Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Who else is ready to see Nauta live up to his potential?

Comments

• Options
    Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

you can tell the forum is tired of TEs not getting enough passes. Pretty much shut down in a hurry.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m guessing the Bama forum is doing the same threads, but on QBs

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@mlee said:
    I would love to see all the kids on our team to be the best at their position..

This is my thinking.
    I don't want kids to be selfish, but that goes both ways.
    If we're not going to give a kid an good shot at achieving his potential and dreams, don't recruit him. All of our TEs combined had 250 yards and 2 tds over 15 games. That comes to 20 yards a game and a single td every 7th game divided among 4 players, that won't get a kid drafted or prepared for The NFL.
    By contrast Oklahoma's top TE had 958 yards and 8 tds over 14 games, now they have our TE coach as well. It couldn't have been fun for Beamer either.

Apparently, the truth was told to them when Kirby came in on how TE’s would be used at UGA going forward. Basing that off what I read on the home page.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawgy_Fresh said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg96 said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:
    Seems this dead horse has some life. We kept the TE’s in to block due to teams loading the box. It worked. We ran the ball welland made the NCG. Would rather we’d targeted the TE’s and not run the ball as well? It’s what the staff wanted. I have a feeling the Chaney knows how to throw to the TE, when the situation requires it.

@donm said:
    Seems this dead horse has some life. We kept the TE’s in to block due to teams loading the box. It worked. We ran the ball welland made the NCG. Would rather we’d targeted the TE’s and not run the ball as well? It’s what the staff wanted. I have a feeling the Chaney knows how to throw to the TE, when the situation requires it.

My only point is use them or don't recruit them.
    This is the biggest opportunity almost all of these guys will get in this life. We owe it to them ALL to do everything we can to make sure they reach their potential.
    If it's not at UGA, let them sign elsewhere.

I understand where you are coming from but I do think your opinion is a bit short sighted. Kids in the recruiting process want to win. They want a chance to play for championships. As a athlete who recently went through the recruiting process himself, I think that is the main concern on most players minds. Yes if Issac nauta was at a Florida, vandy or ole miss he would be the featured pass catcher for their offense but I think if you ask him he'd rather be in the playoffs and playing for a natty championship in his hometown.

These kids want to get to the NFL when they come in at Nauta's level.
    If he gets more opportunities, fine, otherwise he will have made a mistake coming to UGA.
    He did have a good first year for a freshman, so there is reason to think it was just a one year thing.
    Remember though, we thought Chaney needed to target TEs more LAST year, then he dropped to less than half of the passes to TEs this season.
    I'm sorry, but if I was Ford's coach or Dad I would have wanted him at Oklahoma or another program that targets their TEs a lot.

Way too many “we don’t use our TE threads.” Kirby has addressed this and it was referenced in this thread. TE are thrown to more frequently when teams play in a zone defense. Since teams stacked the box against us all yr TEs weren’t open. They were also used to block for our backfield. This isn’t Madden or fantasy football. Chaney has historically used TEs in his passing game so I’m sure our TEs will get theirs next season as teams start respecting our passing game more.

I'm sorry but Kirby is making excuses on this one.
    A good OC can get the ball to his best players.
    Chaney came to UGA with the claim he knows how to use TEs, but he's yet to demonstrate it.
    Stacking the box can be exploited with quick throws to a TE.

• Options
    CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BigDawg96 said:

@CoachRob16 said:

@cusedawg said:
    If he buys into the blocking schemes, he will see a lot more playing time in '18. My guess, and hope, is that when he does start blocking, he will not be taken off the field very often and become a true star on this team. He certainly has the talent for it! Seriously, what linebacker is going to cover this guy? His upside is nearly limitless!

It doesn’t matter his potential in the Chaney system. TE’s come to UGA and see their potential die cause Chaney doesn’t have a clue how to incorporate them like he should.

You should check out Chaney's offenses at other schools before he inherited the best running back duo in SEC. He uses TE's in a wide variety of ways and they have historically caught a lot of passes for him. If you saw the amount of formations UGA lined up in this year you would know that we have used the TE's in a vide variety of ways. There are a large number of reasons why our TE's were not productive this year. One is that people don't quite understand that Jake Fromm ran a spread system in High school with no TE's. It is difficult for a QB to jump from a system that has 0 TE's to a offense that uses 1,2, or even 3 TE's at a time. Remember, Fromm was not the starter all of camp, spring practices and the offseason. He did not have time to get confotable with the TE's and we did not design a playbook that utilizes his talents to get the ball into the hands of our TE's. Fromm was more comfortable throwing balls to receivers on the outside of the formations as that is what he did in high school. Fromm's job for a majority of the year (minus Bama, Oklahoma, and auburn) was to take care of the ball, make checks at the line and hand the ball off. We ran mostly play action routs to receivers and RPO's that only include one receiver. It is not fair to blame Chaney or the coaches, its safe to say our offense ran at a high level this year.

Eason didn't do much better last year in using the TE's, so that theory doesn't really work. Plenty of times all they had to do is run the TE's down the seam and they would have walked into the end zone, but unfortunately Chaney hasn't a clue how to use TE's. If I were a stud TE I wouldn't ever sign with UGA unless you wanted to just be used as another OL.

• Options
    CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

@DawgsofWar said:

@CoachRob16 said:

@cusedawg said:
    If he buys into the blocking schemes, he will see a lot more playing time in '18. My guess, and hope, is that when he does start blocking, he will not be taken off the field very often and become a true star on this team. He certainly has the talent for it! Seriously, what linebacker is going to cover this guy? His upside is nearly limitless!

It doesn’t matter his potential in the Chaney system. TE’s come to UGA and see their potential die cause Chaney doesn’t have a clue how to incorporate them like he should.

Hey @CoachRob16 , there’s a TE position coaching spot open! Maybe you should coach!

I wish, lol. Its really a glorified extra OL coach really.

• Options

@JRT812 said:

@WCDawg said:

@mlee said:

This is my thinking.
    If we're not going to give a kid an good shot at achieving his potential and dreams, don't recruit him. All of our TEs combined had 250 yards and 2 tds over 15 games. That comes to 20 yards a game and a single td every 7th game divided among 4 players, that won't get a kid drafted or prepared for The NFL.
    By contrast Oklahoma's top TE had 958 yards and 8 tds over 14 games, now they have our TE coach as well. It couldn't have been fun for Beamer either.

Apparently, the truth was told to them when Kirby came in on how TE’s would be used at UGA going forward. Basing that off what I read on the home page.

Kirby told them how he PLANS to use TEs, but we heard things that have yet to transpire about Chaney's skill in that area.
    Also the idea that Fromm came to UGA having never thrown to TEs is nonsense, his brother Tyler was his TE at Houston County and he had 543 receiving yards 15.5 YPC and 5 tds in Jake's senior season.
    As another poster mentioned, stacking the box actually leaves teams vulnerable to quick 10 to 15 yard slants that TEs are built for.

• Options

@SWARLES_BARKLEY said:
    “We don’t use our tight ends” is just another “our offensive playcalling sucks”.

Every single fan base says it, and it’s usually the negative nancies. We just played in a national title game. Is there really nothing that can make you guys happy or appreciate that just maybe the coaching staff pulled out everything they had and deserve a pat on the back instead of this crap?

I'm not complaining about results, though obviously utilizing assets is always a plus.
    I just don't think it's right if we're making promises we won't keep to recruits.

I look at every other position we're recruiting strong at and I'm sure the players made a good choice in signing with us, not so much at TE though.

• Options
    Dawg19Dawg19 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bama under saban has also underutilized it's tight ends. When they actually used them, OJ Howard would go off for like 200 yards. A good tight end is nearly unstoppable in college, and we have about 4 of them. I'm not saying you can't win without using your TE's, but we certainly could and should use them more. I'm more than happy with our offensive performance this year, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice that we didn't throw to TE's much.

• Options

@Dawg19 said:
    Bama under saban has also underutilized it's tight ends. When they actually used them, OJ Howard would go off for like 200 yards. A good tight end is nearly unstoppable in college, and we have about 4 of them. I'm not saying you can't win without using your TE's, but we certainly could and should use them more. I'm more than happy with our offensive performance this year, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice that we didn't throw to TE's much.

Agreed, it is also common sense to see utilizing all your assets makes you tougher to defend.
    Look at The Falcons when Suckisian came in and stopped distributing the ball like Shanahan did.
    We won't always have the best stable of RBs in the game to lean on either.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawg19 said:

I hope your happy with the offense. We went from around 100th ranked offense last year (PPG) to 15th this year. Bama is the only SEC team that scored more PPG than us. Even Mizzou’s high powered offense ranks behind us.

One year of down TE production and the sky is falling for some folks on here? Two seasons ago TEs accounted for about 30% if the passing game.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@SWARLES_BARKLEY said:
    “We don’t use our tight ends” is just another “our offensive playcalling sucks”.

Every single fan base says it, and it’s usually the negative nancies. We just played in a national title game. Is there really nothing that can make you guys happy or appreciate that just maybe the coaching staff pulled out everything they had and deserve a pat on the back instead of this crap?

I'm not complaining about results, though obviously utilizing assets is always a plus.
    I just don't think it's right if we're making promises we won't keep to recruits.

I look at every other position we're recruiting strong at and I'm sure the players made a good choice in signing with us, not so much at TE though.

What promises are you privy to that we aren’t? Are you on all the recruiting visits of our TEs?

• Options

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@SWARLES_BARKLEY said:

What promises are you privy to that we aren’t? Are you on all the recruiting visits of our TEs?

No elite player in their right mind would sign with a team unless they were convinced they'd be prepared for and have an opportunity to fulfill their potential.
    A TE can't be prepared for The NFL without being given sufficient opportunity to catch the ball in game situations.
    Call it common sense reasoning on my part.

How would a conversation go...''well we're not going to throw to TEs much, but you'll get ample chances in practice.'' Somehow I don't see an elite TE prospect jumping at that sales pitch.

• Options
    ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not everyone is a Gronk. TE are recruited to block and catch a pass every now and then. They are linemen. UGA runs the ball.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@Dawg19 said:

I hope your happy with the offense. We went from around 100th ranked offense last year (PPG) to 15th this year. Bama is the only SEC team that scored more PPG than us. Even Mizzou’s high powered offense ranks behind us.

One year of down TE production and the sky is falling for some folks on here? Two seasons ago TEs accounted for about 30% if the passing game.

Two seasons ago was Richt's final season and TEs accounted for 11.7% of the receiving yardage.
    Last season (2016) was Kirby's and Chaney's 1st season as HC and OC respectively, that year TEs accounted for 19.3% of the total receiving yardage.
    I'm not sure where you got your stats but they are incorrect.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This thread has become one of the most pointless I’ve read. People seeing ghosts where there arent any, and criticising the coaching without a scent of validity.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:
    I get it that he needs to block, but I just see him as doing better on Sundays than he is in our system.

I believe the coaches are handling it correctly, but Nauta is not a traditional tight end.

Ah, better = catching passes as opposed to blocking for a successful running game?

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@SWARLES_BARKLEY said:

No elite player in their right mind would sign with a team unless they were convinced they'd be prepared for and have an opportunity to fulfill their potential.
    A TE can't be prepared for The NFL without being given sufficient opportunity to catch the ball in game situations.
    Call it common sense reasoning on my part.

How would a conversation go...''well we're not going to throw to TEs much, but you'll get ample chances in practice.'' Somehow I don't see an elite TE prospect jumping at that sales pitch.

And yet, here they are, lining up to play for the Dawgs. What's up with that?

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@JRT812 said:

@WCDawg said:

@mlee said:

This is my thinking.

Kirby told them how he PLANS to use TEs, but we heard things that have yet to transpire about Chaney's skill in that area.
    Also the idea that Fromm came to UGA having never thrown to TEs is nonsense, his brother Tyler was his TE at Houston County and he had 543 receiving yards 15.5 YPC and 5 tds in Jake's senior season.
    As another poster mentioned, stacking the box actually leaves teams vulnerable to quick 10 to 15 yard slants that TEs are built for.

I am trying to understand CKS told his tight end recruits that hey we recruited top running backs and road grader O-linemen much better wide receivers so that you tight ends will be open ever play and we can through to you? The most important thing A talented TE needs to learn when he gets to college is to block.