Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Wealthy parents bribe their kids in to elite colleges using athletic teams

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Every freshman in high school should be required to take a full year course on personal financial management. If you can't manage your money, you'll probably struggle.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

If you guys want this kind of stuff it will take an overhaul of the education system and a commitment of several years as well as lots of money. You want kids to have more options to look into tradesmen jobs without affecting advanced math and science? You need more teachers and more supplies. Maybe offer junior apprenticeship courses with local tradesmen throughout the year to expose them to that. More money for learning a trade after high school. Maybe incentivize colleges to offer those types of programs so they can still have the college experience. As it stands there isn't enough money to hire more teachers and expand the curriculum. I agree it needs to happen but will take a concerted offer from voters across the ideological spectrum to make it happen.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I could care less. As long as the money goes to help other students, Im ok. Build a science lab, library, housing, etc.

Also, if long their kids get the boot just like other students if they cant maintain academically, then its justifiable.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

Here is the OP (couldn't quote): "This is some crazy stuff just breaking today, with high profile people, including hollywood types, paying huge bribes for their kids to get in places like Stanford, Yale, Georgetown etc. The women’s soccer coach at Yale and Sailing coach at Stanford have been accused of accepting bribes while using the athletics teams to gain preferred admission status for the applicants even though they never played soccer. Someone else would take the SAT or ACT to get scores above the admission threshold and then the coach would push them thru to guarantee admission. I assume they were still “walk-ons”."

Giving money to get your child into the college of choice is okay with me as long as there is a lot of it. Dam~n the grades, extracurricular activities, SATs/ACTs, essay quality, peer and counselor reviews, etc. As long as it is ....

But the use of an athletic team as a dodge to lower the admission standards, or committing the fraud of faking standardized tests, is not acceptable, and those involved - all knowingly involved - should be prosecuted appropriately. And the athletic teams need to be penalized in an appropriate manner.

The money threshold if established by a school is a barrier to those parents who are well-off, but not THAT well-off. So, the accrediting bodies need to be vigilant and sanction those schools who deviate from the money threshold minimums. So, schools should have a minimum dollar amount, and not deviate from it.

What is accomplished? Well, almost no well qualified students will be blocked due to clever parents who sought an easy path. And the testing organizations will be less likely to be corrupted, and the teams will not be compromised. So, there.

• Options

I keep reading that these actresses are likely to do real time. First off, I seriously doubt any parent will go to prison. Second, I think it would probably be wrong if they were to do more than a month or 2 in a non-pound me in the bum facility.

We saw the world's largest theft in all history in the 2008 financial/Wall St. scams, almost nobody was even charged, the crooks kept the trillions of dollars and paid virtually no price for ruining 100s of thousands of lives and almost ruining this Country.

Lauri Laughlin has probably been a bad mother. She clearly didn't push her daughters enough academically, plus the girls don't seem bright to start with. She has said she worries sick about their futures, I believe her. So she did something to better the little fluff headed gals chances of making something of their own. I believe this sort of thing is extremely unfair to less advantaged kids and those who were in it purely out of greed should do hard time, but the families ? probably not.

• Options

Yale. I think apprentice like programs are a great idea. A small town in Mississippi has been successful in combining tax incentives and marrying local tech schools with industries/companies long before the factories start production. So adding a government program to help cover the cost of preparing people for specific jobs seems like a more direct and proactive way advance more than just the computer scientist and upper management types. We need to own the best work force on the planet in the coming years, plus the bottom line is always going to be the quality of life of our citizens, not how many smart bombs we own.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I lived relatively close to there in MS and it was a remarkably successful program.

• Options
    edited April 2019

Donm, was it Jackson Mississippi ? I don't have a firm memory of exactly where it was. It goes to show how much a few proactive citizens thinking outside the box can make a real difference.

You know who else thinks outside the box..gay men. Don't ban me, I didn't mean it in a negative way.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it was a good bit more rural than that, but heck my memory isn't exactly a steel trap any more either.

• Options
    swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The “entitlement mentality” is actually a socially designed personality trait.

No one was more entitled than the baby boomer generation. The generation that rolled up most if not all of the country's debt just to pass it on to their children. Just so they could live a little better.