Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

Soroka finally had a bad game. 5 earned runs on 10 hits in 5 innings. He just didn't have control over his pitches. His next start will be important, can he shrug this game off. I think he can but you never know with these humans.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank God for the Braves' bats, because they've been bailing out some shaky pitching of late. I'm interested to see how Newcomb pitches in place of Gausman coming up

• Options

CTDawg Soroka and Julio have been great recently, hopefully this game was just a bleep on the way to a great season for Soroka. No doubt we need a couple more starters to come around though.

• Options
    I’m with you there WC. Julio has always been my most favorite, most frustrating player because he has the talent and the pitches to be great. He just never seemed to get there.
  • Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

Freddie and Markakis can do it. When the pendulum swings back to getting on base vs occasional homers, I think we'll see more Wade Boggs and Tony Gwynn types re-emerge. Didn't mean to exclude Rod Carew.

• Options
    loxahatcheedawgloxahatcheedawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior
    Soroka made a lot of good throws last night. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Mike wasn't awful last night, but he didn't have his usual control, no control, no command. You can have control and not have command, but you can't have command without control. He was missing on way too many pitches to dictate to hitters. When you struggle with control you'll leave some pitches in places they can be spanked.

• Options
    IwantkendallIwantkendall Posts: 305 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    How does he have a loss? He didn’t lose last night and all of his other outings have been stellar
  • Options
    UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    His 1st start of the season on 4/18, he went 5, gave up 1, and took the loss.
  • Options

Again my interest is in MS's next start. If he has the make up of Maddux he will be back to form, barring an injury we're not aware of. He won't be great if he doesn't have good control. He relies on movement, control and command. What he has is just as impressive as Verlander's power, but it can be more fleeting.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Soroka wasn’t sharp last night but his outing would have looked better if he’d had better luck.  While the Pirates hit him pretty hard, practically everything they hit found a hole.  Pirates have been impressive hitting the ball this series,  Marte and Bell especially.
  • Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

yeah he had an off night. The Pirates might have seen him a few days ago in Pittsburgh. Not sure if he threw a game up there. Even Mad Dog had games where he struggled and some where he just got trashed. All through the game I watched his facial expressions and body language. Hard to tell what was happening on the field by watching that stuff. I think Reitsma did a great job with him. Maybe we should get him to be a pitching coach.

• Options

Donm. Maddux had an insanely great record when he got 4 runs of support. He didn't have many games where he gave up 5 earned runs over 5 innings. Then again Soroka is just 21 years old, Greg wasn't great till he was around 23 years old.

• Options

Julio looked really good today guys. 6 innings, just the one earned run. Over his last 8 starts, he's 3-0 with a 0.81 ERA. Holy cow

• Options
    edited June 2019

CTDawg. Free cake and bourbon is ''really good'', Julio has been MIGHTY GOOD lately.

• Options
    MODawgMODawg Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    If the Pirates find some pitching, they could be really good. Their offense is great.
  • Options
    UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    What. A. Game.  BMac saved our bacon.  Great game.
  • Options
    DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Phillies Phan thread is a great read after this game. Go Braves!!!!

This discussion has been closed.