Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Bsampson0317Bsampson0317 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

Tehran will never be anything more than what he is right now. For years I have thought that he was gonna be the guy for the Braves but it just seems to never materialize. The broadcasters and Atlanta have always billed this guy as the Ace but I have seen him do anything to prove otherwise. Do we hang on to this guy and accept what he is or is there someone we could get for him?

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Julio was good for a handful of years (and I still think he's solid), his prime was wasted on terrible Braves teams of the early to mid 2010s. Not saying he was an elite #1 guy, but he had to be the #1 due to cheap Liberty rebuild mode, per usual. After last night's bad performance his ERA went up 0.5, and is now at 3.40. Not too bad.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    I’ve been on the train all year and last year that whatever we get out of Julio is good because I didn’t think he would be good at all. So far this year I’ve been very wrong I am happy to admit.

That being said, if I was a betting man I would still bet Julio is a borderline #5 starter going forward. Too many walks and homers allowed with not enough Ks for me to be confident he keeps up his good work, last night aside. 
  • CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019
    I don’t think we’ve talked enough about how good Freddie has been to this point. He just launched his 21st homer and 55th RBI in his 74th game. Across an entire season, that’s 46 homers and 120 RBIs.

His career highs are 34 and 109, respectively. He’s also slashing a ho-hum .315/.406/1.013
  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

Another outstanding win tonight.

The team is putting together the kinds of offensive stats I'm a big proponent of.

While just 10th in MLB in HRs and 14th in 2Bs they are 3rd in OBP, 4th in OPS, 5th in TBs and 4th in runs scored. Get on base, don't make an out, score runs. Show me a high OBP and high total bases team, I'll bet it's a team that can consistently score runs.

edited June 2019

CTDawg. Most years Freddie would be at or near the top in MVP talk, this year Yelich and Bellinger are so dominant they will have to cool a bit before FF can get noticed.

• Bsampson0317Bsampson0317 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

Looks like a very interesting game tonight, should be good pitching match up

Strasberg has been slapped around 2 out of his last 3 starts, he did have a 1 run effort in the middle of a 5 earned run and a 6 earned run game though. I'm very interested to see what Kuechel does tonight.

edited June 2019
    All I know is the Braves have a 4.5 game lead over the Phillies. Life is good.

Braves are 8-2 over their last 10 games.
    Phillies are 2-8.

Yep, keep the metal in the kettle...or something like that.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s going to be fun watching Keuchel pitch the rest of the year. He pitches kinda like a left-handed Greg Maddox, lots of pitches on the corners and in all quadrants of the strike zone.

If either Keuchel or Folty pitch well throughout the second half of the season, I like our chances to at least make the postseason.

That went bad quick. Keuchel really reminds me more of an older Tom Glavine than Maddux. He just throws those lollipops on the edges and sneaks one inside once in awhile. Mad Dog had superb movement on his pitches, that was a very underrated asset.

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Well this has been a fine start tonight 
  • donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Folty is unexplainable.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019
    I know his personality is to show his emotions but as a pitcher you need a great poker face. Even my daughter learned that as a young softball player. 
  • donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He needs Smoltzie’s old sports psych guy, I think.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

Maybe a month riding buses with the Gwinnett Stripers would do Folty some good. I know I’m tired of seeing the same old weak effort every time he pitches. I know we needed more innings out of him tonight, but didn’t have a good feeling seeing him face the top of their order for the third time.

• UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    I am officially over faulty.  And, yes, I meant to spell his name that way.  Send him to Gwinnett and see if he can be worth a crap coming out of the pen.  He CANNOT stay in the rotation if we want any chance of winning the division.
    This has been fantastic to watch though
This discussion has been closed.