Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Who else is ready to see Nauta live up to his potential?

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Dawg19 said:
    Bama under saban has also underutilized it's tight ends. When they actually used them, OJ Howard would go off for like 200 yards. A good tight end is nearly unstoppable in college, and we have about 4 of them. I'm not saying you can't win without using your TE's, but we certainly could and should use them more. I'm more than happy with our offensive performance this year, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice that we didn't throw to TE's much.

Agreed, it is also common sense to see utilizing all your assets makes you tougher to defend.
    Look at The Falcons when Suckisian came in and stopped distributing the ball like Shanahan did.
    We won't always have the best stable of RBs in the game to lean on either.

Then we may start throwing more to the TE's as well as the WR's.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@SWARLES_BARKLEY said:
    “We don’t use our tight ends” is just another “our offensive playcalling sucks”.

Every single fan base says it, and it’s usually the negative nancies. We just played in a national title game. Is there really nothing that can make you guys happy or appreciate that just maybe the coaching staff pulled out everything they had and deserve a pat on the back instead of this crap?

I'm not complaining about results, though obviously utilizing assets is always a plus.
    I just don't think it's right if we're making promises we won't keep to recruits.

I look at every other position we're recruiting strong at and I'm sure the players made a good choice in signing with us, not so much at TE though.

What promises are you privy to that we aren’t? Are you on all the recruiting visits of our TEs?

No elite player in their right mind would sign with a team unless they were convinced they'd be prepared for and have an opportunity to fulfill their potential.
    A TE can't be prepared for The NFL without being given sufficient opportunity to catch the ball in game situations.
    Call it common sense reasoning on my part.

How would a conversation go...''well we're not going to throw to TEs much, but you'll get ample chances in practice.'' Somehow I don't see an elite TE prospect jumping at that sales pitch.

And yet, here they are, lining up to play for the Dawgs. What's up with that?

''What's up with that ?'' is exactly the point question.

• Options

@oldon42 said:

@WCDawg said:

@JRT812 said:

@WCDawg said:

@mlee said:
    I would love to see all the kids on our team to be the best at their position..

This is my thinking.
    I don't want kids to be selfish, but that goes both ways.
    If we're not going to give a kid an good shot at achieving his potential and dreams, don't recruit him. All of our TEs combined had 250 yards and 2 tds over 15 games. That comes to 20 yards a game and a single td every 7th game divided among 4 players, that won't get a kid drafted or prepared for The NFL.
    By contrast Oklahoma's top TE had 958 yards and 8 tds over 14 games, now they have our TE coach as well. It couldn't have been fun for Beamer either.

Apparently, the truth was told to them when Kirby came in on how TE’s would be used at UGA going forward. Basing that off what I read on the home page.

Kirby told them how he PLANS to use TEs, but we heard things that have yet to transpire about Chaney's skill in that area.
    Also the idea that Fromm came to UGA having never thrown to TEs is nonsense, his brother Tyler was his TE at Houston County and he had 543 receiving yards 15.5 YPC and 5 tds in Jake's senior season.
    As another poster mentioned, stacking the box actually leaves teams vulnerable to quick 10 to 15 yard slants that TEs are built for.

I am trying to understand CKS told his tight end recruits that hey we recruited top running backs and road grader O-linemen much better wide receivers so that you tight ends will be open ever play and we can through to you? The most important thing A talented TE needs to learn when he gets to college is to block.

You're just being the standard fan.
    A recruit is RECRUITED. Of course blocking is important, but Oklahoma's Andrews isn't going to be the 1st TE drafted because of his blocking.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Gronk is who Gronk is bc he loves and is good at blocking. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be on the Pats, he'd be like Kellen Winslow.

I think this obsession with throwing to the TEs is a product of fantasy football. I don't understand why people on here can't see that with a freshman QB and an inexperienced line and a team that wanted to establish the run the TEs were going to be needed to block. Also in the SEC, the DLs are much tougher and will call for TEs to hang in and block.

Can we all just wait until the 2018 season and see what happens? The line will be established and so will the QB. I'm guessing we see Nauta and Charlie getting in on the pass-catching action much more. But I'm sure even if they do it won't be enough for some people and they will start calling for Chaney's head and whining about how they only had one TD in the game instead of three

• Options

@Kasey said:
    Gronk is who Gronk is bc he loves and is good at blocking. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be on the Pats, he'd be like Kellen Winslow.

I think this obsession with throwing to the TEs is a product of fantasy football. I don't understand why people on here can't see that with a freshman QB and an inexperienced line and a team that wanted to establish the run the TEs were going to be needed to block. Also in the SEC, the DLs are much tougher and will call for TEs to hang in and block.

Can we all just wait until the 2018 season and see what happens? The line will be established and so will the QB. I'm guessing we see Nauta and Charlie getting in on the pass-catching action much more. But I'm sure even if they do it won't be enough for some people and they will start calling for Chaney's head and whining about how they only had one TD in the game instead of three

agree. But being like Kellen Winslow isn't all that bad, is it? Are you talking about KW senior or junior? Senior could catch and block quite well. I guess you are referring to Junior. I think his short career was due more to head problems than anything else.

• Options

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

agree. But being like Kellen Winslow isn't all that bad, is it? Are you talking about KW senior or junior? Senior could catch and block quite well. I guess you are referring to Junior. I think his short career was due more to head problems than anything else.

meant Junior. I know senior is a HOFer. Junior was a bit of a head case though

• Options
    chattanoogadawgchattanoogadawg Posts: 151 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg You're feeling sorry for a guy who doesn't even feel that way himself. Nauta wants to win games and knows he probably has two more years w/ a proven qb. His touches will come. You can't just throw out the Mackey Award winner's stats and say "this is what we should have" lol c'mon.

• Options

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

Show me a TE who has been drafted in the early rounds who wasn't either very productive as a receiver in college or a freak like OJ Howard who was drafted almost entirely on potential as a pass catcher.
    I get this, you're always going to get strong push back from fans on a site dedicated to a team if you have any opinion that can be perceived as not 100% selling the program.
    Bottom line, Nauta and Luke Ford need to catch the ball to train and display their ability or coming to UGA will be costly.

• Options

Also Gronk is Gronk for his blocking...that is complete nonsense.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

if he didn't block as well as he did, his pass catching wouldn't have the same impact

• Options

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

if he didn't block as well as he did, his pass catching wouldn't have the same impact

His pass catching would have EXACTLY the same impact if he wasn't a good blocker.
    No doubt even for him blocking has to be part of his game, but he is getting rich for his pass catching contributions.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

His pass catching would have EXACTLY the same impact if he wasn't a good blocker.
    No doubt even for him blocking has to be part of his game, but he is getting rich for his pass catching contributions.

ok

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

Show me a TE who has been drafted in the early rounds who wasn't either very productive as a receiver in college or a freak like OJ Howard who was drafted almost entirely on potential as a pass catcher.
    I get this, you're always going to get strong push back from fans on a site dedicated to a team if you have any opinion that can be perceived as not 100% selling the program.
    Bottom line, Nauta and Luke Ford need to catch the ball to train and display their ability or coming to UGA will be costly.

I don't think the size of a player's NFL bonus/signing salary is first and foremost in the minds of the coaching staff. So far, it doesn't seem to have hurt us in recruiting tight ends or any other position, for that matter.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another day has passed and here we are still complaining about the 15th ranked offense in the land, and theoretical promises people think our coaches are telling recruits. It’s clear that Fromm had a better rapport with his receivers than TEs this season. He’s got all offseason to work with the TEs, and more time for the o-line to gel and allow the ends to go out on more passing routes, rather than stay in and block... I too was concerned about TE involvement during the season. So, I watched the TEs closely during the games (and as I rewatched games), and what I found was Nauta rarely gets separation from his defender. He needs to work on that if he wants more balls.

• Options

@Teddy said:
    and what I found was Nauta rarely gets separation from his defender. He needs to work on that if he wants more balls.

This. Didn't want to admit it, but that's exactly what I saw.

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

I don't think the size of a player's NFL bonus/signing salary is first and foremost in the minds of the coaching staff. So far, it doesn't seem to have hurt us in recruiting tight ends or any other position, for that matter.

You're only interested in selling the program, that is not conducive to having an honest conversation.
    This is not about any other position, I've made it clear I consider our program as a great choice for every other position we recruit.
    If Ford thought this season would be typical of how our TEs will be used going forward I doubt we would have been able to sign him. If he was convinced he'd be used in a manner beneficial to his future then we have an obligation beyond just how he can benefit the program. We have an obligation to give him the proper training and IF he does the work and is qualified, get him the game enough in games to both train him and showcase his ability.

The way our TEs were used this season would likely lead to none even getting drafted, that's not fair to them in my opinion.

• Options

@WCDawg said:
    The way our TEs were used this season would likely lead to none even getting drafted, that's not fair to them in my opinion.

Did you project Terry to have a choice between the NFL and staying in school prior to the season? No, no one did. It’s too early to proclaim “We don’t use the tight end” just because you don’t think they have enough targets. Let them develop

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

You're only interested in selling the program, that is not conducive to having an honest conversation.
    This is not about any other position, I've made it clear I consider our program as a great choice for every other position we recruit.
    If Ford thought this season would be typical of how our TEs will be used going forward I doubt we would have been able to sign him. If he was convinced he'd be used in a manner beneficial to his future then we have an obligation beyond just how he can benefit the program. We have an obligation to give him the proper training and IF he does the work and is qualified, get him the game enough in games to both train him and showcase his ability.

I get your point. Again, I'll agree to disagree on this point.

• Options

@chattanoogadawg said:

@WCDawg said:

Did you project Terry to have a choice between the NFL and staying in school prior to the season? No, no one did. It’s too early to proclaim “We don’t use the tight end” just because you don’t think they have enough targets. Let them develop

Nauta had far more yardage as a true freshman than he did this year.
    I didn't start this thread you know, I never said the TEs wouldn't be targeted more either.
    I did state my firm opinion that a TE who is interested in playing pro ball needs in an offense that gets the ball to him, which was not the case this season.
    It's up to our coaches, they can include them more if they make the effort.