Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What Sports Records Will Likely Never Be Broken In Our Lifetimes

donmdonm Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's assume our average age is 30 and that we will live, on average to 90. What records might stand during that period?

Baseball: 56 consecutive game hitting streak? Total career wins for a pitcher? Most wins in a season?

College FB? Consecutive game win streak?

College Basketball? Consecutive game win streak? UCLA men? U Conn women?

Pro Basketball? Most wins in a season?

Other sports you may follow?

«134

Comments

  • CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    I’d have to say some of these that Tom Brady is putting up in regards to playoffs and conference championships.

  • kwgalpinkwgalpin Posts: 23 ✭ Freshman

    most of wilt chamberlains will never be broken. Mostly due to the fact that he was a man playing amongst garbage in those days. Many regular pickup players at your local Y could school those dudes in his day.

  • KaseyKasey Posts: 7,975 mod

    8 conference championships in a row by the Patriots

  • destindawg1destindawg1 Posts: 17 ✭✭ Sophomore

    18 Major Championships .

  • KaseyKasey Posts: 7,975 mod

    Celtics nba titles with Russell. What did they have like 10 out of 11?

  • TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Baseball - pitcher Wins, stolen bases,
    Hockey - Most of Gretzky's records
    Rick Pitino - sleaziness

  • BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @Big_Prune said:
    Ripken's consecutive games played record.

    Good one. He and Murphy were my two favorite players growing up.

  • AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    MLB is full of them, given the way the game has evolved.

    Cy Young's 511 career wins (and 749 complete games as noted above), along with Hoss Radbourn's 59 wins in a season. (I'm not sure anyone will win even 30 games again- Denny McLain was the last to do it and that was 50 years ago.)

    For hitting, it's fewest strikeouts in a season (minimum 150 games played). Joe Sewell had 4 and did it twice, 1925 and 1929. He finished his career with 114 in 8333 plate appearances. For contrast, Giancarlo Stanton had 211... last season.

    When I played baseball, striking out at the plate was considered unacceptable. If you got two strikes on you, you had to, absolutely had to, find a way to put the ball in play. Choke up, crowd the plate, dial in, win the battle. As a coach today, this is the hardest thing to teach, because the kids have role models like Stanton (and Aaron Judge).

  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @donm said:
    Let's assume our average age is 30 and that we will live, on average to 90. What records might stand during that period?

    Baseball: 56 consecutive game hitting streak? Total career wins for a pitcher? Most wins in a season?

    College FB? Consecutive game win streak?

    College Basketball? Consecutive game win streak? UCLA men? U Conn women?

    Pro Basketball? Most wins in a season?

    Other sports you may follow?

    Cy Young's wins total.
    NFL -Jerry Rice's tds and career receiving yards.
    Not a record but we may never see another 300 game winner in MLB. Pitchers throw too hard and too few innings. Starting pitchers need to wake up, they are being abused now.

  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @TNDawg71 said:
    Baseball - pitcher Wins, stolen bases,
    Hockey - Most of Gretzky's records
    Rick Pitino - sleaziness

    You could throw a rock at a Baylor coaching reunion and have a good chance of hitting a coach who'd give Pigtino a run in the **** dept.

  • corai3corai3 Posts: 447 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @WCDawg said:

    @donm said:
    Let's assume our average age is 30 and that we will live, on average to 90. What records might stand during that period?

    Baseball: 56 consecutive game hitting streak? Total career wins for a pitcher? Most wins in a season?

    College FB? Consecutive game win streak?

    College Basketball? Consecutive game win streak? UCLA men? U Conn women?

    Pro Basketball? Most wins in a season?

    Other sports you may follow?

    Cy Young's wins total.
    NFL -Jerry Rice's tds and career receiving yards.
    Not a record but we may never see another 300 game winner in MLB. Pitchers throw too hard and too few innings. Starting pitchers need to wake up, they are being abused now.

    With as much passing as we see now, I could see Rice's numbers falling easily. He may be out of the top 5 by the time I die(I'm 28)

  • DawgNutDawgNut Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @AnotherDawg said:

    Cy Young's 511 career wins (and 749 complete games as noted above), along with Hoss Radbourn's 59 wins in a season. (I'm not sure anyone will win even 30 games again- Denny McLain was the last to do it and that was 50 years ago.)

    How in the hell did he pitch 749 complete games and only win 511. That stat just seems odd.

    What is the NBA team wins record? Was that the Bulls record that Golden State broke a few years ago? If so I could see that one falling again with these super teams becoming more common.

  • KaseyKasey Posts: 7,975 mod

    @DawgNut said:

    @AnotherDawg said:

    Cy Young's 511 career wins (and 749 complete games as noted above), along with Hoss Radbourn's 59 wins in a season. (I'm not sure anyone will win even 30 games again- Denny McLain was the last to do it and that was 50 years ago.)

    How in the hell did he pitch 749 complete games and only win 511. That stat just seems odd.

    What is the NBA team wins record? Was that the Bulls record that Golden State broke a few years ago? If so I could see that one falling again with these super teams becoming more common.

    Bulls went 72-10 and actually won the title. Warriors were 73-9 and choked.

    Doubtful either of these fall bc no one really has that killer instinct to go after it. Better to save yourself and crush it in the playoffs

  • Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @Big_Prune said:
    Ripken's consecutive games played record.

    Beat me to it.

  • donmdonm Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @AnotherDawg said:
    MLB is full of them, given the way the game has evolved.

    Cy Young's 511 career wins (and 749 complete games as noted above), along with Hoss Radbourn's 59 wins in a season. (I'm not sure anyone will win even 30 games again- Denny McLain was the last to do it and that was 50 years ago.)

    For hitting, it's fewest strikeouts in a season (minimum 150 games played). Joe Sewell had 4 and did it twice, 1925 and 1929. He finished his career with 114 in 8333 plate appearances. For contrast, Giancarlo Stanton had 211... last season.

    When I played baseball, striking out at the plate was considered unacceptable. If you got two strikes on you, you had to, absolutely had to, find a way to put the ball in play. Choke up, crowd the plate, dial in, win the battle. As a coach today, this is the hardest thing to teach, because the kids have role models like Stanton (and Aaron Judge).

    LOL. Stanton surpassed Sewel's mark in one game!!

  • ColumboColumbo Posts: 236 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    Mark Martin's NASCAR Record of 188.354 Average Speed at Talladega in 1997 will never be broken. It is the fastest track on the circuit and there were no cautions that day. Now that there are two automatic cautions with the new format, there is no way the record can be broken. Even if they do away with the current three stages and went back to the old format, the chances of a caution free race at a Super Speedway are very slim.

    Ripken and Cy Young records will also never be broken.

  • VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    MLB — Nolan Ryan’s career strikeouts.

Sign In or Register to comment.