Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

My wish list for The Hawks' draft tomorrow night..

Comments

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Hawks draft has been consider by many to be one of the best drafts of this year. Hawks aren’t done making moves either. https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1143244996046282752?s=21
  • Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Didn’t like that move.  Evans looks washed imo.
  • Options
    He played the point last year I think this trying to get a bigger guard who can be serviceable. A veteran presents on the roster which the Hawks don’t have much of. I think moving bazemore was a good move too inconsistent. Spent too much time trying to shoot the 3 instead of using his athleticism to get to the basket. 
  • Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

On the surface this looks like 2 teams trading marginally productive and over paid 30 year old players in hopes a change of scenery will do them good.

Looking at The Hawks' weakness it might make better sense though. They gave up more PPG than any NBA team in 23 years, that is obviously horrible defense. Where Turner's less obvious value is in defense when he's on the floor vs when he's on the bench. This past season with him on the floor the per 40 minute rate opponents scored was 97.6. With him on the bench the rate was 105.1. That can be skewed when end of the bench guys play mop up minutes, but in this case it seems pretty representative.

Anyway, Bazemore isn't a big loss and maybe we'll improve the defense. Every player added so far seems about playing their role and making the defense better.

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Just got released Reddish played the season with a broken rib along with his core injury. Kid has some heart for that!!!
  • Options

Why would Duke have kept the injury a secret ? or did Reddish hide it from the team ? There's also this, a broken or bruised rib makes it very hard to roll out of bed or cough, I have a hard time believing he could hide that level of injury from anybody. So maybe he had a lower level fracture that was different than what I've experienced. This I'm sure of, he didn't have the type of injury that needs to be taped just to breathe, nobody could hide that.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To me it means he’s even likely to be better than it seemed.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Reddish never fit consistently at Duke. Given the opportunity to be a true secondary playmaker off of Trae Young, I think he could be spectacular.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure what you mean by "fit". Explain a bit more? Also, fit "consistently". Same deal. A little more explanation., please.

• Options
    He wasnt able to star at Duke because of his style of play and I believe both injuries played a part as well. Duke has a slow paced offense so that could factor into his ability to shine with 2 other top 10 picks.

@WCDawg he had a broken rib prior to the season. You cant seriously think these professionals aren't going out there to give their all. BolBol missed the year and plummets doubt Cam wanted that. Its not the worst injury it just takes you out of driving and contact (which Reddish avoided being mostly a spot up shooter for Coach K). Guys that love the game will play thru a lot. Biggest Example Brett Favre.
  • Options

I don't believe style of play had anything to do with Reddish's lack of production at Duke. He had extremely poor stats quality wise, not just in quantity. His shooting was very poor and his turnovers to assist ratio of 2 to 1 was atrocious, almost unheard of. Nothing was statistically impressive. Injury might have been a factor, but damnn he played timidly. His demeanor is timid as well, which makes me think it's who he is.

• Options

Reddish was relegated to the role of spot-up shooter a lot of the time, usually from 3. I believe I read over half his attempts per game were 3-pointers. He had more multi-faceted abilities than that, or at least he did in high school, but I think it affected him playing as third option behind Zion and Barrett. I wonder if he was pressing a little bit or trying to do much when he did get the ball since he wasn't a primary playmaker very often.

He can dribble, his shot looks like it should be effective, and in Atlanta he won't have to shoulder all of the burden. He just needs to get comfortable in his role and I don't think that ever happened at Duke.

• Options
    edited June 2019

Reddish was also around 40% on 2 pt attempts, that is also atrocious. I can't think of a player who went in the top 10 and wasn't a bust who had such bad stats in college. Also being a spot up shooter should give a player better percentages, not worse. The point in having a designated set 3 pt shooter is to draw defenders in then kick the ball out to him. With an all time great penetrator who is also a very good passer Reddish should have had many wide open shots from outside.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    If I’m Cam being 6’9 and can dribble, I’m going to rack and looking to block shots 
  • Options

But then again I could be dead wrong because I didn't watch more than 30 minutes combined of Duke all season lol

• Options
    If a guy is a spot up shooter (not his game) then style of play is affecting him. Also you point to assisst to turnover ratio while ignoring he is a point foward but wasnt able to come down the court with the ball. 
    Plays timid which points to the injuries. 
    His percentages werent horrible but they werent great. Had 7 games of 20+ points.

You should go watch his HS stuff. Different player.
    He is probably the best trail fast break player in the draft. He has a sweet drive and jumper. Get him healthy and go re-review his draft profiles he has the highest potential in the draft (for a reason)
  • Options
    Im gonna come back and review this post. 
    I admit I was wrong on Young being good but I wasnt wrong on Luka being better.
  • Options
    mantis_toboggan69mantis_toboggan69 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    They’ve play one NBA season @Thelordjohnson
  • Options
    Yeah broken rib would effect anything and everything you do on a basketball court just because of how much you use your core especially when jumping. I believe Reddish will be better than expected