Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    volatilisvolatilis Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree, he's not the ideal closer. Maybe he'll surprise us both.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I looked up his stats and was surprised to see he has 45 strikeouts in 31 innings this year. I was going to post that I would prefer a closer that threw harder and got more strikeouts, until I saw that. Part of the reason that Luke doesn’t get more love from Braves fans might be his performance last year, when he got hit pretty hard. Whatever his role turns out to be, it appears he’s going to be a solid piece of our bullpen.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Joyce stays. He's ;been a reliable LH off the bench. Surely one of those relievers can be optioned out somewhere.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with you, @donm. As good as Joyce has been as a pinch hitter, I think someone would pick him up if he was designated for assignment. Having five outfielders on the roster would be unusual, especially with Camargo and Culbertson being able to play out there also. It’ll be interesting to see what they do.

• Options

The boys mixing it up tonight. Can't believe the 2 ejections.

• Options

Umpiring seems to have gone overboard. Need a chill pill.

• Options
    loxahatcheedawgloxahatcheedawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Gausman has been moved to the 10-day IL for plantar fasciitis and Newcomb is likely to start in his place on Saturday. Newk looked good last night in 4.2 innings of relief. Things are looking up for the Bravos.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Glad to see Camargo on the rise. BA up to .240

I haven't watched that many innings, but that Winkler seems like he struggles in the majority of innings he appears. ERA is over 5. Is he headed back to the minors?

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I feel bad for Camargo, plus I hate waste. I think he's good enough to be a quality regular.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Somebody I've failed to tip the cap to is Brian Snitker. The fossil is 8 months older than me. To achieve your career long goal in your 60s must be quite a relief and satisfying, not that I have first hand experience in that regard.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What in the world is wrong with Folty?

• Options

Gotta love those homers!!

• Options
    UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He hasn’t figured out how to pitch yet. He is still trying to throw it past people. Pitching is more than just throwing.

• Options

I am close to giving up on Folty. I don’t know if he will ever “get it”. His stuff is fine but something is just missing. I hate to say never but I’m close.

• Options

I’m with WC on Johan. I think he could be a solid regular. Just don’t know where to play him. He’s the perfect utility guy.

• Options

Woah, whatttttt? Luke Jackson gave up a home run in the 9th?

• Options

Real question: when teams shift so heavily away from 3rd, why doesn't anybody try to bunt? Is it against the unwritten rules?

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    @CTDawg it’s the whole idea of we are willing to give up the single. Compared to giving up the long ball or an extra base hit. Plus there are some hitters who would get thrown out because that’s a hard bunt to push perfectly.  Reality is very few hitters are truly great hitters in baseball today. Yeah many can hit the ball 450 ft but there something to be said for a guy who uses the whole park when hitting. 
  • Options
    TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've always wondered the same thing. I suppose accurately bunting to a specific spot against MLB pitching is very difficult, and also the pitcher is likely prepared to cover that side. It could theoretically be useful to learn to slash ground balls down the line, but practicing this would likely mess with a hitter's normal swing. I'd be willing to bet that in 10 years we're seeing hitters who have mastered the art of countering a shift in some form. Interesting thought! It'll be fun to watch the game continue to evolve.

• Options
    TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best of luck to Ortiz in his recovery! Here's his solution to the shift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCmusD1zjGo

This discussion has been closed.