Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in 2.0

Comments

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What does it matter if they tested negative hours before the game? I thought POTUS, who gets frequently tested along with anyone who come near him, was supposed to wear one to set an example for others. Here we have the primary mouthpiece for wearing a mask sending what message to the public?

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020
  • Options

I have to say it was a horrendous example. He couldn't even get the ball to the plate.

• Options
    edited July 2020

@Denmen185

I think most here appreciate your efforts tracking these numbers, but once again, your pos% rates do not match what the States are publishing. The benchmark for alarm concerning pos% test rate (10-12% or whatever) was set by CDC using some formula that obviously includes repeat negatives for SOME people. Consistency is key. As long as Florida, Georgia, and the other states are using the same criteria CDC set to calculate these important values, then the data they report is accurately presented for comparison against the benchmark set by CDC.

For some reason, you have decided that your formula for reporting pos% is better than the experts. I’m not sure why you leave their data out of your reports.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If PCR tests can be checked in 60 minutes. Then why don't Doctor office's use them?

Doesn't make sense.

I understand why drive thru testing can't use them.....but you would think a doctor's office could be set up for fast PCR testing.

• Options

They don't have the equipment for them and it's resource intensive so it's usually done in bulk at a centralized facility

• Options

Here is a more accurate answer:

It is more profitable to send the tests out to a lab. The cost for the test by an outside lab is lower than the cost of the person running the machine in a doctor’s office. That’s what he means by “resource intensive.”

It’s like that in both human medicine and veterinary medicine.

• Options
    edited July 2020

Why do you so confidently say things in areas you have little to no knowledge of?

That's not at all what I mean by resource intensive. It quite literally takes lots of physical resources for sample preparation for these kinds of tests to ensure high quality. The machines are also really expensive to purchase, maintain, and operate. It wouldn't make sense for most doctors' offices to have one. But yes you would also need a dedicated lab scientist who knew how to perform the protocol which would also be expensive. And all of this cost from such an inefficient setup would fall back on the patients.

What local clinics and doctors' offices need are accurate POC testing that are easy to operate. We just aren't there yet.

One thing I have found to be odd is that academic labs were never asked to help with testing, since many labs have all the necessary equipment. Probably something to do with quality control and specialized training for clinical samples.

https://www.deseret.com/indepth/2020/7/21/21331407/coronavirus-utah-covid-19-testing-why-does-it-take-so-long-test-results

• Options
    edited July 2020

Little to no knowledge? I know how this works.

Profit is the issue, which is something about which an academic such as yourself knows very little.

”Dedicated lab scientist” Comical.

There are labs all over the country running these tests using people they only recently trained for this stuff.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just saw an interview with Rebekah Jones who said that she was fired for refusing to manipulate the numbers. She said Florida was not following CDC guidelines on reporting deaths (lower than the really are) and by watering down positive rates by including negative retests to make the numbers look better than they really are to justify re-opening.

Florida tests per my spreadsheet = 3,276,636

Florida tests per your source 2,874,324 neg 402,312 pos (cases) = 3,276,636.

• Options

It's clear you do not. It is not simply a profit issue. It doesn't make sense for every doctor's office and clinic to also operate a high level diagnostic and testing facility. It is simply impossible to do that as well as inefficient, but it seems that is what you want.

• Options
    edited July 2020

All you’ve really just explained is that you don’t even understand the business world meaning of “inefficient.”

• Options

I’ve previously explained I understand where you get the math.

Do you have a whistleblower for any of the other states you misreport?

• Options

LMAO alright Mr. Business man. You've demonstrated you don't know what you're talking about it. Back to COVID-19.

@Denmen185 can you link that interview? I had suspected they were deflating numbers but I didn't want to believe they would manipulate the death count.

• Options
    edited July 2020

Denmen is incredibly transparent with where the numbers come from and his methods. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean its a fake news conspiracy to destroy Qanon

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not to play yard duty but it seems to me you are both ( @YaleDawg and @Bankwalker ) describing the same thing in different ways.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

You're right it is similar. I took issue with the nefarious undertones and the overly simplistic view.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree. @Denmen185 explains his rationale for his numbers. Agree or not, he is consistent. I prefer a more optimistic outlook than he generally shares, but I still find his output to be genuine in spite of his natural disposition.

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,173 mod

OK boys and girls lets get back on topic. Recess is over.....

Update From The Sun Herald:

Mississippi is nearing 50,000 total cases after an additional 1,610 cases were reported Friday for a total of 49,663, and 28 new deaths, 11 of which were from July 5-17.

There are 975 people hospitalized with confirmed cases of COVID-19 — up by 25 since Thursday and another state record — as the health department said, “The extraordinary burden on hospitals continues to increase.”

“Mississippi is on a strong upward trend in COVID-19 that has yet to stop,” MSDH tweeted Friday. “Hospitals are dangerously full. You can change this by the actions you take, and by encouraging others to take action as well. Simple precautions over time WILL stop COVID-19!”

The 163 patients on ventilators was another record, while patients in ICU dropped to 279 Friday from 293 Thursday.

We had 892 cases yesterday so almost double that today reported

This discussion has been closed.