Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks GG. Wilson shows a lot of promise.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

Yep, there's a good article on The Athletic about Folty, Soroka, Newcomb, and Wilson (amongst others). Snitker seems to be giving Folty more tough love in a fairly blunt "he needs to figure it out," but still supportive, kind of way, while the pitching coach is trying to be more "rah rah" supportive.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Well Snit is right Folty has been up for a while and is 27 or 28 it’s time to get it together and figure it out. Rah rah only can go so far. 

I'm not sure either get your shiit together or I feel your pain are particularly constructive at this point without professional expertise on dealing with Folty's condition, and I think by now calling it a condition is valid. He has lost all confidence in himself and he's beating himself up over it, that couldn't be good. Bring in the best available people who have specific experience in pulling pitchers out of these funks.

I would assume they are, given Folty is open to the help, especially with a potentially great season ahead for the Braves. Having 2018 Folty back would go a longways for the team. Especially when we don't know if the young starters will keep their form with the number of innings they'll be pitching.

Teddy. Having the Folty of last season would be huge. We've all seen pitchers have great second halves after struggling before the all star break, here's hoping.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Julio getting lit up tonight. Going to take some major late inning heroics to even make it interesting. 
    edited June 2019

Julio is simply back to being Julio. He will always have as many bad starts as he does good starts.

Edit. I just looked over Julio's game logs going back to 2014. He has actually had a higher percentage of quality starts than I've given him credit for.

• LD10LD10 Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ready to see Carmargo play some in right y eld. Nick is not having a season like 2018.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The only good thing I saw tonight for the Braves was that Sobotka came in and threw strikes. He can help our bullpen if he gets back to pitching like he was when we brought him up last season.

LD10. Markakis is on course to finish the season with 90 RBIs, score 100 runs, have 155 hits and his OBP is .359. His OPS is down because he has fewer extra base hits, but he's been productive.

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

I think Markakis has been and will continue to be productive for us in the 5-hole. He can clean up for some of the guys in front like he did last night because he puts the ball in play - he's currently 20th in at-bats to strikeouts ratio at 6.77.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Markakis has been the worst hitting starter on the team per WRC+. He is still having a fairly good year (2% above league average runs produced) but in my opinion nothing to warrant him playing so frequently. He is old and although I appreciate his game, it would be prudent to keep all our guys fresh.  

We saw him wilt wilt after a phenomenal first half last year, let’s not run him into the ground. Especially now that we have legitimate backup players to make spot starts for him.
    @WCDawg Julio is under appreciated, similar to the other thread discounting Matt Ryan yesterday. Not saying he's equivalent to what Ryan has done, but he's played well overall and gets little to no respect from a lot of fans. 
    edited June 2019

Markakis's age is completely irrelevant. The only question that matters is if we have somebody better to take those at bats, I don't think we do. I've said before on this board some of today's metrics make sense, some are convoluted BS. Get on base at a high rate up and down the lineup and the team will score a lot of runs. We're not among the best in power numbers, but we're top 5 by every measure of real production, including runs scored.

WC age is always relevant, older players have a harder time recovering. And my point isn’t that we have someone better to take those at bats. It is that in order to get the best out of our players, they should get off days in order to have them close to 100% physically and mentally.

Playing guys every day is a sure way for them to burn out. We saw it with freeman and markakis literally last year. Markakis was an extrememe drop off from first to second half, so this argument is especially relevant to him. 

I should say that i am having to speculate because I have no idea how nick or anyone else feels mentally or physically. None of us do. I still feel strongly that it helps players to have a day off every week or so. 

Kirbstomper. Age has no bearing when looking at data though. He is either a net plus or he isn't. Now if the data showed a net negative and you speculated age was a factor, that would be a different conversation.

@WCDawg we are arguing different things. I wanted to discuss whether nick should be playing so frequently. That’s all I have argued for. Don’t move the goal posts here. 

Whether he is a net positive or negative isnt what im arguing. It’s that to OPTIMIZE his performance he should be rested more frequently. 

If the stats show Markakis is more productive with fewer at bats, I'd be willing to look at the possibility he should get more rest. He has a very stout build though.

This discussion has been closed.