship so quickly, but very smart people might get paid a lot of $ to rationalize and convince these kids to do that very thing. Who knows, I’m glad these guys can profit from NIL, they deserve to considering the revenue they help generate, but sometimes it feels like we have opened Pandora’s box!!! The college game is changing. Who knows what it looks like in two years?

There was nothing illegal in my example. If a local car dealership wants to give a player $30,000 a year to cover his reassignment of scholarship, so what? That's my point. In a totally free market system, it's nobody's business how a company spends its money. There don't seem to be any rules on these NIL deals, so what is preventing local boosters from throwing money at these kids under the guise of "NIL" to keep them happy and on the team? It was illegal under the old system, but now the old bag-man is just part of the system.

"Come to XYZ school, go to the local Mercedes dealership, sign some photos, get your free car and $50,000 per year contract. Our team accountants will take care of the tax implications. That's just for starters. Gatoraid is interested in a 7-figure contract also, so we may ask you to give up your scholarship, but don't worry, the car dealership will take care of your school expenses."

Seriously, how is this not going to happen?