Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

My wish list for The Hawks' draft tomorrow night..

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

dbrown. Have you ever had a serious rib injury ? If he had anything more than a hairline fracture anybody who saw him move would know he had something wrong. I've had both broken and bruised ribs. With the deep bruise it took me 5 minutes to squirm into a position where I could slide out of bed. With the broken ribs they had to be taped and my range of motion was so limited anybody could spot it.

I didn't see a person with that type of injury when I watched Reddish. I did see a guy who looked very timid at times though. Cam played in 2 more games than Zion and averaged the same number of minutes per game. He played in 2 fewer games than Barrett and averaged 2 fewer minutes. So where is the evidence of a real injury ?

Edit. I just watched a 10 minute highlight video of Reddish that covered the season. I looked for even the slightest sign of such an injury...I call BS. There was NOTHING limiting his motion, speed or causing him to grimace AT ALL.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    @WCDawg have you not seen how many guys played sports with broken ribs and played season. You can play with broken ribs but any type of injury can effect your play. All you do is get a cortisone shot and go at it. Guys do it all the time. 
    edited June 2019

dbrown, watch his highlights, I couldn't detect any physical limitations or any signs of pain. I think he might be a head case. I'm betting I've logged more court time than most posters, I've never seen a person limited by injury that had no signs of a limitation whatsoever.

I see now. The rib injury happened before the season started. He would have healed by January, he's a cry baby.

• ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So who did the hawks end up with? Thought I heard something about a trade with Dallas maybe?

The trade last week was with Portland. We swapped Kent Bazemore for Evan Turner. Both have 1 year left on their contract and both are getting paid too much money.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    @mantis_toboggan69 and they showed a gap between skills. Luka is already a franchise player. Trae has the potential to be a star.

@WCDawg you cant compare your injuries to that of an athlete's. Brett Favre got 30 inches of his intestines removed and balled. Ronnie Lott had his finger crushed (eventually amputated) but played. The rib was a year long thing. He didnt drive much. Then the core issue forced him out in the tourney.

Portland feels Bazemore fits their offense better. I think Hawks' management made the deal for Turner's defense. Portland gave up almost 106 points per 40 minutes with Turner on the bench last season. They gave up just under 99 points per 40 minutes with him in the game. The Hawks gave up the most points per game of any NBA team in the past 23 years in 2018/2019. They took Hunter and Fernando for defense and rebounding, which helps both defense and offense of course.

edited June 2019

TLJohnson. Reddish did not have broken ribs when those highlights of the 2018/2019 season were made...period. Now ex-rays might have shown the bone hadn't completely regenerated, but that is entirely different from still being injured. There is just no way he was nursing a symptomatic injury on the video..no f..ing way. I've participated in and followed sports most of my life, athletes limp and favor injured areas just like everybody else. Favre limped and moved stiffly, even when taking narcotics like candy.

@WCDawg I doubt your playing had millions of dollars at stake. Many PROFESSIONALS have played with broken ribs. Most recently Georgias own Deshaun Watson. But you say its impossible so must be. 🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️
    edited June 2019

TLJohnson You're assigning human beings some kind of superhuman qualities that they don't possess. Many athletes are harder to injure because they are bigger and in better shape than most. When they have an injury like broken ribs they feel the same as anybody else though. Have you not noticed football players rolling on turf in agony or great basketball players hit the floor with sprained ankles ?

If Reddish had something limiting his movement would have some limitations . That is rather what defines limiting .I watched the video, he had absolutely no limitations.

The injury was REVEALED by Coach K 8 months ago, it happened prior to that. So by the time the regular season started it was pretty much healed. See that's another thing, great young and otherwise healthy athletes heal from such injuries rather quickly, just like any other healthy 19 year old would.

I meant to point this out before. The 3 Hawks picks average height is 6'8.33'' , yet their average wingspan is 7'2.33'' those long arms are going to help a lot on defense.

Reddish did move funny all season though. Im a Duke fan. He wasnt who I saw in his high school games/tape. He was a shell basically.  Its not superhuman but perfect example is Klay tore his ACL, ran jumped shoot free throws and all. Its a mind thing.  Greatest thing Ive ever read, "You're only tired  when you believe you're tired." WC you should know that people with the proper motivation push thru many difficulties. 

TLJohnson. Watch the season highlights, Reddish was making every sort of extreme movement without a hint of an impediment. In this case seeing is believing. He's not even saying his rib was a problem, he says he had a groin injury. His rib injury was way back in fall of last year, it was healed or nearly healed by the first regular season game.

• dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Wcdawg. So your saying he had surgery in the off season for no reason at all. Im calling bs now.
    edited June 2019

I'm saying anybody should be able to see he was not hampered by a rib injury this past season..period. A groin is a different matter, that can be an injury you can aggravate from time to time but it not hinder you much of the time. He was absolutely not nursing a broken rib in his season highlights though.

My doctor found an inguinal hernia in my annual checkup 2 years ago that I didn't even know I had. She said I could have had it for years because they often have little pain or discomfort. His recovery time was short so in all likelihood it was minor.

WCDawg youre placing limitations on people. People like pain differently. I love the feeling from tattoos most people dont. I love peeling back my cuticles alot of people hate the burn. Different pain tolerance for EVERY human.

TLJohnson. I don't believe anybody could move completely unencumbered and without grimacing if they had a symptomatic rib injury. It WASN'T a rib injury though, it was apparently a rather minor groin injury. More than likely a hernia, they can be virtually symptom free.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So if something is symptom free, can it affect someone's play? I might be missing something here?