Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Ah, I see my original post of today was just flat out removed. While CT's is allowed. Such hypocrisy....

I just hope my defense of some of these falsehoods reaches at least one dawg out there.

Editors note: you aren't the only one...both sides are

• Options
    deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

I feel ya with the CDC. I thought they were the best example of what US fed depts could be. Thats whats so shocking. I would like to see the results of an investigation when this is all done.

Again thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

because the president is certainly above slinging mud during a crisis.

see? both ways

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think there is blame to go all around (starting squarely with China and the WHO). I just can't understand the rationale that if the federal government had shortcomings then the solution is to give more power to the federal government and to make the public at large even more dependant on them. Doesn't make any sense to me.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, I don't see it. No one is suggesting permanent loss of civil liberties. Is there any politician that has run a successful campaign advocating for the restriction of civil liberties that apply so broadly? That just seems absurd. How is wealth being transferred? You say the wealthy will survive this and the working class will suffer but that contradicts wealth being transferred. How is Whitmer being too harsh related to dependence on the federal government? Would it not be the opposite? These stay at home orders have harsh effects on the economy. Any action that has negative effects on the economy is a politically perilous path that must be justified or you will get voted out of office/lose political power. Everyone regardless of political affiliation is suffering. I just can't see how these lockdowns are aimed to help liberals while punishing conservatives.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with many/most of your points.

But this problem isn't caused by the democrats alone.

I'm as conservative as anyone you will meet.....but our country is in a mess from this virus......and there is enough blame to go around to both parties.

Trump is getting hammered and treated unfairly.....but so are the Democrat governors.

Americans need and deserve the truth......and I'm afraid I'm being feed as much s.h.i.t from conservatives as I am libersls.

But who can we trust? Who can we believe is making decisions for the best interest of Americans instead of trying to win an election in November.

Our partisan leadership probably can't be helped. Hopefully enough Americans can come together and demand the appropriate decisions be made.

Problem is.. what in the hell are the appropriate decisions.

• Options

He's a giant D bag. But he's our giant D bag. I think the country has been conditioned to have the Dems on the offensive all the time, and the Reps be on the defensive. So whenever that dichotomy get's shifted some folks just can't handle it because they internally think it shouldn't be like that. Trump recognized it, and seized on it. He knew folks were fed up with this and won an election off of it. He's basically a rough around the edges Bill Clinton anyways.

Sometimes the boss is a jerk. That doesn't necessarily make him a bad boss. And he's been under constant attack from day 1. I honestly hated him at first. But I've evolved to see he's actually trying to do the right thing. And under a resistance that I'm pretty sure no POTUS has ever seen before. I don't love Trump, but I think he's alright. And compared to what the other guys are doing.... yeesh. I mean everything is a crisis, catastrophe, a racist, .... and on and on and on. Talk about crying wolf.

Thanks for the banter. I got to get back to actually taking care of some of these COVID patients. I'm not sure what opening up things will do. It'l either be fine, or it will all go to hell quick. The good news is it probably won't take long to find out. The biggest problem I see is the ones that get really sick, stay sick. It's a long road of hell for them, and it's somewhat unpredictable who that happens to.

Stay safe, and good luck out there.

• Options

Who said give them more power? They can start by effectively using the power they had.

If someone set my house on fire and my neighbors came out to watch it burn without calling the fire department, I'd be pretty **** mad at my neighbors. That's how I feel about our response.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I would argue the last 12 years our president has faced harsh rebukes from both sides for whatever reason. And both sides are at fault for that. The dems are doing what the mcconnell and ryan did for years to Obama...except Trump just gives them more ammo to do so with his twitter account.

make sure you moisturize because i'm sure your hands look like chopped beef right now ;)

• Options

You're right. Violence begets violence. Or more aptly, PR smears begets PR smears. You can't expect one side to just sit there while the other spins things out of context. It still seems pretty lopsided to me...

Ok, gota run.

• Options

I said the ultra wealthy. Huge distinction between the wealthy and the ultra wealthy. HUGE DISTINCTION. Both in what they do for America and how they tend to vote.

These lock downs severely damage the economy. The incredible economy was probably going to get Trump reelected.

Poor economy helps the liberals win the big prize.

When successful business owners lose their companies they lose their wealth.

We can go on and on.

Again.....I've admitted multiple times that politics are to blame......from both sides.

But if you can't see the political ramifications of harsh stay at home policies......then it's difficult to have a conversation.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anybody got a really big empty tank? It would need to hold barrells and barrels of liquid. Asking for a friend who needs to store some stuff...

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The economy was unsustainable being financed on debt (both government and personal). Anyone here could have a great standard of living if given an unlimited balance credit card that never required minimum payments. Our children and grandchildren will have to pay the price of our excesses. The difference between the 2 parties is who benefits from the wealth being created; they and we should agree that spending our children's future earnings is just plain wrong.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No, but I've got a really big full tank of the stuff you're looking for. I would love to let you take it off my hands. Might even pay you to do it.

• Options
  • Options

Keeping things shutdown to artificially hurt the economy to prevent trump from winning only works if:

1. democrats control every state
    2. they are willing to destroy the US and world economy over nothing and hand a recession to the next democratic president.
    3. they believed it was their only chance
    4. They are the most powerful group in the world to be able to so perfectly orchestrate the rest of the world to pretend this is a major crisis when in fact it isn't that big of a deal.

Democrats don't control every state. It's impossible to retain power during a recession (see Obama), so no way they'd create a recession artificially to win a single election. It just doesn't make sense long term. It's definitely difficult to beat an incumbent in a good economy, but trump has given them plenty of ammunition to launch an effective campaign and arguments can be made the economy isn't as strong as it's being made out to be. If they had that much control trump wouldn't be president, and we'd be living under a dictatorship already.

Both parties have ultra wealthy backing, but by amount of people and amount of money contributed republicans have democrats beat. Trump is ultra wealthy and gallivants with other ultra wealthy people at mar-a-lago quite frequently. His tax bill overwhelmingly benefited the wealthiest people which democrats opposed. A common goal among many of the more liberal democrats is to raise taxes on the wealthy especially the ultra wealthy.

It's a very heavy accusation to launch at democrats that they want to destroy America just to beat trump and detest small business owners so much they want them to lose their wealth. I don't think republican supporters would like me saying things like "Republicans are opening up prematurely so more people die from COVID-19. It has a tendency to affect poor and minority communities more than others. Reducing that voting population greatly benefits republicans, so they are using this opportunity to cull them." It's a ridiculous thing to suggest.

The governors of Ohio and Maryland are republican and both have pretty stringent sheltering orders. Are they in on the plot?

• Options

To @texdawg's point. Government (not democrat or republican) expands its power by expanding its involvement. Every "crisis" has become an opportunity for government to get more involved. Maybe some ways the government gets involved are good. Maybe most ways. Not all ways.

This pandemic has seen the government get involved in ways we have yet to experience before. That isn't a bad thing in and of itself, but it isn't automatically a good thing either. Look at the new agencies and expanded budgets following 911. Those were sold as temporary fixes. Did they go away?

To accept government creep blindly is ignorance. To reject it blindly is also ignorance. Every attempt at government expansion should be critically reviewed and prior expansion should be thoroughly studied for effectiveness. It should not be political suicide to reduce ineffective government programs or to eliminate regulations that don't make sense. Not all government programs and regulations, just those which fail to yield the desired results. Why does this not happen?

• Options

Both sides pay tribute to the ultra-rich and ultra-powerful. To suggest otherwise is laughable.

This discussion has been closed.