Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Who else is ready to see Nauta live up to his potential?

Comments

• CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

@cusedawg said:
    If he buys into the blocking schemes, he will see a lot more playing time in '18. My guess, and hope, is that when he does start blocking, he will not be taken off the field very often and become a true star on this team. He certainly has the talent for it! Seriously, what linebacker is going to cover this guy? His upside is nearly limitless!

It doesn’t matter his potential in the Chaney system. TE’s come to UGA and see their potential die cause Chaney doesn’t have a clue how to incorporate them like he should.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CoachRob16 said:

@cusedawg said:
    If he buys into the blocking schemes, he will see a lot more playing time in '18. My guess, and hope, is that when he does start blocking, he will not be taken off the field very often and become a true star on this team. He certainly has the talent for it! Seriously, what linebacker is going to cover this guy? His upside is nearly limitless!

It doesn’t matter his potential in the Chaney system. TE’s come to UGA and see their potential die cause Chaney doesn’t have a clue how to incorporate them like he should.

Hey @CoachRob16 , there’s a TE position coaching spot open! Maybe you should coach!

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@chattanoogadawg said:
    @WCDawg The middle was crowded due to all the effort to stop the run. Leaves corners on islands. Hence the out routes, fades, slants, curls (easy throws on man coverage). Either you agree or you think he’s incapable of throwing over the middle.. it’s not like they weren’t running routes

It's up to coaches to put TEs in positions to succeed, it's not the job of a true freshman QB.
    An average OC can make the easy calls, it takes some talent to get the ball to your best players when defensive schemes take away the easiest routes.
    Our TEs have far too much collective ability to be confined to some 1970s notion of only throwing to them on 10 to 15 yard routes in the center of the field.

@JRT812 said:
    The TE’s were used this year. It was just different than what we’re used to seeing. Happy Ford wants to come here

I want players to come to UGA and both help the team and achieve their potential. I'm not interested in conning 18 year old kids.
    The truth is these guys will not get the attention of NFL scouts the way they are being used at UGA.
    They should be concerned with their futures, just like everybody else.
    Given current evidence I would not have advised Ford to come to UGA, Oklahoma would have made good sense, which might explain why our TEs coach just went there.

• mleemlee Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I would love to see all the kids on our team to be the best at their position..

@mlee said:
    I would love to see all the kids on our team to be the best at their position..

This is my thinking.
    I don't want kids to be selfish, but that goes both ways.
    If we're not going to give a kid an good shot at achieving his potential and dreams, don't recruit him. All of our TEs combined had 250 yards and 2 tds over 15 games. That comes to 20 yards a game and a single td every 7th game divided among 4 players, that won't get a kid drafted or prepared for The NFL.
    By contrast Oklahoma's top TE had 958 yards and 8 tds over 14 games, now they have our TE coach as well. It couldn't have been fun for Beamer either.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seems this dead horse has some life. We kept the TE’s in to block due to teams loading the box. It worked. We ran the ball welland made the NCG. Would rather we’d targeted the TE’s and not run the ball as well? It’s what the staff wanted. I have a feeling the Chaney knows how to throw to the TE, when the situation requires it.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Someone may transfer, and if so dont worry about it. Attrition is a necessity.

@donm said:
    Seems this dead horse has some life. We kept the TE’s in to block due to teams loading the box. It worked. We ran the ball welland made the NCG. Would rather we’d targeted the TE’s and not run the ball as well? It’s what the staff wanted. I have a feeling the Chaney knows how to throw to the TE, when the situation requires it.

@donm said:

My only point is use them or don't recruit them.
    This is the biggest opportunity almost all of these guys will get in this life. We owe it to them ALL to do everything we can to make sure they reach their potential.
    If it's not at UGA, let them sign elsewhere.

• BigDawg96BigDawg96 Posts: 51 ✭✭ Sophomore

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@donm said:

This is the biggest opportunity almost all of these guys will get in this life. We owe it to them ALL to do everything we can to make sure they reach their potential.

I understand where you are coming from but I do think your opinion is a bit short sighted. Kids in the recruiting process want to win. They want a chance to play for championships. As a athlete who recently went through the recruiting process himself, I think that is the main concern on most players minds. Yes if Issac nauta was at a Florida, vandy or ole miss he would be the featured pass catcher for their offense but I think if you ask him he'd rather be in the playoffs and playing for a natty championship in his hometown.

@BigDawg96 said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@donm said:

I understand where you are coming from but I do think your opinion is a bit short sighted. Kids in the recruiting process want to win. They want a chance to play for championships. As a athlete who recently went through the recruiting process himself, I think that is the main concern on most players minds. Yes if Issac nauta was at a Florida, vandy or ole miss he would be the featured pass catcher for their offense but I think if you ask him he'd rather be in the playoffs and playing for a natty championship in his hometown.

These kids want to get to the NFL when they come in at Nauta's level.
    If he gets more opportunities, fine, otherwise he will have made a mistake coming to UGA.
    He did have a good first year for a freshman, so there is reason to think it was just a one year thing.
    Remember though, we thought Chaney needed to target TEs more LAST year, then he dropped to less than half of the passes to TEs this season.
    I'm sorry, but if I was Ford's coach or Dad I would have wanted him at Oklahoma or another program that targets their TEs a lot.

• Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg96 said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@donm said:

If he gets more opportunities, fine, otherwise he will have made a mistake coming to UGA.
    He did have a good first year for a freshman, so there is reason to think it was just a one year thing.
    Remember though, we thought Chaney needed to target TEs more LAST year, then he dropped to less than half of the passes to TEs this season.
    I'm sorry, but if I was Ford's coach or Dad I would have wanted him at Oklahoma or another program that targets their TEs a lot.

Way too many “we don’t use our TE threads.” Kirby has addressed this and it was referenced in this thread. TE are thrown to more frequently when teams play in a zone defense. Since teams stacked the box against us all yr TEs weren’t open. They were also used to block for our backfield. This isn’t Madden or fantasy football. Chaney has historically used TEs in his passing game so I’m sure our TEs will get theirs next season as teams start respecting our passing game more.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think we all wanted to see the TEs targeted more in the passing game but they played an important part of the offense. With Nick and Sony gone the play calling will be more open next season.

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@donm said:

So you don't want to sign any tight ends? I am sure the pros will find Nauta and will appreciate how well he can block and, if he can catch ( know he can) they'll find a way to get him the ball. I think he will be a fine tight end - a pass catcher who can block. He won't be overlooked.

• SWARLES_BARKLEYSWARLES_BARKLEY Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I always have the same response when people bring up the “not using TEs” complaint:

Specifically name the players that got the ball too many times, in which the tight ends should have been targeted instead. I’ll wait.

There are a finite number of snaps, you play to your strengths and within your limitations. I think the offense did a **** good job with a freshman QB thrown unexpectedly into the fire in the first game.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He needs to be targeted more than twice a game.

@Bigcalidawg said:
    He needs to be targeted more than twice a game.

I agree to disagree with you on this one.

• SWARLES_BARKLEYSWARLES_BARKLEY Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2018

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg96 said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@donm said:

You’re acting like our tight ends are riding pine the whole year. They’re not; they’re on the field all game, sometimes 2 or 3 at a time. For one, Nauta has caught passes. He also dropped a crucial pass in the Rose Bowl and almost cost us the game. I don’t enjoy bringing that up, but you’re the one suggesting UGA is doing him a personal disservice. It’s ridiculous.

He will have more than enough film to go pro after this next season. He’s a physical freak, he blocks well, and can run after the catch. It’s ignorant to suggest the NFL won’t know about him because he doesn’t have 800 yards receiving and 14 TDs.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I get it that he needs to block, but I just see him as doing better on Sundays than he is in our system.

I believe the coaches are handling it correctly, but Nauta is not a traditional tight end.