Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

COVID-19 Check-in 2.0

Comments

• DawgGirl96DawgGirl96 Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Glad you had a friend that was able to help out! I wish my office would have Dr & all of us staff tested periodically due to nature of work and generally an older patient base. But we are very small and isn't going to happen it seems. No one has been tested at all. We're in a red zone and although we do a series of screening questions and try to move patients out are starting to have more

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

Multiple Cardinals players have tested positive and their game today vs the Brewers has been postponed.

Just not sure how the heck anyone in football is going to pull this off. It's a very good thing I rigged my Wii to where I can play again and I'm going to attend nursing school, because if football doesn't pull this off, I'll be busy anyway.

Edit: If everyone else tests negative, they'll be allowed to play tomorrow but still, this isn't looking very good at all.

Oops, accidentally hit post. ...we move patients out if travelled to beach etc (in SC a lot of cases here in upstate have been linked to Myrtle Beach trips etc). But as it's becoming more wide spread here we're starting to have more & more patients who are high risk that we can't reschedule. Just this week we had about 5 high risk people we had to do treatment on... can't exactly turn away a nurse who's been working on the Covid wing for last several weeks or the EMT who has been in close contact with Covid patients when they are in tooth pain. It's stressful for sure.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Again, guess this is what makes it so dangerous. If it knocked everyone on their back for several days like flu seems to it probably wouldn't be quite so easily spread.”

50% or more of flu carriers are asymptomatic. This NEJM article says up to 75%

I wouldn’t argue covid isn’t more dangerous, but maybe that is changing as the virus evolves to less lethal forms.

Sars-cov virus is 76% similar to sars-cov-2

They didn’t name them the same for nothing. I really find it unlikely that there isn’t a use for these drugs in this fight. 50 years of safe use but now it is unsafe?

I’ve been shocked at how these medical studies are conducted, such as administering known toxic dosages and then feigning surprise when the patient develops side effects.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Could it be that the flu is more dangerous to younger people and covid is more dangerous to older people?

An "extremely" small percentage of covid deaths come from 85% of the population. Or a better way to say it......vast majority of covid deaths come from 15% of the population.

Flu seems more spread out.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Updated Age distribution of cases in Florida.

As can be seen, when testing was widened towards the end of June, those 55 and over accounted for 20.8% of the cases (6/20-7/3). This has steadily increased in the 2, 2 week periods to where it now is at 28.4%. This and the increase in absolute number of cases 55+ leads to a likely continued increase in deaths for all of August and early September. Of further note is that in the last 2 weeks there has been more cases 55+ (40,394) than in the entire period from 1st March up to June 19th (30,909).

I wonder how many deaths will eventually be linked to the first big run on grocery stores, when people started hoarding toilet paper? Every grocery store was jam packed with non-thinkers who, based on bottle water shortages, apparently also thought water faucets were going to run dry. There was certainly a big spike in cases everywhere right after the lockdowns started.

Interesting study for sure. I was not aware that many flu cases can be asymptomatic. Anecdotally, I've never known anyone with flu who wasn't truly sick while list of people I know with Covid with little to no symptoms is growing weekly. But I'm fully aware anecdotal evidence isn't scientific and we don't test for flu in same way we're testing for Covid so two different animals. Thanks for sharing!

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Perspective:

WW2 resulted in 416,800 U.S military deaths.

In approximately 5 months, we have 154,000 U.S. COVID deaths.

At this rate, a year from now COVID deaths will surpass those of U.S. soldiers in all of WW2.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Biological weapons are much more dangerous than guns and bombs ever could be...

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

SARS-COV-2 isn't a bio weapon if that is what you are hinting at.

• flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I told my wife that same thing, we were at the store the day my Company sent us to work from home. We stop in the water aisle and she starts loading bottled water. I looked at her and said "It's not a hurricane" The guy next to her doing the same busts out laughing.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,264 mod

LOL I keep 8 cases on hand down here. Crazy how things run out like hand sanitizer, soap and still can't find a spray can of Lysol.

This discussion has been closed.