Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And who's closing in the pen for you? Luke still is probably the best pitcher in the pen. And yes, that should terrify all of you.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    I find it sad that this whole rebuild based on pitching has born so little fruit in terms of pitching. Hopefully they move gausman in there and some other pitching prospects get bumped up for the pen later in the season. 

Also make a trade trade or two any time now AA
  • Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

Shoot, at this point I'd throw Minter back out there. Could he do any worse? What's the point if all you can throw is fastball/slider and you abandon the fastball one batter into the inning? This is now 6 blown saves in 16 opportunities. I know he's been very good for us this year, but he is not, and has never been more than a 7th or 8th inning setup guy. He hasn't pitched a clean inning in over a month.

It's frustrating that one guy can blow a game for the entire team. That error was frankly inexcusable. I don't dislike the guy, but some pitchers aren't closers for one reason or another. It's the lowest hanging fruit in the orchard and AA needs to address it.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Maybe we don’t do the closer thing and just play matchups that would be cool. 
  • Options
    TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Jackson really would be a great option out of the pen in low-leverage situations. Should not be out there after the 7th inning. Easy for us armchair experts to say, though... there is a huge dearth in quality bullpen arms around the MLB. Three guys I’d love for the Braves to take a look at as we move toward the trade deadline:

Will Smith, SF
    Felipe Vasquez, PIT
    Jordan Hicks, STL
  • Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Will Smith and Vasquez are do able if both teams decide to be sellers. I believe the Giants will be sellers but idk about Pittsburgh 
  • Options
    SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    If Cleveland goes into sell mode, I want Brad Hand.
  • Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most of the top pitching prospects are still very young. Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz all had rocky times when the broke into the league. It's too early to judge Folty and Newcomb. We still have 3 or 4 guys in our minor league system as well.

Even so if we just had an average closer we'd have near the best record in MLB right now.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    We have to do *something* because, last night was a 2 game swing and we should have closed it out. 
  • Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    I’m so glad we didn’t part ways with Austin Riley to land someone. 
    Frank Wren would have pulled the trigger. 
  • Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    The Phillies rolled their 6-7-8 hitters up there and every one of them reached
  • Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A couple of years back it did seem his name was frequently mentioned as trade bait. I call your so glad and raise you a big thankful!!

• Options
    edited June 2019

No doubt in my mind once it was clear we don't have a viable closer on roster good ownership would have gone after Kimbrel aggressively. It was a huge mistake baseball wise not to have done so. To Liberty it was nothing but a line or 2 on their ledgers. If we'd pulled the trigger 2 months back when anybody paying attention knew it was the best option he would have been closing games for at least the past month.

• Options

donm. Riley looks like he'll be a good hitter for a long time. He has excellent natural strength, good balance and a quick smooth swing. He also looks like he knows he belongs at this level, which is no small thing.

• Options
    MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    That’s been that’s been the thing that’s impressed me the most is that nothing seems to phase him
  • Options
    amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, we need a solid closer, but being at the game which was standing room only, so my son and I stood through a VERY disheartening loss for 4 hours. Was still a very entertaining evening.

• Options
    UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Great job Liberty on opening the purse strings to sign Kimbrel.
  • Options
    I think Donaldson is starting to heat up! 

• Options
    I wouldn’t mind seeing Newcomb get a shot at closer when Dallas is ready for the Major. Newcomb has been really good out of the pen since he was move there
This discussion has been closed.