Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And I am not a fan of the guy who runs those 5th grade peeing contests that come on TV every afternoon...

I have no affiliation with a "party" and think we have done much better in past elections on both sides...

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, the longer you wait the more tests you need. If we have a good testing infrastructure in the beginning it reduces the amount of testing needed overall. You only have to test hotspots where it first appeared, which would help prevent spread elsewhere.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe we get lucky and our testing capability gets high enough before this thing gets back out of hand. Just maybe...

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great points.

On your point about Lowes.....

I don't agree with the Michigan governor at all....but how do protesters justify showing up to protest without social distancing or masks.

There has to be some middle ground somewhere.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Question...in the last couple of months have many people died from the normal flu or pneumonia? Or have all deaths been because of covid?

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Totally different. We didn't do this for SARS or Swine flu. Totally different viruses can't say they are handled the same every time. Can't compare it to Spanish flu because now you have 1000's of people on and off planes from the far reaches of the planet. And yes this one has been politicized way more than ones in the past. Both sides are concerned more on how the other side looks than what is happening to the average citizen.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

But not everyone would go in and test. Just like now when a vaccine is developed not everyone will go in and get inoculated. Guarantee not everyone on this site gets a flu shot every year.

• Options

Identify and isolate the infected. It's the same for any infectious disease. It's why you don't go to work with the flu even if you have a mild case.

• Options
    deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

Isn't one of the main problems that people can spread the virus before they are symptomatic? And some are asymptomatic so they never get tested. If we can only test after showing symptoms its kinda useless as they have already spread it. That's why shelter in place went into effect. That is my understanding of what went on initially but I think you have access to better information.

• Options

Yeah, it seems asymptomatic spread occurs, but symptomatic spread is the main driver of transmission. Regardless, once an outbreak is identified (infected person who didn't catch it from a known source) you start testing not only sick people to isolate them and do contact tracing, but you test random healthy people in the area. This helps identify asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic carriers. Once you have a large enough data set it also gives you an idea of how bad the outbreak is. You need a positive test rate of about 1% to be sure, but the US has a positive rate of about 20%. It means we are only testing high risk individuals and we don't know how widespread it's actually gotten. Large scale testing also helps implement looser policies for social distancing instead of shelter in place orders.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed. The contact tracing and testing covers all known contacts in the prior 2 weeks so you should catch asymtomatic individuals also - hopefully before they start shedding. Every case results in 10-100 others being tested. When there are 50 cases it is challenging but doable. At 750,000 cases not so much which is why the delays in addressing the problem has been so devastating.

• Options
    deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

Gotcha, tks for the info.

Little background for what i'm about to say. My wife is the SNCO for a 50 person flight so i've been privy to a bunch of leadership problems that have arisen due to covid. One of the biggest issues is that the symptoms are so common to a bunch of other illnesses. One of the members will say they think they have it and then call the hotline but are told to self isolate and wait to see if it gets worse. There have been way more negative tests then positives. Only one person in our Group (about 1000 people including dependents) has tested positive but several dozen have been tested. It appears from the outside that the healthcare system is being flooded with nervous people who are going a bit hypochondriac. How do you set up a system that is able to separate the wheat from the chaff in a situation like this?

Also in your informed opinion would you say the main issue has been a lack of testing kits, tests actually being administered or timeliness in results?

• Options

Yeah, we've reached a point where almost everyone needs to be tested. Testing, contact tracing, and isolation is always the best method for fighting infectious diseases especially upper respiratory diseases which can be highly contagious.

• Options

In general it doesn't cause a runny nose like a cold or flu. High fever, dry cough, and breathing difficulty that persist for longer than a typical cold and flu are the most common symptoms. However, it occasionally presents like a regular cold or has no symptoms, and we're seeing multi-systemic issues like blood clots and renal failure now. It's all over the place. The wait and see if it gets worse approach is probably the best.

Biggest problem was the botched roll out of the CDC tests and not approving other companies to make their own tests in early February. First CDC tests had reagents contaminated with actual coronavirus making any of the results meaningless and we lost so much time from that. Next problem would be lack of tests preventing us from understanding the actual scope of spread and isolating the infected with little to no symptoms. We are having to ration tests.

• Options
    SupraSupra Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

What are your thoughts on the studies coming out using antibody tests?

Doesn’t seem like those results are being fully embraced. But if true, it could be a big break for all of us. Would reach herd immunity a lot quicker than previously thought

• Options
    edited April 2020

Too early to tell. It will definitely help understanding how widespread this is, but we don't know enough about how long the immune system provides protection post infection or how well it would handle different strains. Previous work on SARS-COV and other coronaviruses isn't very encouraging, but we just don't know.

@razorachilles, I believe has some "inside" info on the vaccine development side. (set me straight if that isn't accurate)

• Options

I could take this statement and apply it to a lot of different situations.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are some naive simpleton unable to resist the propaganda while you are enlightened and know what's actually happening.

This discussion has been closed.