Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

My wish list for The Hawks' draft tomorrow night..

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

TNDawg71. I'd be happy to be proven wrong about Reddish, but to me he seems to have Ray Drew Syndrome. He just doesn't have the fire. He plays very soft.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    For a 6’9 guy with mad skills soft is correct. He should be a play maker, dominating. 
  • Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod
    Clax falling. No good
  • Options
    TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    He has time to develop the attitude and physicality. If our guys develop, the sky is the limit with this squad. Wish we would have traded up for Bol Bol though! We need a big body.
  • Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't disagree that it was a reach, but for the one and done guys and a weak draft, at least he has big potential. It does scream Marvin Williams to me, but at least not Adam Keefe.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Marvin didn't even start on that UNC team. He was the 6th man for most of the season. I remember being so confused... So he couldn't start for UNC but he's good enough to draft #3 overall?
  • Options

I find it interesting that Marvin Williams has had a long NBA career. While never a star he hit the NBA power ball economically. In fairness Williams wasn't a reach by The Hawks, everybody rated him at or near the top of mock drafts.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Didn't the Hawks pass on Chris Paul to take Marvin?

• Options

Yep, Paul was really the only player even then who looked like he might be better than Marvin, and The Hawks needed a PG. Most of the rest is 20/20 hindsight.

• Options
    dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019
    Hawks nailed this draft imo. Thought we were hosed initially. Didn't get my favorite Jaxon Hayes but kudos to the schlenker this is the makings of a great team
  • Options

The Smart Way. I'd rather have Bruno Fernando than Bol. He has a great NBA body, he has good touch and he's an explosive athlete.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chris Paul or Devon Williams, desperately needing a point guard. There were some scouts who felt Marvin wasn't a great athlete and badly overrated at the time.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So do you guys agree with Bradley that the Hawks did about the best they could after getting screwed by the lottery? I didn't watch any college ball this past season.

• Options

Scooter. I've made it clear I don't like the Reddish pick. I like Hunter, I might have slightly preferred Culver, but Hunter fills some big needs.

• Options

TNDawg71. Most people had Marvin in their top 3 though.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Starting to look like a young man in Nic Claxton and his father got misled by their advisors if he's not picked soon...

• Options
    dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Watching reddish tape, if the kid had shot a higher percentage and was more assertive he might have been the#1 pick, Hawks have the time to develop that shot a little, form is great mostly just needs to take higher percentage shots to begin with. One nba scout is on record saying he's the best player in this draft, comparisons to Paul George, who was very tentative in college, yet had everything else going for him. Here's gonna get great looks with Trae young out there. Excited for next year!
  • Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod
    @GeorgiaGirl or the hawks. Don’t think they expected that Davis trade to set off all these dominos
  • Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    @GeorgiaGirl Nic and family were not mislead. There had been trades and moved that effected his status tonight. Many media were reporting tonight if the hawks kept the 17th pick he would have been elected by the hawks. It’s just how the NBA draft works. A lot of movement and boards constantly shifting with the moves that are being made. Plenty of other guys sitting around tonight. This is common in the NBA. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Draft Express April 13th 2005. Marvin Williams has size, length, versatility, athleticism and especially upside that teams love.

Outlook. At this point all we know is that Marvin is going to be a promising forward in The NBA and is most likely a top 5 pick, possibly even the #1 overall pick.

Draftnet. Williams is an elite level athlete. He's very quick and agile for a player his size. He can play any position on the floor. Projection 2nd overall pick.

Marvin was taken right at where most projections had him slotted.