Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Who else is ready to see Nauta live up to his potential?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    superdawgsuperdawg Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:
    Seems this dead horse has some life. We kept the TE’s in to block due to teams loading the box. It worked. We ran the ball welland made the NCG. Would rather we’d targeted the TE’s and not run the ball as well? It’s what the staff wanted. I have a feeling the Chaney knows how to throw to the TE, when the situation requires it.

@donm said:
    Seems this dead horse has some life. We kept the TE’s in to block due to teams loading the box. It worked. We ran the ball welland made the NCG. Would rather we’d targeted the TE’s and not run the ball as well? It’s what the staff wanted. I have a feeling the Chaney knows how to throw to the TE, when the situation requires it.

My only point is use them or don't recruit them.
    This is the biggest opportunity almost all of these guys will get in this life. We owe it to them ALL to do everything we can to make sure they reach their potential.
    If it's not at UGA, let them sign elsewhere.

What a ridiculous statement.....just crazy

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@superdawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@donm said:

This is the biggest opportunity almost all of these guys will get in this life. We owe it to them ALL to do everything we can to make sure they reach their potential.

What a ridiculous statement.....just crazy

Truly. TE should be outlawed outside of the Power 5 conferences since they rarely produce NFL talent. Here are some more stats for you.
    Most NFL teams have 3 active TEs on their roster. So right around 100 TEs in the NFL, with an average career of just over 4+ years. A lot of those guys were undrafted FA pickups. You know this because since 2008, the NFL has drafted an average of 14.9 TE per year. Only 8 TEs have been drafted in the 1st round during that span, and that includes the 3 from last year.

Amazing that we had like 6-7 TEs in the NFL like 10 years ago. We didnt win anything but at least we were producing NFL TE talent.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@oldon42 said:

@donm said:

@oldon42 said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:
    Gronk is who Gronk is bc he loves and is good at blocking. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be on the Pats, he'd be like Kellen Winslow.

I think this obsession with throwing to the TEs is a product of fantasy football. I don't understand why people on here can't see that with a freshman QB and an inexperienced line and a team that wanted to establish the run the TEs were going to be needed to block. Also in the SEC, the DLs are much tougher and will call for TEs to hang in and block.

Can we all just wait until the 2018 season and see what happens? The line will be established and so will the QB. I'm guessing we see Nauta and Charlie getting in on the pass-catching action much more. But I'm sure even if they do it won't be enough for some people and they will start calling for Chaney's head and whining about how they only had one TD in the game instead of three

agree. But being like Kellen Winslow isn't all that bad, is it? Are you talking about KW senior or junior? Senior could catch and block quite well. I guess you are referring to Junior. I think his short career was due more to head problems than anything else.

Show me a TE who has been drafted in the early rounds who wasn't either very productive as a receiver in college or a freak like OJ Howard who was drafted almost entirely on potential as a pass catcher.
    I get this, you're always going to get strong push back from fans on a site dedicated to a team if you have any opinion that can be perceived as not 100% selling the program.
    Bottom line, Nauta and Luke Ford need to catch the ball to train and display their ability or coming to UGA will be costly.

I understand what you are saying about tight ends but it also true of wide receivers and running backs. Every pass thrown to a tight end is a pass not thrown to a wide receiver or a running play not handed off to a running back. As good as Nauta is you are not likely to convence me that he and Woerner are better tight ends than Chubb, Michel and Swift were as running backs. There is also the thought that if you throw a pass four things can happen and only one of them is good.

Incomplete, intercepted and complete - what’s the 4th. Sack.? I always heard it was 3 and only one was good via Darrell Royal

My mistake it is three. This does not change the point.

You are correct. the point remains the same and is valid today as it was back in Darrell Royal's day.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@WCDawg said:
    why would a kid with NFL dreams come to UGA as a TE ?

Because Georgia is, bar none, the best place in the universe to spend your college years. Some things in life are more important than NFL contracts.

Sorry, but that is naive.
    No parent or mentor should tell a young man that.
    One good NFL contract would be enough to change lives, not just the player's life but his wife and children's lives for the better.

This notion of pretending football football players are somehow a breed apart bothers me. We all have the same priorities in life. Where we spend our college years is important, but not nearly as important as what comes next.

I'll keep practicing so I'll be as un-naive as you one day.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MyKeithbb09 said:

@DawgsofWar said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:
    Smells like a troll got out

At least have the guts to be direct.
    I don't see anything to suggest there is any trolling.
    Anybody with the ability to read stats can see see have done a very poor job at utilizing TEs .
    why would a kid with NFL dreams come to UGA as a TE ? The NFL doesn't give blocking TEs big contracts.
    What I am is a true UGA fan who manages to remain honest.

If you were a true UGA fan, you would realize that Kirby did utilize TEs properly this year.
    If you were a true UGA fan, you would be happy that these kids did choose to play for Georgia rather than any other school.
    If you were a true UGA fan, you would realize that everybody on a team plays a role. Hence TEs playing a blocking role last year to get the RBs a hole to run in.

His post doesn't mean he isn't a true fan & truthfully he is right when it comes to UGA TEs when it comes to us catching passes in our system. But I do also see the other side of the example given about our 1st year year the last 2 years adding the situation with OL also. Fromm will be better in his 2nd year with the addition of a way better OL also,so our TEs will catch more passes I truly believe in the upcoming years. His post doesn't mean he isn't a true UGA fan because he season things different from how you see things. If you understood football you would get his point but I'm wrong for saying that because 2 people can see the same thing but just see them differently. GoDawgs

''A true UGA fan''.
    That is the most childish argument of all.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@MyKeithbb09 said:

@DawgsofWar said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:
    Smells like a troll got out

At least have the guts to be direct.
    I don't see anything to suggest there is any trolling.
    Anybody with the ability to read stats can see see have done a very poor job at utilizing TEs .
    why would a kid with NFL dreams come to UGA as a TE ? The NFL doesn't give blocking TEs big contracts.
    What I am is a true UGA fan who manages to remain honest.

If you were a true UGA fan, you would realize that Kirby did utilize TEs properly this year.
    If you were a true UGA fan, you would be happy that these kids did choose to play for Georgia rather than any other school.
    If you were a true UGA fan, you would realize that everybody on a team plays a role. Hence TEs playing a blocking role last year to get the RBs a hole to run in.

His post doesn't mean he isn't a true fan & truthfully he is right when it comes to UGA TEs when it comes to us catching passes in our system. But I do also see the other side of the example given about our 1st year year the last 2 years adding the situation with OL also. Fromm will be better in his 2nd year with the addition of a way better OL also,so our TEs will catch more passes I truly believe in the upcoming years. His post doesn't mean he isn't a true UGA fan because he season things different from how you see things. If you understood football you would get his point but I'm wrong for saying that because 2 people can see the same thing but just see them differently. GoDawgs

''A true UGA fan''.
    That is the most childish argument of all.

The torch and pitch fork mob mentality is by far the most annoying aspect of ''home boards''.
    Some FANS are like children in their knee jerk defense of all things US.
    If everybody posted like them we would have zero worthwhile conversations we'd all just prattle on about how super great everything is.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@donm said:

Who's to say that learning how to play unselfish ball and to block is not what is best for these TE's? They do that and the entire team does better. If Nauta blocks well enough, he remains on the field and suddenly, we have another threat in the receiver corps. I believe the TE's will be targeted more in 2018 if they block well enough. All this is assuming Fromm has time to throw.

• Options

@JayDog said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@donm said:

Who's to say that learning how to play unselfish ball and to block is not what is best for these TE's? They do that and the entire team does better. If Nauta blocks well enough, he remains on the field and suddenly, we have another threat in the receiver corps. I believe the TE's will be targeted more in 2018 if they block well enough. All this is assuming Fromm has time to throw.

We could recruit pure blocking TEs who do that single thing better than any of the TEs on roster other than Harris ( who I would have considered converting to OT).
    Nobody has made a case based on what is best purely for the team, but this is not an ant farm, these are young men with aspirations beyond their college careers.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

what is best purely for the team, but this is not an ant farm, these are young men with aspirations beyond their college careers.

yes and they chose to come to UGA and, so far, stay there, despite blocking more and catching less. If they believe their futures are in jeopardy, they should transfer to Oklahoma, where they can catch 100 balls a year.

• Options
    corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:

@chattanoogadawg said:
    I think Luke Ford might be the true pass catcher we all want.

I think Woerner is the better blocker and Nauta is the better catcher. Could be wrong because I can't remember what the tight ends looked like catching passes

I can't either. Do we even have tight ends in our passing game?

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@JayDog said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@donm said:

We could recruit pure blocking TEs who do that single thing better than any of the TEs on roster other than Harris ( who I would have considered converting to OT).
    Nobody has made a case based on what is best purely for the team, but this is not an ant farm, these are young men with aspirations beyond their college careers.

We could recruit pure blocking TE's, and lose a potential weapon. But you didn't answer my point. So let me ask again, who is to say what these TE's did last season was not best thing for their NFL futures? Learning how to block at a high level, and how to read defenses, is pretty valuable at the next level. Nauta can catch the ball. He came in doing it. What he lacked was blocking skill.

This past season was about rewarding Chubb and Michel for returning, and about protecting a true freshman QB. And I believe it was about getting our TE's to block better. Kirby does the same thing with WR's. Gotta block to get the rock.

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@oldon42 said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:
    Gronk is who Gronk is bc he loves and is good at blocking. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be on the Pats, he'd be like Kellen Winslow.

I think this obsession with throwing to the TEs is a product of fantasy football. I don't understand why people on here can't see that with a freshman QB and an inexperienced line and a team that wanted to establish the run the TEs were going to be needed to block. Also in the SEC, the DLs are much tougher and will call for TEs to hang in and block.

Can we all just wait until the 2018 season and see what happens? The line will be established and so will the QB. I'm guessing we see Nauta and Charlie getting in on the pass-catching action much more. But I'm sure even if they do it won't be enough for some people and they will start calling for Chaney's head and whining about how they only had one TD in the game instead of three

agree. But being like Kellen Winslow isn't all that bad, is it? Are you talking about KW senior or junior? Senior could catch and block quite well. I guess you are referring to Junior. I think his short career was due more to head problems than anything else.

Show me a TE who has been drafted in the early rounds who wasn't either very productive as a receiver in college or a freak like OJ Howard who was drafted almost entirely on potential as a pass catcher.
    I get this, you're always going to get strong push back from fans on a site dedicated to a team if you have any opinion that can be perceived as not 100% selling the program.
    Bottom line, Nauta and Luke Ford need to catch the ball to train and display their ability or coming to UGA will be costly.

I understand what you are saying about tight ends but it also true of wide receivers and running backs. Every pass thrown to a tight end is a pass not thrown to a wide receiver or a running play not handed off to a running back. As good as Nauta is you are not likely to convence me that he and Woerner are better tight ends than Chubb, Michel and Swift were as running backs. There is also the thought that if you throw a pass four things can happen and only one of them is good.

Incomplete, intercepted and complete - what’s the 4th. Sack.? I always heard it was 3 and only one was good via Darrell Royal

My mistake it is three. This does not change the point.

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Buy the way I was listening the BA and JS interview of John FitzPatrick last night. It came out that Nauta is Georgia's smallest TE.